Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

Pat the Bunny (Touch and Feel Book)
Format: Plastic Comb|Change

on April 10, 2012
We received a copy of Pat the Bunny for a baby shower. My daughter loved the first book, but it was a small paper-back, plastic-spiral-bound version. When it was finally destroyed beyond repair, I started my search for a more durable copy. I found this one and purchased it because it said it was a board book. (To me, that meant it was a hard-cover with hard pages.) I was very disappointed to open the book and find it was still the same paper pages and plastic spiral binding. We've had it for 2 days, have read it twice and already had to put the entire group of pages back into the spiral binding. Absolutely love this story and will continue to read it with my daughter and future child, but I sure wish someone would make a true board book version.
44 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 24, 2017
Ok... so I ordered the Deluxe Edition Hardcover... AND THERE IS NO BUNNY. I had this book as a child, and was looking to purchase it for a friend's new baby. Upon receipt, I opened the book to relive the Pat The Bunny magic. They go on and on about how they have included pages from the 1940 version.. but in doing so, they have LEFT OUT THE BUNNY. IS THIS A JOKE? I am FLABBERGASTED. The whole point of the book is to PAT THE BUNNY. I don't care about the new shakey buttons and the squeaky ball. This book was a classic in it's FULL form, to exclude classic things from the book to include others ( Daddy's scratchy beard as another example), is disappointing. But to remove the bunny... absolute FAILURE.
33 comments| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 19, 2015
The story is 5 stars but the binding and book construction is 1 star! The "plastic comb" binding is terrible! The pages separate easily and the "teeth" of he binding get bent. This is a book for babies and toddlers and the construction is meant for delicate handling. I seriously do not know why the publisher/ manufacturer of this book chose this kind of terrible binding. We are always constantly trying to put the pages back together. It's an enjoyable and classic book but not worth the frustration.
review image
22 comments| 172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 16, 2011
I ordered a number of books for my godson who is 6months. I wanted pat the bunny, because of the good reviews on here and because it is a classic. I was NOT HAPPY when I recieved it, but I had opened it (so I couldnt return it) to get a better look because the book and box came very damaged on the sides. When he opened them today it was clearly his least favorite. I felt though that if I bought this book any later it would be very boring, even when he could actually read the words. Thank god I ordered huge board books of baby's first words,colors,and shapes, babys first animals, and baby's first 100 words cause he loves those. So for someone in a similar position, I'd buy this in person, or get a hardcover of it cause it damages fast.
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 20, 2002
Some things become life experiences not only for one's child, but for oneself. "Pat the Bunny" is such a book. It is so dear, so simple, and so very, very perfect that it is deceptive. It really can teach a very young baby about textures and colors and the fact that the world is a varied and wonderful place.
When my first child (now almost 18) was less than 6 months old, I would take her tiny hand and place her chubby fingers on each different texture...the bunny, the cloth, and of course my favorite...Daddy's scratchy beard! (a piece of sandpaper). I don't know how much of the simple and sweet words my daughter absorbed, but she was cuddled in my arms, being rocked (our favorite place to read) and she definitely liked to touch the textures. Now the interesting thing is that the book remained special, and when she should have outgrown it, she did not. It remained in the collection. I think that's because it is just so peaceful and simple, remnants of a former time.
If you are expecting, if one of your friends has a new baby, if you are a grandparent or a loving aunt or uncle, you cannot give a better book for a new baby. It will be that baby's cherished book in short order. Guaranteed. One word of warning, though. Make sure that you are buying the original, with all the textures. I saw one oversized board book version the other day, and its only texture was the cotton of the bunny, which carried through to each page. No no!! We need everything right for this book of a lifetime.
55 comments| 216 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 15, 2017
There are so many wonderful interactive, texturized books today that appeal to a small child who's just beginning explore their five senses, it's so easy to forget that they were a rare novelty back in the late 30's when Dorothy Kunhardt wrote this book for the youngest of her four children, a then 3 year old daughter named Edith (originally published in 1940), who would grow up and become a children's book author/illustrator herself (including expanding on her mother's gift to her with 1984's Pat the Cat, 1991's Pat the Puppy, and 1997's Pat the Pony.) I bought this as an Easter gift for our first granddaughter... she'll only be 6 months old at Easter, it'll be a bit before she's old enough to have it read to her (though they develop much more quickly than we think), so I must be honest in that I bought it as much for my own sense of nostalgia as for her!

I'd completely forgotten all about this book until I came across it on the Amazon book editors list of "100 Children's Books to Read in a Lifetime", but it instantly stirred a long ago memory, as did the VERY old-fashioned looking illustrations and VERY simple text in this book with main characters Paul and Judy (reminded me a bit of the old "Dick and Jane" readers of my gradeschool days, which used sight words and repetition rather than an emphasis on phonics to teach us how to read.) The only sense not covered in the Deluxe (referred to as Hardback on this listing) edition of the book is taste, since there are flowers to smell along with "Mummy's button box" to hear rattling upon shaking, and the squeak of "dolly's ball" when pressed (with the last two - covering 4 pages - restored from the original 1940 version - referred to as Spiral Bound on this listing - pages which are NOT included in what's being referred to as the Plastic Comb edition on this listing... even though the Deluxe Hardback ALSO has plastic comb binding! There's a difference in the size... the Deluxe Hardback is bigger, though not "double the size" as stated.) Other activities are (of course!) a furry bunny to pat, a piece of cloth covering Paul's face to lift up and play "peek-a-boo", a mirror to look in, "Daddy's scratchy face" to touch (which is actually just a final unshaven strip on one of his jaws), a hole cut out in the middle of "Mummy's ring" to stick a finger through, along with a short little book-within-the-book for Judy (and your youngster) to read. It did provide a nostalgic smile as I turned the pages...

However, that's when I remembered why I've never been a fan of books with combs in the binding! Oh my goodness... not once, but twice as I myself VERY gently turned the pages of the book while reading and then re-reading it a second time, the entire comb attachment came apart from the book... can't begin to imagine how quickly and often that would happen when a young child's eager little fingers were turning the pages! Our little lady has three older brothers, and this book will never survive until her 1st birthday if they get hold of it first, so I'll be sure to suggest it be put up and out of sight until she's ready for it. The measurements shown on this listing (8.1 x 1.5 x 9.2) for the Deluxe Hardback (with its imprinted $14.99 US price on the back of the partial box it comes in, with a hard plastic overwrap enclosing it) are of the box, while the book itself is 7-7/8" x 1-1/4" x 9", which is larger (but not double the size) of what's called Plastic Comb edition (shown as 5.1 x 1.1 x 5.6).

So what's the bottom line, in my opinion? A true classic. But if I'd known that this Deluxe Hardback edition also had comb binding, I'd have done a thorough search for one of the original spiral bound books and tried to buy one in very good/excellent condition from a reputable vendor. So I'm in a quandry as to how to rate it... 5 stars (love it) for its historical significance, 5 stars for the fact that it includes the additional four pages from the original, but 1 star (hate it) for the comb binding.
on April 18, 2013
I bought this book for my son after seeing it was so popular. But when I opened the package, I was blown away by the strong smell of PERFUME! The "Smell the flowers" page smells SOOO strong. Fragrances are SO unhealthy, toxic in fact. I am very strict about not having artificial fragrances in my home and especially around my child. They are endocrine disruptors as well as damaging to the immune system... not what I want my little boy exposed to.
If it was a natural fragrance such as lavender essential oil or peppermint.. something like that would be fine. I think putting scents in a sensory book is a great idea, but it has to be natural fragrance, not toxic chemical fragrance.

The fragrance alone was enough for me to send it back, but the quality is not what you'd expect. The plastic binding seems very cheap and fragile, and the pages are thick paper/thin cardboard. My son is only 6 months and I know the recommendation is 1-3 years, but my nephew is 2 years old, and this book wouldn't last long with him. WAY to flimsy. I would expect a texture book to be more sturdy because texture books seem to be more for babies under one year; older children are not as interested in texture books. My 6 month old LOVES textures right now. My 2 year old nephew on the other hand is more interested in stories and pictures. He doesn't really care about the textures much anymore.

Overall, this book was cute, but a huge miss in the key areas - quality/sturdiness - and come on you guys.... fragrance? This is just a terrible thing to put in a children's book! Get rid of the fragrance PLEASE!

One note about amazon: I requested a refund minutes after opening my package, and amazon refunded my money no questions asked, and even let me keep the book (not that I will actually keep it) I'm assuming because I'm such a valued customer ;) jk. THANK YOU amazon for being SO awesome! This is why I purchase from amazon! Because they offer outstanding customer service.
on January 15, 2016
For some reason my daughter really likes this book. Especially the page that rattles. But every review about the binding is right. It is terrible. I ended up taking off the binding and using yarn to hold it together and now she loves it even more because she likes how the yarn feels.
review image
11 comment| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 1, 2015
This is a larger sized book than the Pat the Bunny book I had purchased 25 years ago.The pages are sturdier and the little "book" within the book is much sturdier. It also has 2 pages that were in the original book, but not the one I had purchased 25 years ago. Overall I was very pleased with the book. Rarely is something improved like that in this day in age. And with Amazon's discounting, it was approximately the same price I had paid for it in 1995! What a deal!
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 26, 2016
I just purchased this book for my 10 month old grandson and it arrived yesterday. I was hoping the "deluxe edition" would have a better binding than the regular edition. After one day of gentle reading with him, I picked up the book and somehow the comb binding had already separated from the book. (See picture). I tried to put it back together (I'm a teacher and have worked with comb bindings for years), but this was virtually impossible because the cover has two parallel holes for each tooth and there are 14 teeth to try to fit back in. Thankfully Amazon is so good about returns. This will be going back and I will get the cheaper version and not worry if it is destroyed.