Oil month Automotive HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

Pat the Bunny (Touch and Feel Book)
Format: Plastic Comb|Change

on January 24, 2017
Ok... so I ordered the Deluxe Edition Hardcover... AND THERE IS NO BUNNY. I had this book as a child, and was looking to purchase it for a friend's new baby. Upon receipt, I opened the book to relive the Pat The Bunny magic. They go on and on about how they have included pages from the 1940 version.. but in doing so, they have LEFT OUT THE BUNNY. IS THIS A JOKE? I am FLABBERGASTED. The whole point of the book is to PAT THE BUNNY. I don't care about the new shakey buttons and the squeaky ball. This book was a classic in it's FULL form, to exclude classic things from the book to include others ( Daddy's scratchy beard as another example), is disappointing. But to remove the bunny... absolute FAILURE.
44 comments| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 19, 2015
The story is 5 stars but the binding and book construction is 1 star! The "plastic comb" binding is terrible! The pages separate easily and the "teeth" of he binding get bent. This is a book for babies and toddlers and the construction is meant for delicate handling. I seriously do not know why the publisher/ manufacturer of this book chose this kind of terrible binding. We are always constantly trying to put the pages back together. It's an enjoyable and classic book but not worth the frustration.
review image
22 comments| 177 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 15, 2016
For some reason my daughter really likes this book. Especially the page that rattles. But every review about the binding is right. It is terrible. I ended up taking off the binding and using yarn to hold it together and now she loves it even more because she likes how the yarn feels.
review image
11 comment| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 23, 2016
"Plastic Comb" version fell apart, so i exchanged it for the "hardcover" version. GUESS WHAT? it's STILL bound by a plastic comb! only the hardcover front, spine, and back "hide" the comb! it will still fall apart. This is not the book i loved as a child (the small version that's about 6x6"), instead it's quite large and the plastic comb binding is terrible. Don't be misled!
11 comment| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 26, 2016
I just purchased this book for my 10 month old grandson and it arrived yesterday. I was hoping the "deluxe edition" would have a better binding than the regular edition. After one day of gentle reading with him, I picked up the book and somehow the comb binding had already separated from the book. (See picture). I tried to put it back together (I'm a teacher and have worked with comb bindings for years), but this was virtually impossible because the cover has two parallel holes for each tooth and there are 14 teeth to try to fit back in. Thankfully Amazon is so good about returns. This will be going back and I will get the cheaper version and not worry if it is destroyed.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 15, 2017
There are so many wonderful interactive, texturized books today that appeal to a small child who's just beginning explore their five senses, it's so easy to forget that they were a rare novelty back in the late 30's when Dorothy Kunhardt wrote this book for the youngest of her four children, a then 3 year old daughter named Edith (originally published in 1940), who would grow up and become a children's book author/illustrator herself (including expanding on her mother's gift to her with 1984's Pat the Cat, 1991's Pat the Puppy, and 1997's Pat the Pony.) I bought this as an Easter gift for our first granddaughter... she'll only be 6 months old at Easter, it'll be a bit before she's old enough to have it read to her (though they develop much more quickly than we think), so I must be honest in that I bought it as much for my own sense of nostalgia as for her!

I'd completely forgotten all about this book until I came across it on the Amazon book editors list of "100 Children's Books to Read in a Lifetime", but it instantly stirred a long ago memory, as did the VERY old-fashioned looking illustrations and VERY simple text in this book with main characters Paul and Judy (reminded me a bit of the old "Dick and Jane" readers of my gradeschool days, which used sight words and repetition rather than an emphasis on phonics to teach us how to read.) The only sense not covered in the Deluxe (referred to as Hardback on this listing) edition of the book is taste, since there are flowers to smell along with "Mummy's button box" to hear rattling upon shaking, and the squeak of "dolly's ball" when pressed (with the last two - covering 4 pages - restored from the original 1940 version - referred to as Spiral Bound on this listing - pages which are NOT included in what's being referred to as the Plastic Comb edition on this listing... even though the Deluxe Hardback ALSO has plastic comb binding! There's a difference in the size... the Deluxe Hardback is bigger, though not "double the size" as stated.) Other activities are (of course!) a furry bunny to pat, a piece of cloth covering Paul's face to lift up and play "peek-a-boo", a mirror to look in, "Daddy's scratchy face" to touch (which is actually just a final unshaven strip on one of his jaws), a hole cut out in the middle of "Mummy's ring" to stick a finger through, along with a short little book-within-the-book for Judy (and your youngster) to read. It did provide a nostalgic smile as I turned the pages...

However, that's when I remembered why I've never been a fan of books with combs in the binding! Oh my goodness... not once, but twice as I myself VERY gently turned the pages of the book while reading and then re-reading it a second time, the entire comb attachment came apart from the book... can't begin to imagine how quickly and often that would happen when a young child's eager little fingers were turning the pages! Our little lady has three older brothers, and this book will never survive until her 1st birthday if they get hold of it first, so I'll be sure to suggest it be put up and out of sight until she's ready for it. The measurements shown on this listing (8.1 x 1.5 x 9.2) for the Deluxe Hardback (with its imprinted $14.99 US price on the back of the partial box it comes in, with a hard plastic overwrap enclosing it) are of the box, while the book itself is 7-7/8" x 1-1/4" x 9", which is larger (but not double the size) of what's called Plastic Comb edition (shown as 5.1 x 1.1 x 5.6).

So what's the bottom line, in my opinion? A true classic. But if I'd known that this Deluxe Hardback edition also had comb binding, I'd have done a thorough search for one of the original spiral bound books and tried to buy one in very good/excellent condition from a reputable vendor. So I'm in a quandry as to how to rate it... 5 stars (love it) for its historical significance, 5 stars for the fact that it includes the additional four pages from the original, but 1 star (hate it) for the comb binding.
0Comment| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 22, 2018
Pat the Bunny is wonderful. But the other two are so disappointing, it is hard to truly do justice to how disappointing they are. One of the activities is to pretend you're watching TV. That's right! Want your child to read a book when they want to watch TV? Why not pretend to watch TV. It's not like books can open up the imagination and introduce new worlds, they're just sad imitators to TV.

These books are not intended for babies for toddlers. They're for preschoolers. Pat the Bunny is rated for kids 1 and up, but the other two are rated for kids 2-3 years old, so even though they say "First Books for Baby" the manufactured doesn't even pretend they are appropriate.

My son LOVES Pat the Bunny, and it gets us about 30 minutes of entertainment during our 9 hours of commuting each week. It lives in my pocket. I was thinking if my son got 1/4 the engagement with the other two, it would be well worth it, but there was literally nothing added by the two new books.

Pat the Bunny has a mirror, peek-a-boo, a book to read, a bunny to pat, and even a hole to explore. All of these engage my son. (We don't use the deluxe edition on our commute, and the 2 added pages have less engagement for him, as does smelling the flowers and touching the man's scratchy face. What's interesting to me, though, is that he has seemed to engage more with different activities at different times.

Pat the Cat has a pat to cat (identical activity), take out a thin cardboard pencil out of a thin cardboard pocket and write a list (this would be destroyed in 10 seconds--this isn't appropriate for a little kid), take a piece of cardboard 'money' out of an ATM (again, thin cardboard and the money isn't attached to the book!), put the money in a wallet, rock two cardboard kids on a see saw (too fragile for little hands and not really engaging), scratch and sniff a ginger snap (but doesn't smell much, and my 15-month-old can't actually scratch it), play hide and seek (similar to the peek-a-book, but not as good, because my toddler doesn't play it yet) and squeeze a teddy-bear. This last page has actually engaged my toddler. He can't make it squeak (because his hands are the size of a baby), but he did enjoy squishing it one time.

Pat the Puppy is even more disappointing. It has FOUR activities that involve manipulating cardboard tabs (like the see-saw in Pat the Cat, they are all inappropriate for a little kid to be able to just play with), it has 'feel smooth sunglasses" (no interest to my child after "That's not my Train" and "that's not my Polar Bear"), pat a puppy (totally fine, but identical to pat the bunny activity) scratch and sniff brownies (which I will say smelled sweet, when I scratched--my son couldn't scratch it). The one activity that I think was a good idea was unfastening velcro. My son didn't get into it, but I think that activity was really worth doing, and some kids would like that.
on January 28, 2018
There is no way this product would survive a toddler. I ended up returning it because I didn't want to pick up dessimated pieces of this book off the floor constantly.
on April 23, 2018
First off, props to Amazon. I ordered this book brand-new and received a (used) book with stains on the pages. I called Amazon and I explained the book was supposed to be an Easter gift. They shipped a replacement that same day and I received a new book the next day! Their service is excellent!

As for the book: My little one loves it! I think it might be his favorite book so far.
The pages are well-constructed and the illustrations are very cute. I love how interactive the book is (the ball really squeaks, the trinket box really rattles etc.) This book should definitely be a staple in your child’s library.

I’ve added (3) pictures of the first (dirty) book I received and finally the replacement book.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on March 24, 2018
Years ago, my baby enjoyed this book; we kept it in the diaper bag as handy "entertainment." It had a plastic comb and the pages were easy to turn. This version still has the bunny and daddy's beard (unlike what the one reviewer said) but the pages are awkward to turn and lay unevenly when book is closed. This would definitely not be baby/toddler friendly, despite the fact that it says for babies. I returned it.