Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Get $5 off book purchases over $20* Use promo code GIFTBOOK17 Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo  Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

Pat the Bunny (Touch and Feel Book)
Format: Plastic Comb|Change

on February 19, 2015
The story is 5 stars but the binding and book construction is 1 star! The "plastic comb" binding is terrible! The pages separate easily and the "teeth" of he binding get bent. This is a book for babies and toddlers and the construction is meant for delicate handling. I seriously do not know why the publisher/ manufacturer of this book chose this kind of terrible binding. We are always constantly trying to put the pages back together. It's an enjoyable and classic book but not worth the frustration.
review image
22 comments| 152 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2017
Ok... so I ordered the Deluxe Edition Hardcover... AND THERE IS NO BUNNY. I had this book as a child, and was looking to purchase it for a friend's new baby. Upon receipt, I opened the book to relive the Pat The Bunny magic. They go on and on about how they have included pages from the 1940 version.. but in doing so, they have LEFT OUT THE BUNNY. IS THIS A JOKE? I am FLABBERGASTED. The whole point of the book is to PAT THE BUNNY. I don't care about the new shakey buttons and the squeaky ball. This book was a classic in it's FULL form, to exclude classic things from the book to include others ( Daddy's scratchy beard as another example), is disappointing. But to remove the bunny... absolute FAILURE.
33 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 15, 2017
There are so many wonderful interactive, texturized books now that appeal to a small child who's just beginning explore their five senses - it's so it's easy to forget that they were a rare novelty back in the late 30's when Dorothy Kunhardt wrote this book for the youngest of her four children, a then 3 year old daughter named Edith (originally published in 1940), who would grow up and become a children's book author/illustrator herself (including expanding on her mother's gift to her with 1984's Pat the Cat, 1991's Pat the Puppy, and 1997's Pat the Pony.) I bought this as an Easter gift for our first granddaughter... she'll only be 6 months old at Easter, it'll be a bit before she's old enough to have it read to her (though they develop much more quickly than we think), so I must be honest in that I bought it as much for my own sense of nostalgia as for her!

I'd forgotten all about this book until I came across it on the Amazon book editors list of "100 Children's Books to Read in a Lifetime", but it instantly stirred a long ago memory, as did the VERY old-fashioned looking illustrations and VERY simple text in this book with main characters Paul and Judy (reminded me a bit of the old "Dick and Jane" readers of my gradeschool days, which used sight words and repetition rather than an emphasis on phonics to teach us how to read.) The only sense not covered in the Deluxe (referred to as Hardback on this listing) edition of the book is taste, since there are flowers to smell along with "Mummy's button box" to hear rattling upon shaking, and the squeak of "dolly's ball" when pressed (with the last two - covering 4 pages - restored from the original 1940 version - referred to as Spiral Bound on this listing - pages which are NOT included in what's being referred to as the Plastic Comb edition on this listing... even though the Deluxe Hardback ALSO has plastic comb binding! There's a difference in the size... the Deluxe Hardback is bigger, though not "double the size" as stated.) Other activities are (of course!) a furry bunny to pat, a piece of cloth covering Paul's face to lift up and play "peek-a-boo", a mirror to look in, "Daddy's scratchy face" to touch (which is actually just a final unshaven strip on one of his jaws), a hole cut out in the middle of "Mummy's ring" to stick a finger through, along with a short little book-within-the-book for Judy (and your youngster) to read. It did provide a nostalgic smile as I turned the pages...

But that's when I remembered why I've never been a fan of books with combs in the binding! Oh my goodness... not once, but twice as I myself VERY gently turned the pages of the book while reading and then re-reading it a second time, the entire comb attachment came apart from the book... can't begin to imagine how quickly and often that would happen when a young child's eager little fingers were turning the pages! Our little lady has three older brothers, and this book will never survive until her 1st birthday if they get hold of it first, so I'll be sure to suggest it be put up and out of sight until she's ready for it. The measurements shown on this listing (8.1 x 1.5 x 9.2) for the Deluxe Hardback (with its imprinted $14.99 US price on the back of the partial box it comes in, with a hard plastic overwrap enclosing it) are of the box, while the book itself is 7-7/8" x 1-1/4" x 9", which is larger (but not double the size) of what's called Plastic Comb edition (shown as 5.1 x 1.1 x 5.6).

Bottom line? A true classic. But if I'd known that this Deluxe Hardback edition also had comb binding, I'd have done a thorough search for one of the original spiral bound books and tried to buy one in very good/excellent condition from a reputable vendor. So I'm in a quandry as to how to rate it... 5 stars (love it) for its historical significance, 5 stars for the fact that it includes the additional four pages from the original, but 1 star (hate it) for the comb binding.
on November 22, 2017
This book fell apart the day we got it. I have reassembled the binding comb up to 20 times and it still won’t stay together.
on January 15, 2016
For some reason my daughter really likes this book. Especially the page that rattles. But every review about the binding is right. It is terrible. I ended up taking off the binding and using yarn to hold it together and now she loves it even more because she likes how the yarn feels.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 23, 2016
"Plastic Comb" version fell apart, so i exchanged it for the "hardcover" version. GUESS WHAT? it's STILL bound by a plastic comb! only the hardcover front, spine, and back "hide" the comb! it will still fall apart. This is not the book i loved as a child (the small version that's about 6x6"), instead it's quite large and the plastic comb binding is terrible. Don't be misled!
on August 26, 2016
I just purchased this book for my 10 month old grandson and it arrived yesterday. I was hoping the "deluxe edition" would have a better binding than the regular edition. After one day of gentle reading with him, I picked up the book and somehow the comb binding had already separated from the book. (See picture). I tried to put it back together (I'm a teacher and have worked with comb bindings for years), but this was virtually impossible because the cover has two parallel holes for each tooth and there are 14 teeth to try to fit back in. Thankfully Amazon is so good about returns. This will be going back and I will get the cheaper version and not worry if it is destroyed.
on June 5, 2016
So the book overall is cute with the interactive pages. But the construct of it is flimsy. I bought the hardbook and shouldn't have wasted my money because it's exactly the same but with a hard cover. The binding is still the same and my little guy will prob rip this book wide open any second now. Also, this book literally arrived damaged even though it comes in a nice box.
VINE VOICEon June 10, 2015
This will be one of your children's favorite books. The premise behind this book is the 'touch and feel'. Little ones love being read to, they like pictures to look at, and when they can feel textures, all the better.
This book gives children a chance to see and feel what the person in the book is doing. When an adult us holding their little one and introducing them to the touch and feel of the picture, a lot of love is shown. Reading to your children is a sign of love to your children, and something they will remember forever more.

Parents/teachers will enjoy reading this book to their children. The children will have a chance to feel and smell the flowers, feel their daddy's beard, feel the bunny's soft fur and on and on. I think children will want to keep reading this book through their preschool years. This is a book that soon to be parents will enjoy, grandparents will like to have this book in their home, and schools and preschools will enjoy it for all ages of children. A wonderful first book.

Recommended. prisrob 06-10-15
The book Pat the Bunny was given to us as a gift. Loved the book however, we had to throw it away due to it causing migraines. Our copy of the book came packaged in a square half box and wrapped in plastic. When we opened the book's packaging we were overwhelmed by perfume scent. The page where you smell the flowers reeks... and though we tried to air out the book... the scent just kept on coming. We thought about removing that one page, but the scent had penetrated all of the book's pages. The scent started giving me a migraine and many people in my family get much much worse migraines than me... the only treatment for us is to get rid of what is making us sick..... Therefore, we had no choice but to throw the book away in the trashcan... so my son never got to read this book with me. If the book did not have perfume, we would have kept it and cherished it.... its a wonderful little book and I especially loved the scratchy unshaved face on daddy.... so sad the book had to be scented.