Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Final Fantasy XIV Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Format: Plastic Comb|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,062 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,295 reviews
on January 24, 2017
Ok... so I ordered the Deluxe Edition Hardcover... AND THERE IS NO BUNNY. I had this book as a child, and was looking to purchase it for a friend's new baby. Upon receipt, I opened the book to relive the Pat The Bunny magic. They go on and on about how they have included pages from the 1940 version.. but in doing so, they have LEFT OUT THE BUNNY. IS THIS A JOKE? I am FLABBERGASTED. The whole point of the book is to PAT THE BUNNY. I don't care about the new shakey buttons and the squeaky ball. This book was a classic in it's FULL form, to exclude classic things from the book to include others ( Daddy's scratchy beard as another example), is disappointing. But to remove the bunny... absolute FAILURE.
on January 15, 2016
For some reason my daughter really likes this book. Especially the page that rattles. But every review about the binding is right. It is terrible. I ended up taking off the binding and using yarn to hold it together and now she loves it even more because she likes how the yarn feels.
review image
on June 5, 2016
So the book overall is cute with the interactive pages. But the construct of it is flimsy. I bought the hardbook and shouldn't have wasted my money because it's exactly the same but with a hard cover. The binding is still the same and my little guy will prob rip this book wide open any second now. Also, this book literally arrived damaged even though it comes in a nice box.
review image
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 15, 2017
There are so many wonderful interactive, texturized books now that appeal to a small child who's just beginning explore their five senses, so it's easy to forget that they were a rare novelty back in the late 30's when Dorothy Kunhardt wrote this book for the youngest of her four children, a then 3 year old daughter named Edith (originally published in 1940), who would grow up and become a children's book author/illustrator herself (including expanding on her mother's gift to her with 1984's Pat the Cat, 1991's Pat the Puppy, and 1997's Pat the Pony.) I bought this as an Easter gift for our first granddaughter... she'll only be 6 months old at Easter, it'll be a bit before she's old enough to have it read to her (though they develop much more quickly than we think), so I must be honest in that I bought it as much for my own sense of nostalgia as for her!

I'd forgotten all about this book until I came across it on the Amazon book editors list of "100 Children's Books to Read in a Lifetime", but it instantly stirred a long ago memory, as did the VERY old-fashioned looking illustrations and VERY simple text in this book with main characters Paul and Judy (reminded me a bit of the old "Dick and Jane" readers of my gradeschool days, which used sight words and repetition rather than an emphasis on phonics to teach us how to read.) The only sense not covered in the Deluxe (referred to as Hardback on this listing) edition of the book is taste, since there are flowers to smell along with "Mummy's button box" to hear rattling upon shaking, and the squeak of "dolly's ball" when pressed (with the last two - covering 4 pages - restored from the original 1940 version - referred to as Spiral Bound on this listing - pages which are NOT included in what's being referred to as the Plastic Comb edition on this listing... even though the Deluxe Hardback ALSO has plastic comb binding! There's a difference in the size... the Deluxe Hardback is bigger, though not "double the size" as stated.) Other activities are (of course!) a furry bunny to pat, a piece of cloth covering Paul's face to lift up and play "peek-a-boo", a mirror to look in, "Daddy's scratchy face" to touch (which is actually just a final unshaven strip on one of his jaws), a hole cut out in the middle of "Mummy's ring" to stick a finger through, along with a short little book-within-the-book for Judy (and your youngster) to read. It did provide a nostalgic smile as I turned the pages...

But that's when I remembered why I've never been a fan of books with combs in the binding! Oh my goodness... not once, but twice as I myself VERY gently turned the pages of the book while reading and then re-reading it a second time, the entire comb attachment came apart from the book... can't begin to imagine how quickly and often that would happen when a young child's eager little fingers were turning the pages! Our little lady has three older brothers, and this book will never survive until her 1st birthday if they get hold of it first, so I'll be sure to suggest it be put up and out of sight until she's ready for it. The measurements shown on this listing (8.1 x 1.5 x 9.2) for the Deluxe Hardback (with its imprinted $14.99 US price on the back of the partial box it comes in, with a hard plastic overwrap enclosing it) are of the box, while the book itself is 7-7/8" x 1-1/4" x 9", which is larger (but not double the size) of what's called Plastic Comb edition (shown as 5.1 x 1.1 x 5.6).

Bottom line? A true classic. But if I'd known that this Deluxe Hardback edition also had comb binding, I'd have done a thorough search for one of the original spiral bound books and tried to buy one in very good/excellent condition from a reputable vendor. So I'm in a quandry as to how to rate it... 5 stars (love it) for its historical significance, 5 stars for the fact that it includes the additional four pages from the original, but 1 star (hate it) for the comb binding. I guess I'll go with 4 stars, along with a strong word of caution.
on July 19, 2014
Same classic book, but would have preferred the smaller size....this is a bit larger than I anticipated, so look at sizes before you buy. When my kids were young, I had the smaller size which was easier to hold and turn the pages
This is NOT a problem with the book, just a comment about being aware of the size and weight of the book. Holding a baby on your lap, getting their short arms and little hands on the page to the textures makes it cumbersome to then lean back to turn the pages. Totally personal preference.
on November 4, 2015
Ok so i started reading this book to my son at..3 or 6 months and hes 14 months now. He loves the book and remembers everything about it. The only reason im giving this deluxe edition pat the bunny book 4 stars is because its still not very sturdy. The other two i bought him before were the small spiral bound versions; didnt last through the chewing,throwing, etc. I bought this one expecting and actual board book/hardcover. The case i guess you can say is hardcover but once you open it up its spiral bound! A few tugs and those pages will be ripped out before you know it. Im 10 weeks pregnant now and plan on reading this to him/her when theyre born but idk if this will last either.

Update: i recieved this book november 4th, november 12th the pages seperated from the binding. Like i said wont last and not much of a "deluxe edition". Had to take off one star for that
on June 1, 2013
This darling simple book is so sweet and perfect for toddlers age 1-2. All 3 of my children have read it lovingly with Daddy, as they love to feel "Daddy's scratchy face." This version is larger and includes some extra spreads: shake Mummy's button box, squeak the dolly's ball, and look in the mirror. I have no idea why these pages would have been excluded from previous versions if they were part of the original. Note that the book is necessarily delicate, so you will want to keep it away from the baby when you are not reading together.
on April 11, 2017
The very best first book!
on October 23, 2012
I purchased this book for my 16 month old. Having read many of the reviews here referencing the malfunction of the plastic comb, I opted to go with the more expensive "deluxe" version, assuming that it would, indeed, be deluxe and of superior quality. I was pretty bummed when I opened the book to find that it is still bound with a plastic comb. I would think a binding similar to a spiral bound notebook would be a better suit yet still provide the same style they are going for.

I read the book to the baby, turning the pages gingerly. He LOVED the story. My 2 older children got home from school, saw the book, and wanted to read to their little brother. I warned them to be careful & they were, however, the book just fell apart in my autistic 7 year old's hands. A regular functioning child might understand that it's not their fault, but not my child. He was extremely upset and now the book falls apart every time we read it. The baby is crazy about it, so we'll try to figure something out to use as an alternative binder.

If you're looking to purchase this book for yourself or as a gift, try to find one without the plastic comb binder :( What a disappointment.
on May 9, 2017
Great gift for baby's first Easter. Accompanied by the matching bunny, baby and parents very happy. Great aunt the best!