Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 12 reviews
on November 2, 2012
Pros:
- reliable - I bought this on Oct 2011, never had to power off
- easy to install and configure
- mac and pc friendly
- 1gbps interface

Cons
- even having 1gbps interface, it's slow because of the cache it has
- alert for mac users: it is very limited, no timemachine compatibility
- firmware update to be release takes forever. At the time I bought it was the lion version and support told me the next firmware would be compatible with time machine. Now we are with the new firmware but also now mac os also is new (mountain lion) and still not time machine compatible :-(

Why I'm giving 3 stars:
- We use for backups, so no big deal, it works
- On June 2012 we needed another array so we bought the Synology DS411J. This array stopped to work after 5 months, still waiting for support (by the way I wait over half hour to have a tech support talk with me for synology). So compared to Synology, at least javelin didn't disappointed me that much, at least I still have access to my data in the javelin.

Based on both experience (synology and patriot javelin) I need to continue to look more in the market for something that is reliable and at the same time faster and updated (compatible with mac os time machine).
on May 9, 2012
It will not find any of my drives. I have attempted to use pairs of matched brands between 1tb and 2tb and it just scrolls down the drives over and over and never finds them. I have reached out to the company, email only support and no one has responded. I am just sending it back and going with a better reviewed device.

GL if you get this, and hope you never need support.
on January 3, 2012
This drive has some great features. Easy to setup, very friendly. The only beef that I have is that it is slow. Transferring files to/from this devise takes forever. It's on a gigabit LAN with Cat 6 cables, so it is definitely this device. All my other NAS drives are Buffalo brand and even the older 10 megabit network drives seem to transfer faster.
on July 4, 2012
Within 6 months of purchase this machine locked up to where I can't access the Web management page. As another reviewer stated, the manual has a procedure to follow if the NAS locks up. I followed the procedure, but still the same result.

I contacted Patriot Memory Tech support on their web site, and promptly received a reply with a ticket number an login to the support site. That was a month ago! So far I've seen nothing from Tech support.

In short, if you buy this, you are on your own.
on December 14, 2012
Sounded good, put 4 new (never used) Seagate 2TB drives in it and it powered up, went through all of it gyrations and said it was ready but Nothing could be written to it. Got this message "The network encountered a problem. Contact your network administrator for assistance." Tried to copy (drag and drop) some small test files and got the following. The item "screen shot 2012-12-14 at 11.40.15 AM.png" can't be moved because "javelin_nas : SmartStor S4" can't be modified. Then I tried the Advanced Set Up and essentially got the same results. Was never able to see the unit using Disk Utility. Was able to get into the Admin Utility with Safari via it's IP address but could do nothing.

Called Patriot Tech Support and spent about 20 minutes trying things, nothing worked. Tech said it is "Dead" and to send it back.

Now I am looking for a NAS Drive all over again.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.