Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Format: Plastic Comb|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,092 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,332 reviews
on January 24, 2017
Ok... so I ordered the Deluxe Edition Hardcover... AND THERE IS NO BUNNY. I had this book as a child, and was looking to purchase it for a friend's new baby. Upon receipt, I opened the book to relive the Pat The Bunny magic. They go on and on about how they have included pages from the 1940 version.. but in doing so, they have LEFT OUT THE BUNNY. IS THIS A JOKE? I am FLABBERGASTED. The whole point of the book is to PAT THE BUNNY. I don't care about the new shakey buttons and the squeaky ball. This book was a classic in it's FULL form, to exclude classic things from the book to include others ( Daddy's scratchy beard as another example), is disappointing. But to remove the bunny... absolute FAILURE.
33 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 15, 2017
There are so many wonderful interactive, texturized books now that appeal to a small child who's just beginning explore their five senses, so it's easy to forget that they were a rare novelty back in the late 30's when Dorothy Kunhardt wrote this book for the youngest of her four children, a then 3 year old daughter named Edith (originally published in 1940), who would grow up and become a children's book author/illustrator herself (including expanding on her mother's gift to her with 1984's Pat the Cat, 1991's Pat the Puppy, and 1997's Pat the Pony.) I bought this as an Easter gift for our first granddaughter... she'll only be 6 months old at Easter, it'll be a bit before she's old enough to have it read to her (though they develop much more quickly than we think), so I must be honest in that I bought it as much for my own sense of nostalgia as for her!

I'd forgotten all about this book until I came across it on the Amazon book editors list of "100 Children's Books to Read in a Lifetime", but it instantly stirred a long ago memory, as did the VERY old-fashioned looking illustrations and VERY simple text in this book with main characters Paul and Judy (reminded me a bit of the old "Dick and Jane" readers of my gradeschool days, which used sight words and repetition rather than an emphasis on phonics to teach us how to read.) The only sense not covered in the Deluxe (referred to as Hardback on this listing) edition of the book is taste, since there are flowers to smell along with "Mummy's button box" to hear rattling upon shaking, and the squeak of "dolly's ball" when pressed (with the last two - covering 4 pages - restored from the original 1940 version - referred to as Spiral Bound on this listing - pages which are NOT included in what's being referred to as the Plastic Comb edition on this listing... even though the Deluxe Hardback ALSO has plastic comb binding! There's a difference in the size... the Deluxe Hardback is bigger, though not "double the size" as stated.) Other activities are (of course!) a furry bunny to pat, a piece of cloth covering Paul's face to lift up and play "peek-a-boo", a mirror to look in, "Daddy's scratchy face" to touch (which is actually just a final unshaven strip on one of his jaws), a hole cut out in the middle of "Mummy's ring" to stick a finger through, along with a short little book-within-the-book for Judy (and your youngster) to read. It did provide a nostalgic smile as I turned the pages...

But that's when I remembered why I've never been a fan of books with combs in the binding! Oh my goodness... not once, but twice as I myself VERY gently turned the pages of the book while reading and then re-reading it a second time, the entire comb attachment came apart from the book... can't begin to imagine how quickly and often that would happen when a young child's eager little fingers were turning the pages! Our little lady has three older brothers, and this book will never survive until her 1st birthday if they get hold of it first, so I'll be sure to suggest it be put up and out of sight until she's ready for it. The measurements shown on this listing (8.1 x 1.5 x 9.2) for the Deluxe Hardback (with its imprinted $14.99 US price on the back of the partial box it comes in, with a hard plastic overwrap enclosing it) are of the box, while the book itself is 7-7/8" x 1-1/4" x 9", which is larger (but not double the size) of what's called Plastic Comb edition (shown as 5.1 x 1.1 x 5.6).

Bottom line? A true classic. But if I'd known that this Deluxe Hardback edition also had comb binding, I'd have done a thorough search for one of the original spiral bound books and tried to buy one in very good/excellent condition from a reputable vendor. So I'm in a quandry as to how to rate it... 5 stars (love it) for its historical significance, 5 stars for the fact that it includes the additional four pages from the original, but 1 star (hate it) for the comb binding. I guess I'll go with 5 stars, along with a strong word of caution.
on September 7, 2017
Bought as a gift for a baby shower. This is a classic baby book!
on September 6, 2017
Such fun for little ones . . . Your never alone with a book . . . And it's never to early to begin a lifelong love of reading!
on November 12, 2002
This is an awesome book and a classic! My 18 month old twin girls have really been into touch and feel books. This is definitely one of their favorites. It has soft textures, scratchy texture, and the peek-a-boo is their favorite as well as the mirror. It also has a scent page, which is great as well. The only thing I would change is to make it more durable. I've already taped it back together, and the comb binding comes undone easily when toddlers are handling it. It is still a great book, and I would recommend it to anyone with toddlers. At least it fits in my purse or diaper bag easily because it is small and lightweight.
on September 11, 2017
Perfect for the littlest ones. More reasonable on Amazon than at Barnes & Noble.
on September 13, 2017
perfect gift for littles
on February 18, 2010
I have got to read the dimensions better on products I get! I do this a lot. It is much smaller than I had imagined. It is, as it says, 5 inches by 5 inches. I was picturing it bigger. It is a little small for my 7 month old. I will have to wait to really get use of it.

Update: My son is now one year old and the small size is good in his hands. I just got the book out again and read it to him. He likes it a lot. He liked the bunny and other interactive bits. There is a little mirror and a piece of cloth among others. I do not know how long it will last being so small and somewhat fragile, what with the card stock, double-ply pages. But it is cute and I have a better view of it now that my son is older and able to play with it more.

Update. Binding total junk. Book has fallen apart. Kids like story and interactive but we read it as a bunch of loose pages.
on April 23, 2006
I received this book from a friend 27 years ago on my son's first birthday. I read to him everyday and this was always one of the books he wanted me to read to him. He now has a brand new daughter and I will be sending the old book that her daddy read and I'll also buy a new one for her very own.

Great book to teach children about different textures.

I would definitely recommend this to any new mother or grandmother for that new baby.

Thanks for a classic children's book.

From a mother and now a grandmother.
on June 1, 2015
This was my absolute favorite book as a baby, toddler, and kid! When I bought it for my son I knew he'd LOVE it and he did! He's almost 5 and STILL loves this book.! We've even purchased the interactive app from iTunes which is also super cute and fun! I will agree that if you choose the "plastic comb" version of the book, which is how it was originally made I believe, or at least how it was when I was little hence the reason I bought it that way, you do have to be careful and watch the little's with it. With that said, I run a full time childcare and the book it in their book shelf/reading nook and even with 5 babies/children, ages 1-5, reading it & playing with it fairly regularly we haven't had any pages come off as of yet. I do keep an eye on them when they read it and continuously remind them to be soft and gentle with it but so far we've had nothing but great times with it. The kids all adore it and you will not be disappointed either! If you're worried about it being broken tho you can opt for the hardcover "deluxe" edition instead! Enjoy this classic read! :)