Industrial Deals HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Get 10% back on select Bang & Olufsen products Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SWMTVT18_gno

Pat the Bunny (Touch and Feel Book)
Format: Plastic Comb|Change

on January 24, 2017
Ok... so I ordered the Deluxe Edition Hardcover... AND THERE IS NO BUNNY. I had this book as a child, and was looking to purchase it for a friend's new baby. Upon receipt, I opened the book to relive the Pat The Bunny magic. They go on and on about how they have included pages from the 1940 version.. but in doing so, they have LEFT OUT THE BUNNY. IS THIS A JOKE? I am FLABBERGASTED. The whole point of the book is to PAT THE BUNNY. I don't care about the new shakey buttons and the squeaky ball. This book was a classic in it's FULL form, to exclude classic things from the book to include others ( Daddy's scratchy beard as another example), is disappointing. But to remove the bunny... absolute FAILURE.
44 comments| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 19, 2015
The story is 5 stars but the binding and book construction is 1 star! The "plastic comb" binding is terrible! The pages separate easily and the "teeth" of he binding get bent. This is a book for babies and toddlers and the construction is meant for delicate handling. I seriously do not know why the publisher/ manufacturer of this book chose this kind of terrible binding. We are always constantly trying to put the pages back together. It's an enjoyable and classic book but not worth the frustration.
review image
22 comments| 177 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 15, 2016
For some reason my daughter really likes this book. Especially the page that rattles. But every review about the binding is right. It is terrible. I ended up taking off the binding and using yarn to hold it together and now she loves it even more because she likes how the yarn feels.
review image
11 comment| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 23, 2016
"Plastic Comb" version fell apart, so i exchanged it for the "hardcover" version. GUESS WHAT? it's STILL bound by a plastic comb! only the hardcover front, spine, and back "hide" the comb! it will still fall apart. This is not the book i loved as a child (the small version that's about 6x6"), instead it's quite large and the plastic comb binding is terrible. Don't be misled!
11 comment| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 26, 2016
I just purchased this book for my 10 month old grandson and it arrived yesterday. I was hoping the "deluxe edition" would have a better binding than the regular edition. After one day of gentle reading with him, I picked up the book and somehow the comb binding had already separated from the book. (See picture). I tried to put it back together (I'm a teacher and have worked with comb bindings for years), but this was virtually impossible because the cover has two parallel holes for each tooth and there are 14 teeth to try to fit back in. Thankfully Amazon is so good about returns. This will be going back and I will get the cheaper version and not worry if it is destroyed.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 15, 2017
There are so many wonderful interactive, texturized books today that appeal to a small child who's just beginning explore their five senses, it's so easy to forget that they were a rare novelty back in the late 30's when Dorothy Kunhardt wrote this book for the youngest of her four children, a then 3 year old daughter named Edith (originally published in 1940), who would grow up and become a children's book author/illustrator herself (including expanding on her mother's gift to her with 1984's Pat the Cat, 1991's Pat the Puppy, and 1997's Pat the Pony.) I bought this as an Easter gift for our first granddaughter... she'll only be 6 months old at Easter, it'll be a bit before she's old enough to have it read to her (though they develop much more quickly than we think), so I must be honest in that I bought it as much for my own sense of nostalgia as for her!

I'd completely forgotten all about this book until I came across it on the Amazon book editors list of "100 Children's Books to Read in a Lifetime", but it instantly stirred a long ago memory, as did the VERY old-fashioned looking illustrations and VERY simple text in this book with main characters Paul and Judy (reminded me a bit of the old "Dick and Jane" readers of my gradeschool days, which used sight words and repetition rather than an emphasis on phonics to teach us how to read.) The only sense not covered in the Deluxe (referred to as Hardback on this listing) edition of the book is taste, since there are flowers to smell along with "Mummy's button box" to hear rattling upon shaking, and the squeak of "dolly's ball" when pressed (with the last two - covering 4 pages - restored from the original 1940 version - referred to as Spiral Bound on this listing - pages which are NOT included in what's being referred to as the Plastic Comb edition on this listing... even though the Deluxe Hardback ALSO has plastic comb binding! There's a difference in the size... the Deluxe Hardback is bigger, though not "double the size" as stated.) Other activities are (of course!) a furry bunny to pat, a piece of cloth covering Paul's face to lift up and play "peek-a-boo", a mirror to look in, "Daddy's scratchy face" to touch (which is actually just a final unshaven strip on one of his jaws), a hole cut out in the middle of "Mummy's ring" to stick a finger through, along with a short little book-within-the-book for Judy (and your youngster) to read. It did provide a nostalgic smile as I turned the pages...

However, that's when I remembered why I've never been a fan of books with combs in the binding! Oh my goodness... not once, but twice as I myself VERY gently turned the pages of the book while reading and then re-reading it a second time, the entire comb attachment came apart from the book... can't begin to imagine how quickly and often that would happen when a young child's eager little fingers were turning the pages! Our little lady has three older brothers, and this book will never survive until her 1st birthday if they get hold of it first, so I'll be sure to suggest it be put up and out of sight until she's ready for it. The measurements shown on this listing (8.1 x 1.5 x 9.2) for the Deluxe Hardback (with its imprinted $14.99 US price on the back of the partial box it comes in, with a hard plastic overwrap enclosing it) are of the box, while the book itself is 7-7/8" x 1-1/4" x 9", which is larger (but not double the size) of what's called Plastic Comb edition (shown as 5.1 x 1.1 x 5.6).

So what's the bottom line, in my opinion? A true classic. But if I'd known that this Deluxe Hardback edition also had comb binding, I'd have done a thorough search for one of the original spiral bound books and tried to buy one in very good/excellent condition from a reputable vendor. So I'm in a quandry as to how to rate it... 5 stars (love it) for its historical significance, 5 stars for the fact that it includes the additional four pages from the original, but 1 star (hate it) for the comb binding.
0Comment| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 28, 2018
There is no way this product would survive a toddler. I ended up returning it because I didn't want to pick up dessimated pieces of this book off the floor constantly.
on March 24, 2018
Years ago, my baby enjoyed this book; we kept it in the diaper bag as handy "entertainment." It had a plastic comb and the pages were easy to turn. This version still has the bunny and daddy's beard (unlike what the one reviewer said) but the pages are awkward to turn and lay unevenly when book is closed. This would definitely not be baby/toddler friendly, despite the fact that it says for babies. I returned it.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 1, 2017
The story line is great and the moving parts are cute, however, the first thing I noticed is that the books are poor quality, making the costs higher than it should have been. Not very sturdy for those little small hands that might want to hold the book as they are touching the bunny, puppy and cat. The other thing that should be changed is the diversity. There is absolutely no diversity of races in any of the books, so that was a little disappointing.
on April 5, 2018
I received a book with 3 pages! I thought it was odd that this book was so highly regarded for something so simple. I then looked at the same book in Buy Buy Baby and realised I received a faulty book. It wasn't worth the return however this does warrant a bad review.

I would not buy this book from here as there is a possibility you wont be receiving the full book!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse