The Patient Will See You Now: The Future of Medicine is in Your Hands Kindle Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
As a physician, I find this scary and exciting. As a patient, family caregiver, and advocate, I'm thrilled. The Patient Will See You Now takes us on a wonderfully written tour including: the end of paternalism in health care (hooray!), tools that patients and families now have to be partners in their care, and an approachable overview to how genomics is finally bringing us personalized medicine. That last piece is even more important to understand given Obama's recent proposal to sequence 1 million genomes.
Whether you think all of these changes are good or not, Topol's work here is a huge amount of easy-to-understand education, impeccably researched, and a pleasure to read.
Would you like a few and wonderful sound bites from the first section (of three, that's as far as I've got on my flight home this afternoon)?
"No longer will MD stand for medical deity." Or,
"...smart, hyperconnected patients represent a serious challenge to medical paternalism."
Of course, that's what these are, just sound bites. Still, the author's hiding a treasury of gemstones in the open, a knowledge that we as patients need to have, and he has refrained from making the book unreadable just to look more intelligent, seem more scholarly, too his peers. I can't help but love it, both it's content and form. There's no style over substance here. There's no war between Wilson and House. Just and excellent mixture between truisms and truths. Just the way we normally intelligent but quite un-medical human beings need to have it.
Now, have a look at a few more of the gems just from the opening pages. Then download your own copy on to you Kindle or iPad and go hunting for more gems, as well as profound epiphanies that Toole elaborates over pages.
“Every patient is an expert in their own chosen field, namely themselves and their own life.” Or,
“...doctors consider themselves the most evolved of the human species.”
"...the power of the people is greater than the people in power.”
"...we’re not just talking medical empowerment. We’re talking medical emancipation."
And, if you didn't catch me at the beginning; yes, I am indeed only a patient, trying to manage my own life and not so much my death sentence.
Time to take on the paternalistic tendencies of medicine. We no longer need Eminence-Based Medicine; we need EVIDENCE based medicine. Options, not opinions. Let Eric Topol lead you on that venture.
Most recent customer reviews
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting
- Books > Medical Books > Administration & Medicine Economics > Health Care Delivery
- Books > Medical Books > Medical Informatics
- Books > Medical Books > Medicine > Doctor-Patient Relations
- Books > Medical Books > Medicine > Internal Medicine > Family Practice
- Books > Medical Books > Medicine > Internal Medicine > Pathology > Clinical Chemistry
- Books > Medical Books > Medicine > Reference
- Books > Reference
- Books > Science & Math > Biological Sciences > Biotechnology
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Personal Health
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Medical eBooks > Administration & Policy > Health Care Delivery
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Medical eBooks > Physician & Patient > Physicians
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Medical eBooks > Special Topics > Biotechnology
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Medical eBooks > Specialties > Family & General Practice
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Medical eBooks > Specialties > Pathology > Clinical Chemistry
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Reference
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science & Math > Biological Sciences > Biotechnology