Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 424 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 468 reviews
on March 19, 2013
WD is usually a very good and reliable drive but this model has some issues. After a few days the unit started to dismount itself randomly at about a rate of every 20 to 30 minutes. After checking the web to see if I was doing something wrong I found out that this is a well known issue but no one knows what is the problem.
Thie unit was directly attached to a Macbook pro via the supplied USB cable. Tried it on my iMac and my wife's MacBook the same result. Changing the cable did not help either. I have been using MacBooks and external drives for the last 13 years and never had this problem with any other hard drive. Avoid this model. It took me 4 days to get my data off of it to return it since I only could do a few folders at a time before it dismounted and stopped the copying process. And I had to figure out where in the process it had failed and start from there to continue.
It also would not do secure erase of my data since the MacBook would not have time to securely erase all data before the unit dismounted. what a big mess.
on August 4, 2013
As a video editor, it is not uncommon for a single project to take a substantial amount of your hard drive. The need to order this drive arose when I saw the remaining disk space on my computer hit the single digits. After several months of use, I can say I am pleasantly surprised with its performance and ease of use.

Packaging:
The device came in a small flip-open box; inside was a manual, a small USB 3.0 cable, and the portable drive.

Performance:
To ensure compatibility between my Windows and Mac computers, I decided to reformat the drive from HFS+ to FAT32. About 1.8 TB of disk space are usable after conversion and formatting, more than I needed at this moment.
The drive is hot-swappable out of the box, meaning as long as no files are being transferred, you can just pull the drive out when you are done.
The first speed test yielded speeds of up to 115 MB/s, overall averaging at about 95 MB/s, completing an 55 GB transfer in less than 10 minutes. A huge step up from my previous Corsair 64 GB USB 2.0 flash drive, which topped off at a measly 15 MB/s, making the same 55 GB transfer take over an hour.

Design:
The drive is compact and portable. Easily fits in a laptop bag or a back pocket.
The outer casing is made out of a hard plastic that is smooth to the touch. The feel is very sturdy and high-quality nonetheless.
The front of the device has a standard USB 3.0 connector which is completely different from the Micro USB connectors I am so used to. Still, the wider length makes the connection very solid and resists accidental disconnections.
The cable itself is of very high build quality and has blue-colored endings to indicate USB 3.0 support.
The drive has a small LED indicator in the front, which is solid when its connected, and begins to blink repeatedly as data is transferred.
The device does not come with a carrying case, so I would also recommend purchasing one unless you own a laptop bag or plan on keeping this device on a desk.

Pros:
Speeds up to 7 times faster than traditional USB 2.0.
Compact size and solid design.
The drive is bus powered, meaning it does not need an external power supply to be usable while accessing files.

Cons:
No carrying case included, though some are extremely cheap here at Amazon.

Winning Points:
Bus-power and USB 3.0 support were the were major winning points towards the decision to purchase this drive.

The portable drive is now three quarters of the way full, time to purchase another one!
on December 26, 2012
::::: CONTEXT :::::

I'm a photographer that's always on the go. I keep my Lightroom library on an external drive, since it's so massive. I had previously been using a LaCie Rugged drive, which works nicely but I ran out of room.

Having recently purchased a MacBook Pro Retina, I now have both USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt. The choice was not only what capacity and manufacturer, but which connectivity method as well.

::::: USB 3.0 vs THUNDERBOLT :::::

Thunderbolt looks like it's going to be a great technology in the future, but it's currently in its infancy. Not only that, you pay a massive premium. I first purchased a LaCie 2TB Little Big Disk, only to have it show up DOA (from another big retailer, not Amazon). It was only after that fiasco that I realized something; I need at least 1TB, so that means, within my budget, I'm relegated to HDD, not SDD. Therefore, my speed is actually limited by the hard drive itself, not the connectivity method.

With that new realization, I was between this drive and the LaCie 1TB Rugged Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 External Hard Drive. With too many bad reviews out there and costing more than twice the price, I decided it just wasn't worth it. This little WD won.

::::: BUILD :::::

This appears to be a pretty quality piece. It feels like plastic to me, but its fine finish feels very similar to the MBP's finish, and they LOOK identical. WD wasn't joking around about the whole "for Mac" thing. Is it as durable as the LaCie Rugged drives I'm used to? I have no clue, and I don't intend to find out. I'm very careful with my belongings and I've never dropped or damaged something like this. I guess I'll continue to be careful and see what happens as time goes on.

In general, I transport small, valuable items in Pelican cases. They're the best. They're a major reason I've never really damaged any of my belongings.

::::: PERFORMANCE :::::

I ran a few tests and I averaged a 115 MB/s speed for both reading and writing. Not bad! Certainly better than USB 2.0 or even FireWire 800. I'm not sure what else to say; it's fast :)

::::: VALUE :::::

It's great speed, nice compact build and terrific looks all for a very reasonable price. Going with USB 3.0 over Thunderbolt was the right choice for me at this time. I'm very happy with my purchase!
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on January 25, 2013
Read all the reviews of this and competing products. I chose this because it was described as working seamlessly with a MacBook Pro and Time Machine. Have only used it once so far and it worked fine. I just used it as a plug and play with Time Machine and did not install/use the additional WD software based on other somewhat negative reviews on it. Thus far, I'm satisfied. It is smaller and lighter than I expected. I think the dimensions on the site are incorrect and I could have purchased a case at the same time but didn't because it wasn't clear that it would fit based on the given dimensions of the drive and the recommended cases. Drive is actually slightly less than 4.5 x 3.25 x .5". Much smaller and lighter than my previous iOmega IGo (with less capacity for an older MacBook).
on January 8, 2013
I bought this for my Macbook mid 2010 (not Pro) because of 2 main things. 1) It's always a good thing to have a backup of your Mac handy. Hard Drive failures DO happen, even on a Mac sadly. 2) I am getting another laptop so I needed the information off my Mac.

The first thing you will notice about this External hard Drive was the size, it's TINY. Fits in the palm of my hand easily.

The second? It's incredibly fast. I transferred my entire library about 280GB of data in about 4 hours. That's not too shabby for USB 2.0

Sadly, it doesn't have a metal enclosure. I dropped a star because of that. It's made of a strong plastic/matte, but it still feels decently made. Not too heavy either.

It comes with ONE port that connects the USB cable to the drive. Nothing else.

Buy this thing, you'll have no regrets, trust me.

PROS:
Fast USB 3.0 transfer with backward compatible USB 2.0
Small and Sleek

CONS:
Not a metal enclosure.
on February 22, 2013
.... besides Applecare.
I rarely write reviews, so please bear with me.

I own a 2012 15 inch macbook pro and have had some awful problems with it. I need to send it in to Applecare, but they highly recommended that I backed up my hard drive. I took the opportunity to do so since this also gave me an excuse to buy an external HD for some extra storage.

So, this was my very first external hard drive. This was also my very first product from WD and I wasn't sure what to expect. I needed something that would be fast, easy to use, and fairly cheap (college student). My search narrowed down between this product and another from OWC (which are "guaranteed to work with Apple products"). The WD ended up to be way cheaper, so I took a chance went with the WD and I couldn't be any happier.

The drive was beautifully packaged in a compact box as it displayed the great aluminum casing that captures Apple's aesthetic touch. The drive is also very small and sleek! I was actually pretty surprised how nice it looked. It's only a little wider and thicker than the iPhone 5, but it's also way shorter. I'm able to comfortably fit the drive in my pocket.

The best part of this product was the ease of use and the speed. All I did was plug it in my pro to the usb port and selected "use as a back up" on the pop up and then Time Machine will do it's thing. That's all you have to do!

Not knowing how long it would take, I went to go do some errands for about 15 minutes and by the time I came back it was completely done backing up all 100GB of my data.

I then tested to make sure the back up worked and now I am typing this review from the pure satisfaction it has given me. The only thing I have yet to test is the life of this product and the capability of using it as a backup and storage, but I've read on other various forums that it is able to do so.

I'll keep this review updated as time goes by, but as for now this has won over my five stars. Now I'm off to mailing off the Pro (ugh)

Also, this is a response to the "So-so" review claiming that the casing it's not aluminum.

I honestly cannot tell the difference (I posted a picture). Comparing the texture and color with the casing on my pro is pretty much identical with the WD casing. Even so, I would much, much, MUCH, rather have the casing be made from a durable polymer than the easily bendable aluminum. I seriously can't tell you the amount of dents and knicks and the Pro is prone to as a portable laptop. Yes, it's very pretty, but the actual concept design of using such a weak metal is truly flawed. My pro has been through three bodies already. Two of those have been from the handling and shipping process of mailing the laptop, Just the shipping and handling! The other was from a two foot drop on carpet.
on May 26, 2016
This has to be one of the worst hard drives on the market. I have stored all of my client shoots on the drive and recently it became corrupt and would not allow me to access the files on the drive. I called customer service and since my warranty was out of date by a few months, they would not service the product. They agreed to send me a new cable in an attempt to fix the issue, but they sent me the wrong cable even after I gave them the serial and model numbers... Now I have an ugly paper weight on my desk, and a lot of unhappy clients. Thanks Western Digital
on February 1, 2013
I bought the 500 GB version. Plugged the included USB cable into my Mac Air and immediately backed it up with Time Machine; no installation or preparation of any kind was needed. This little hard drive gets its power through the data cable, so no power cord is needed. It is also very fast and silent; 100 MB incremental backups seem to take about 5-10 seconds, but most of that is probably taken up by the Time Machine software preparing the data. Size is roughly that of a pack of cards. It's configured with 4 small rubber tab supports to rest on its large side with the "WD My Passport for MAC" label facing up (not on its end as shown in the primary photo). Weight is 5 ounces, so it is easy to carry about. It comes with a 2 year warranty in the USA, but Western Digital is supposed to be very reliable, so I don't expect to use it.
on August 2, 2016
Ordered this for my Mac desktop which is running an older OS, Mountain Lion. Plugged it in but the prompts for backing up with Time Machine failed to appear. Called WD Tech Support. Dude told me this was a Windows formatted hard drive and would need to be reformatted to Mac which would be simple. I tried to tell him it was supposed to be for Mac but he didn't seem interested. We spent 20min trying to reformat it before he gave up. His conclusion: the hard drive is defective. I've sent it back, awaiting refund.
on May 5, 2013
My previous external hard drive for my computer was a 1.5 TB 3.5" Seagate. It was good and reliable, however was large, very loud, and required a usb cable as well as an external wall wort power supply.

This EHDD is very quiet and has USB 3.0 speeds comprable to eSATA. Even though it's a slower HDD, it's still faster than my seagate because of the interface. It also doesn't need a power cable, so I plug it into my mac mini and off I go! This is the main reason for choosing this: less cable clutter!

I was looking at other EHDD's, and what I love the most about this product was the fact that it's cheaper than its PC counterpart. Why? I could easily format this for a PC, yet it was $40 cheaper when I purchased it because it says "for Mac"on it. I appreciate that, especially when I use it on my PC!

I couldn't ask for more! ...Well that's not true, but for the price it's quite the sweet spot!