Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 155 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 215 reviews
on May 17, 2016
Detailed book that is great to read on my days off. Jack speaks in a clear language which is easy to follow and if you listen to his talks at all then you will really be able to hear his "voice" through the words he rights. All these years later and his message still rings true. When I follow along with the simple instructions in the book I feel like it puts me into a better place. I suffer from anxiety disorder and depression and I crack this book open whenever I need to get out of a funk. Thanks for all the great work you do Jack and bless your kind soul. Your Heart Wisdom Hour podcast is superb. Also every podcast you have made with Duncan has brought me to tears and spoke to me at a time and place where your message came through loud and clear.
VINE VOICEon June 24, 2016
If you're familiar with Jack Kornfield's work, perhaps you'll find this a great manual for developing a meditative practice. I have been carrying it around with me for over a year, and I still am finding helpful suggestions as things come up. I bought it as a beginner, but I set it aside and came back to it once my practice was more established.

I must admit that I'll probably never explore the original Buddhist texts, so I'm grateful for a teacher who has done so and is willing to make their essence accessible. Kornfield is never condescending or obscure, which in my case leaves me wanting to learn more. There's humor but an unblinking insistence that we press on.
on May 12, 2017
On Instagram there was an image of a large tree with the caption, "The trouble with you is that you think you have time." The quote was attributed to Jack Kornfield. It haunted me for a couple of days. Then I came back to search for the source, which turned out to be this book. I read it in a couple more days, and I found it thought provoking. I am a Christian, and have never read a Buddhist book before. I found it non-threatening and insightful. It's a fallacy, of course, to think I'll have plenty of time to do whatever it is that I am even now putting off. This book helps me recommit to a path with heart. I recommend it.
on October 17, 2016
This is an excellent book for finding personal peace. Contains much information about meditation and has actual meditation instructions also. You will not regret reading it, or following the meditation scripts. The author covers modern issues, as well as more traditional ones. It is a gentle guidebook for living a more peaceful life.
on April 30, 2014
This book helped me so much. Through it, I came to understanding meditation and the spiritual path, not as a way to "fix" our lives or ourselves but as a path toward healing that can help us live with less suffering. It is especially helpful to understand that those whom we might view as gurus or enlightened ones deal with the issues of life, relationships, sorrow, loss, love, anger and hate. This book has helped me change from being less "goal-oriented" about meditation and the spiritual path, and with this change there is less frustration and disappointment when I feel that I have failed to live up to some (self-imposed) impossible standard. The techniques, especially that of not resisting the sensations that arise during meditation and naming the feeling, have really helped. I highly recommend this book to anyone who meditates or is interested in meditation.
on December 11, 2014
I think any Western Buddhist would find this book extremely useful. Jack Kornfield is one of the major figures in the growth of Buddhism in the West. He translates some of the problems students have with the concepts into clear and readable prose.

The book also contains meditation topics and advice on dealing with the kinds of emotional and social issues Western Buddhist students confront.

I gave it to a non-Buddhist Christian friend and she also loves it.
on March 6, 2017
The is a fabulous book. I'm using it at my office in a spiritual book group and everyone loves it. It has really helped us all the expand. Jack Kornfield is a beautiful writer and a lovely soul. I've read a lot of spiritual books and this goes to the top of my list.
on December 7, 2014
The best book if you want to start a meditation/spiritual practice. This book was a jewel in starting my meditation practice almost 20 years ago. Now I have had Jack K as a teacher, done more meditation retreats than I can count, and I believe, I have become a more compassionate person. This is a book I have given to countless friends because it has been so inspirational to me.

Good in the beginning, good in the middle, and good in the end.
on April 20, 2017
One of the first books on Buddhism I read. It's fantastic and a staple for anyone following the Dahrma. I recommend listening to Jack Kornfield on YouTube or a podcast to get a feel for his voice and cadence in storytelling. Go back to the book and you can hear him in your head as you read. Very cool trick!
on January 28, 2015
This was one of the 1st books my "Buddhist Reading" group discussed. Many of my more experience peers loved it and are active in meditation practice; I probably need more exposure to the topic in order to gain their level of appreciation. That said, Mr. Kornfield offers many and varied observations, all of which are well-written and follows each with a meditation practice.