Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services SneakyPete SneakyPete SneakyPete  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Now STEM

Format: Plastic Comb|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,010 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,241 reviews
on January 24, 2017
Ok... so I ordered the Deluxe Edition Hardcover... AND THERE IS NO BUNNY. I had this book as a child, and was looking to purchase it for a friend's new baby. Upon receipt, I opened the book to relive the Pat The Bunny magic. They go on and on about how they have included pages from the 1940 version.. but in doing so, they have LEFT OUT THE BUNNY. IS THIS A JOKE? I am FLABBERGASTED. The whole point of the book is to PAT THE BUNNY. I don't care about the new shakey buttons and the squeaky ball. This book was a classic in it's FULL form, to exclude classic things from the book to include others ( Daddy's scratchy beard as another example), is disappointing. But to remove the bunny... absolute FAILURE.
on January 15, 2016
For some reason my daughter really likes this book. Especially the page that rattles. But every review about the binding is right. It is terrible. I ended up taking off the binding and using yarn to hold it together and now she loves it even more because she likes how the yarn feels.
review image
on October 23, 2012
I purchased this book for my 16 month old. Having read many of the reviews here referencing the malfunction of the plastic comb, I opted to go with the more expensive "deluxe" version, assuming that it would, indeed, be deluxe and of superior quality. I was pretty bummed when I opened the book to find that it is still bound with a plastic comb. I would think a binding similar to a spiral bound notebook would be a better suit yet still provide the same style they are going for.

I read the book to the baby, turning the pages gingerly. He LOVED the story. My 2 older children got home from school, saw the book, and wanted to read to their little brother. I warned them to be careful & they were, however, the book just fell apart in my autistic 7 year old's hands. A regular functioning child might understand that it's not their fault, but not my child. He was extremely upset and now the book falls apart every time we read it. The baby is crazy about it, so we'll try to figure something out to use as an alternative binder.

If you're looking to purchase this book for yourself or as a gift, try to find one without the plastic comb binder :( What a disappointment.
on November 4, 2015
Ok so i started reading this book to my son at..3 or 6 months and hes 14 months now. He loves the book and remembers everything about it. The only reason im giving this deluxe edition pat the bunny book 4 stars is because its still not very sturdy. The other two i bought him before were the small spiral bound versions; didnt last through the chewing,throwing, etc. I bought this one expecting and actual board book/hardcover. The case i guess you can say is hardcover but once you open it up its spiral bound! A few tugs and those pages will be ripped out before you know it. Im 10 weeks pregnant now and plan on reading this to him/her when theyre born but idk if this will last either.

Update: i recieved this book november 4th, november 12th the pages seperated from the binding. Like i said wont last and not much of a "deluxe edition". Had to take off one star for that
on January 11, 2009
Even though Pat the Bunny is such an old classic (published in 1940, and the first touch and feel book ever) I had never heard of it till my son was born 3 years ago. Many librarians and book experts recommended it for babies and young children. Thought about getting it when he was a small infant, almost did when my husband and I were in a bookstore and saw it there. But hubby convinced me it looked too cheap and flimsy, even I thought it looked pretty bland, by only by looking at the cover. Thought I would just see if it was at my local library instead of buying it.Then just forgot about it altogether.
When my daughter was born I tried to look for it in the library, they did not have a copy there. So I said, what the heck, maybe I will just order it from Amazon. Saw some really excellent reviews here, but also some saying the product was flimsy, not worth it, etc. I also wondered if it may even be too babyish for my now 3 year old son and even my daughter who is over 1 year old, since some reviewers were saying they got it for their infants.
Finally did order it and I must say I am really glad I did. I read on a children's book site that every toddler should "pat the bunny" and it is true!It is a very interactive experience, The children can pat the soft fur of the bunny(which is artificial by the way, animal lovers), play play "peek-a-boo" by lifting a "blanket"(a piece of fabric) to see one of the characters faces underneath (My kids LOVED this!), smell flowers that really smell like baby powder, feel a scratchy beard of the father character (sandpaper), read a little book within the book and finally put their little finger through "Mommmy's ring" in the book.
Both my son and my daughter loved the book, my son could not stop smiling throughout and my daughter seemed fascinated by every page too. I do recommend getting this book for your new baby or as a gift to new parents, but having said that, I don't think even a 3 or 4 year old is too mature for this book. Even though my son loves it when I read more wordy Dr. Seuss books or even a lengthy storybook like the story of Babar the elephant, he still liked this little book very much as mentioned.
As far as the illustrations go, yes as some people have mentioned they could be seen as unimpressive, or not very colourful, but this is a simple little book, where the focus is not really on a great visual experience, but more of an interactive one, and there is something soft and comforting about the pictures anyway.
A warning, I do agree with some of the reviewers, the book is a little flimsy, it is a plastic spiral book format,maybe that is the way it has always been, but it is not the best style, this is one thing I would like to change, however, just keep it high up somewhere, don't let the little ones have access to it, till you want to read to them. It is also a bit small ( about 4" by 3" rectangle) but I did not mind that and neither did the kids, it is cute size, I don't know if there is a bigger size available elsewhere, but this one from Amazon is small.
Overall very happy,sounds cliche, but "never judge a book by its cover!" Also, I must say Amazon's service was great,they delivered promptly. Thank you very much!
on October 23, 2013
My son has loved this book since he was a year old. He knows how to interact with all the different activities, and even tries to hug the bunny in addition to patting it. The Deluxe version is nice because it includes all the pages from the original version of the book, so there are even more activities to choose from. It's a fun, interactive reading experience that we engage in on a daily basis.

The construction of this book is horrendous. I intentionally bought the hardcover version to avoid the plastic comb binding that many of the other reviewers hated. I still ended up with a plastic comb book. The cover of the book is hollow cardboard covered with glossy finish paper. The interior pages are the thickness of about two sheets of posterboard. Many of the pages involve embedded objects, so the posterboard is used to sandwich those objects inside the page. This is not what I would consider a board book. The pages are flexible, bendable, and highly susceptible to drool.

The plastic comb binding is worthless. I hold the book and read it to the baby, and the pages still fall out. Once I put it back together for the 43rd time, I'm thinking of super-gluing the comb together. It's obvious that whoever prints this book did not put it in the hands of a child before deciding on this binding format.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 15, 2017
There are so many wonderful interactive, texturized books now that appeal to a small child who's just beginning explore their five senses, so it's easy to forget that they were a rare novelty back in the late 30's when Dorothy Kunhardt wrote this book for the youngest of her four children, a then 3 year old daughter named Edith (originally published in 1940), who would grow up and become a children's book author/illustrator herself (including expanding on her mother's gift to her with 1984's Pat the Cat, 1991's Pat the Puppy, and 1997's Pat the Pony.) I bought this as an Easter gift for our first granddaughter... she'll only be 6 months old at Easter, it'll be a bit before she's old enough to have it read to her (though they develop much more quickly than we think), so I must be honest in that I bought it as much for my own sense of nostalgia as for her!

I'd forgotten all about this book until I came across it on the Amazon book editors list of "100 Children's Books to Read in a Lifetime", but it instantly stirred a long ago memory, as did the VERY old-fashioned looking illustrations and VERY simple text in this book with main characters Paul and Judy (reminded me a bit of the old "Dick and Jane" readers of my gradeschool days, which used sight words and repetition rather than an emphasis on phonics to teach us how to read.) The only sense not covered in the Deluxe (referred to as Hardback on this listing) edition of the book is taste, since there are flowers to smell along with "Mummy's button box" to hear rattling upon shaking, and the squeak of "dolly's ball" when pressed (with the last two - covering 4 pages - restored from the original 1940 version - referred to as Spiral Bound on this listing - pages which are NOT included in what's being referred to as the Plastic Comb edition on this listing... even though the Deluxe Hardback ALSO has plastic comb binding! There's a difference in the size... the Deluxe Hardback is bigger, though not "double the size" as stated.) Other activities are (of course!) a furry bunny to pat, a piece of cloth covering Paul's face to lift up and play "peek-a-boo", a mirror to look in, "Daddy's scratchy face" to touch (which is actually just a final unshaven strip on one of his jaws), a hole cut out in the middle of "Mummy's ring" to stick a finger through, along with a short little book-within-the-book for Judy (and your youngster) to read. It did provide a nostalgic smile as I turned the pages...

But that's when I remembered why I've never been a fan of books with combs in the binding! Oh my goodness... not once, but twice as I myself VERY gently turned the pages of the book while reading and then re-reading it a second time, the entire comb attachment came apart from the book... can't begin to imagine how quickly and often that would happen when a young child's eager little fingers were turning the pages! Our little lady has three older brothers, and this book will never survive until her 1st birthday if they get hold of it first, so I'll be sure to suggest it be put up and out of sight until she's ready for it. The measurements shown on this listing (8.1 x 1.5 x 9.2) for the Deluxe Hardback (with its imprinted $14.99 US price on the back of the partial box it comes in, with a hard plastic overwrap enclosing it) are of the box, while the book itself is 7-7/8" x 1-1/4" x 9", which is larger (but not double the size) of what's called Plastic Comb edition (shown as 5.1 x 1.1 x 5.6).

Bottom line? A true classic. But if I'd known that this Deluxe Hardback edition also had comb binding, I'd have done a thorough search for one of the original spiral bound books and tried to buy one in very good/excellent condition from a reputable vendor. So I'm in a quandry as to how to rate it... 5 stars (love it) for its historical significance, 5 stars for the fact that it includes the additional four pages from the original, but 1 star (hate it) for the comb binding. I guess I'll go with 4 stars, along with a strong word of caution.
on April 9, 2016
Our family LOVEs this book! It is super cute, fun, easy, adorable, and just overall a great product. I was so excited to purchase this for my son (who is now 6 months) because it is a classic and just a fun and cute book for him to have. I love how simple the words are so young readers can do it themselves, but I also love how simple it is because when you are reading to a baby it is easier to be simple and concise. The fact that this is a touch and feel type of book with fun little commands makes the book even cuter. My baby isn't pro yet at following all the commands but he really loves "patting the bunny" and also playing peekaboo with the little kid. He doesn't really understand sniffing the flowers yet which I don't expect him to for a while, but that is why this book is so cool....it grows with the kid as they age! Definitely recommended as a must have book for new families. It would be fun for a baby shower or even as a birthday gift. Or just a fun extra book to buy for your son or daughter because I can guarantee they will love it for many years to come! My niece who is five years old always comes over and wants to read this book by herself and still thinks it is exciting to do all of the commands. Super cute and awesome!

Overall I think the quality of this book is so good and it is such a good price! Highly recommended from my family to yours!
on June 1, 2015
This was my absolute favorite book as a baby, toddler, and kid! When I bought it for my son I knew he'd LOVE it and he did! He's almost 5 and STILL loves this book.! We've even purchased the interactive app from iTunes which is also super cute and fun! I will agree that if you choose the "plastic comb" version of the book, which is how it was originally made I believe, or at least how it was when I was little hence the reason I bought it that way, you do have to be careful and watch the little's with it. With that said, I run a full time childcare and the book it in their book shelf/reading nook and even with 5 babies/children, ages 1-5, reading it & playing with it fairly regularly we haven't had any pages come off as of yet. I do keep an eye on them when they read it and continuously remind them to be soft and gentle with it but so far we've had nothing but great times with it. The kids all adore it and you will not be disappointed either! If you're worried about it being broken tho you can opt for the hardcover "deluxe" edition instead! Enjoy this classic read! :)
on November 14, 2012
This is a great touch-and-feel book, very tactile, living up to its reputation- but I have to say the reviews about this particular format are accurate in that the spiral binding stinks. My very first skim- the pages and the spiral came completely loose from the cover!! (With zero effort)

I ended up putting it back together in the reverse manner (I threaded the plastic spiral through the pages from the back to the front-- opposite of how it came), maybe better?Anyway it is a good book, is a nice size and does come in a nice box/slipcover, making it easy to gift-wrap.

Update: After several months now, since I reversed the spiral binding, I have had little to no trouble with the book coming apart. Only had a couple of prongs need to be relaced, a few times. My two year old enjoys looking at this book alone and it has held up.