Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon cbsaacflaunch cbsaacflaunch cbsaacflaunch  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite The Evil Within 2 Shop now

on August 17, 2010
The Patriot XT flash drives are the best for speed and reliability. I move tons of data (documents, graphics and photos) to my flash drives, and after I make changes to some of the data, I copy to the flash drive again (replace existing folder), several times a day moving multiple gigs of data (obviously hard on the drive, but I don't know a better way to save my work. And, really I care much more about saving work that I put thousands of hours into, than I care about a flash drive. I can always buy a new drive, but I can't get my work (data) back if it is lost.

I know that my use is hard on the drives and I have killed many flash. So, to be careful, I back up onto several flash drives, plus a Maxtor External hard drive. I have tried many different brands and Patriot XT drives (XT Boost and XT Rage) are by far the best. Remember, I have killed many flash drives, but I have never had any problems with any Patriot drives. Also, I have never had a problem with any PNY drives.

But the Patriot XT drives are MUCH FASTER, so I am gradually switching to only Patriot drives.

The other fact you should know about speed is that the smaller drives are faster, I just tested a Patriot XT Boost 4GB, Patriot XT Boost 8GB, Patriot XT Boost 16GB, Patriot XT Rage 16 GB along with a PNY 8GB and a PNY 16 GB by moving 3GB (one folder containing thousands of documents) of data onto each drive. The Patriot drives are all much faster than the PNY drives, and the Patriot XT Rage is faster than the Patriot XT Boost, but within each brand the smaller drive consistently beat the larger ones in speed. So save your money and buy the smallest drive that will meet your needs. When you grow out of the drive, there will be new ones on the market that will be better and less expensive.

Bottom line: I am buying more Patriot XT Rage flash drives.
1616 comments| 237 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
This is my umpteenth purchase in the Patriot line, and it appears they're continuing to lead the pack in excellence. The body isn't as thickly rubberized as previous XPorters. The rubber cap has been replaced with a slide-in, slide-out body that slips over the USB plug when it's not in use. I'm not sure if that means the XT Rage can still hold up to an accidental trip through the washer, but if Patriot really are still this enthusiastic about their USB flash drives, I'm betting we'll see some testimonials to this effect.

Still, this review isn't about how the Patriot looks: how does it perform?

I bought two Patriot XPorter XT Rage 32 drives. One is for a high-performance gaming machine and is dedicated to ReadyBoost. This desktop has 12GB of RAM, and the moment I let Windows 7 Professional tag it, it suggested we use--well, all of it--for Readyboost. ExFAT is not as universally compatible, but you'll find better performance, and Windows Vista and 7 will be perfectly happy with it. Formatted in ExFAT to the default allocation size in Windows 7, the Rage 32 gives you about 30.1GB, and ReadyBoost eagerly reached for 29.9 of that. I'd love to be able to tell you I immediately saw a performance improvement, but at this time, the machine I use for gaming is so absurdly high-spec'ed that I really didn't see an improvement--ReadyBoost technology is really only designed for laptops that are limited as to how much RAM can be in them.

So that's when I put the other Rage through its paces. I'm still only on USB 2.0, and with the default allocation size, it tended to copy a bit faster than my 8GB XPorter formatted in the same way. The biggest difference I noticed was in its responsiveness, though: attaching the unit gets a blink-and-you-miss-it responsiveness, making it instantly ready for you to work with. "Opening" the unit in Windows Explorer is also extremely fast. I tried it out with my car stereo to see if it speeds up file indexing and search time, but unfortunately the unit can't read anything larger than 8GB. In the meantime, though, I tried it for ReadyBoost on another machine. This one *is* a laptop. It's got 8GB of RAM, and with dual 8700Ms in SLi, you can imagine I use it for gaming, too.

Naturally, Win 7 Ultimate on the laptop also suggested we gobble up all the space and give it over. This time though, I did notice some happy moments: Normally when I first log into City of Heroes, I have the graphics cranked so high that the first minute or two gives me a jerky framerate, some stuttering, and the ability to see objects get painted with their final texture passes. I'd assumed that was my hard drive chattering to catch up with all that cached graphics information, and it turns out I was right: CoH settles down within a few seconds now while I see the Rage's red LED blinking like mad.

If you want fast, huge, and flexible, you really can't go wrong with the Patriot XPorter XT Rage. They take their read-write speeds very seriously and it shows. If you're using this for performance alone, such as ReadyBoost, you will find the fastest read-write speeds when the Rage is formatted as ExFAT.

Desktop Specs: Intel Core i7 980 eXtreme, 12GB G. Skill Ripjaws DDR3 RAM (@3x4GB), dual nVidia GTX 480 in SLi, 2xWD Caviar Black in RAID 0 (7200RPM, 64MB cache, 6.0Gbps)
Laptop Specs: Intel Q6600 quad-core processor, 8GB Corsair DDR3 RAM (@2x4GB), dual nVidia 8700M in SLi, 2xHitachi Deskstars in RAID 0 (7200RPM, 32MB cache 3.0Gbps)
22 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 21, 2010
Construction seems fairly good. I can't comment on the little keyring hole as the other reviewer did. I don't find those holes large enough on most drives to actually use on a normal keyring.

The drive is fast though, and performs at the peak of usb 2.0 drives, and that's one measure that is important to USB sticks in everyday use if you're copying around large enough files to justify having a 16GB drive.

Sequential file test, using test size of 2GB, 4MB at a time, within a 14.5GB test file.

Iteration 1: writing...11.8MB/sec, reading...35.4MB/sec
Iteration 2: writing...11.9MB/sec, reading...36.7MB/sec
Iteration 3: writing...12.0MB/sec, reading...36.8MB/sec
Iteration 4: writing...12.0MB/sec, reading...36.7MB/sec
Iteration 5: writing...11.8MB/sec, reading...36.7MB/sec
22 comments| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 20, 2010
The material on these drives has a mildly rubberized feel to it. There is a small red LED that blinks when the drive is being accessed.

I bought two of the 16GB models for two different uses and I'm really pleased after over a month of use now:

1. Xbox360 memory unit.
2. Flash drive to use between my Work (Win XP), Home (Windows 7) and Mac Pro systems. Also for occasional console use.

Computer to Computer Use:
Both perform just fine. I'm coming from having one Kingston 2GB DataTraveler that I bought from another online retailer about four years ago, so this is a big jump for me. Formatting the drive as FAT32, I'm able to transfer files between my Windows and Mac systems without any problems. And the transfer rates for images, MP3s and so on are acceptable. I haven't really run diagnostic software on these drives, but I'm more than pleased with their performance.

Xbox360 Use:
I used the propietary Memory Units for the Xbox360 even after the Dashboard software supported USB devices such as external hard drives or flash memory drives. Since the Dashboard update will allow me to partition up to 16gb for the Xbox360 game/save data, I have one of these Xporter XT Rage drives constantly attached to my Xbox360 slim. NOTE: that two of these will NOT fit side by side if you are using both USB *front* ports of an Xbox360 Slim console.Also, the Xporter XT will not fully insert into any rear USB ports on an Xbox360 slim either due to the deeper recess of the ports on the console.

These console issues are NOT Patriot's fault at all, but I'm just noting it for anyone who plans to use more than one flash drive in their 360 consoles.

For the pre "slim" consoles, this fits fine into the front port also. I have my gamer profile on this flash drive, so I'll bring it with me if I'm gaming at another friend's house and want to sign-in with my profile.

PS3 Use:
Fits fine into any front USB slot on my PS3 80gb console. I've streamed video files too from the drive without incident, even 720p and 1080p video content.

Handling:
I don't attach the drives to lanyards or anything. I generally use it, then retract it when not in use and store it in a backpack or at home. Generally dust free environments.

Compact and delivers in speed for me. Highly recommended.

Note:
As with any flash drive I have, I tend to backup the data on it to a hard drive on my desktop PC. People should always do this as a cautionary measure - what's a little time spent to ensure that your data is safe in case you lose the Flash Drive or it dies? Backup your data - I end up hearing horror stories all the time because friends and family don't see the need. Do it! :)
on September 27, 2011
As soon as I received this drive, I performed a benchmark test using HD Speed, against two other high-speed drives I own: the Patriot Xporter XT Boost 4 GB and the SanDisk Cruzer Titanium 4 GB. All three of these are significantly faster than ordinary flash drives. To be completely scientific, I would have used 16 GB versions of the other two if I had them, but there is usually little difference in speed among different sizes of the same model of USB drive. Here are the results I got:

Sequential Read (1 MB block size)
Patriot Rage: 26.1 MB/s
Patriot Boost: 27.5 MB/s
Sandisk Titanium: 27.5 MB/s

Sequential Write (1 MB block size)
Patriot Rage: 19.2 MB/s
Patriot Boost: 13.3 MB/s
Sandisk Titanium: 14.9 MB/s

Random Read (1 KB block size)
Patriot Rage: 1.1 MB/s
Patriot Boost: 1.4 MB/s
Sandisk Titanium: 1.3 MB/s

Random Write (1 KB block size)
Patriot Rage: 0.23 MB/s
Patriot Boost: 0.3 MB/s
Sandisk Titanium: 0.64 MB/s

As you can see, the Rage is slightly slower than the other two in sequential read, random read, and random write, but where it really shines is sequential write. What this means in plain English is that if you want to copy photos, videos, or other large (> 1 MB) files to a USB drive, this is the drive for you. If that's not so important to you, then you may consider other options like the Patriot Boost or the Corsair Voyager. Note that prices on Amazon change constantly; Rage is normally more expensive than Boost, but as of right now they are about the same price. Sandisk Titanium tends to be the most expensive, but also the sturdiest since it's made of metal.

Regarding appearance and ergonomics, the Rage is smaller and lighter than the Boost. It features a retractable USB plug attached to the other end (the part that contains the keychain hole, a stylized "P", and "RAGE" printed below) by a red barrel. The benefit of a capless design is that there is no risk of losing USB caps. I prefer the Rage's capless design to that of the Sandisk Cruzer (regular or titanium), which is sometimes too loose and retracts itself when inserted into a computer USB port. Personally, I think Patriot's choice of red on black make their products look very techy and cool.

The bottom line is, this is a fantastic drive if need the speed.
on April 11, 2017
Been using this for a few years now and it's held up great! The slide lock is useless and just flops up and down now but that was to be expected after a year or so. Had to replace it recently as I was replacing everything with newer USB 3.0 just due to speed alone.

This still works great and will keep information on it just won't be the daily driver any more.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 16, 2011
So, I picked up this drive because everything I could find online suggested it was one of the fastest available. The first I did after getting it out of the box was running it through XBench to get some hard stats. Sequential write at 26 MBps, sequential reads at 35 MBps. For a USB 2.0 flash drive, that's amazing. That's on a 16 GB model, by the way. Smaller capacities will have faster transfer speeds, while higher capacities will be slightly slower.

Now, the drive performance is great, but there's a few issues with the external design. First, the drive "closes" by sliding part of the body to cover the connector. There's no lock or anything, and while it takes a relatively strong push to expose the connector, it's still possible to "open" the drive when bouncing around in pants pockets or such. Also, there's a small hole at the top of the drive that looks like it's for putting a key chain through, but oddly it's too small and the drive is too thick to allow it to actually be on a key chain and be able to freely move around. The hole is also too small to fit a chain or something larger in diameter than piece of string through. Long and short, it's either going in a pocket or a bag, rather than on a keychain or necklace.

Another issue is the width of the drive. I'm not sure whether the placement of the USB ports on my MacBook Pro are just too close or what because I seem to have this problem alot, but basically, if I have this drive plugged in, then the other USB port is for all intents and purposes, dead. Just keep in mind that unless you happen to have a fair amount of space between the USB ports on your computer, this drive is likely going to partially obscure one.

Nevertheless, I think the this is a really great drive. While I have some issues with its form factor, the build quality seems really good and the performance is great. I guess the minor issues are worth it in the end.
on December 9, 2010
I use this product every single day. The device is ruggedized in that the case itself is a rubberish polymer and resists cracking or impact. I carry it on a lanyard, rather than a keychain, so I haven't had any of the breakage on the head that another user complained of.

The first thing I noticed about the device was how much faster it is than other memory sticks I've used in the past. I can't comment on the larger sizes, except to say that I read they were slower (normally I would have gotten the 64gb, but chose the smaller in interest of speed). It is positively blazing.

The design of the device is aesthetically pleasant, and unlike many other flash drives I don't mind carrying it about my neck all the time.

Lastly, I use this device in Linux (RHEL, Kubuntu), MacOS, Windows XP, and Windows 7, and none of them have complained in the least about reading and writing data. It's not something I would ordinarily say, but this one device has solved many, many problems for me. While another 8gb memory stick might have sufficed, it would also have had a wonky design, been slower, and not have the reputation of Patriot behind it.

One note to mention for the curious: you cannot use this device on a MacBook Air. It's too thick.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 3, 2011
Prior to purchasing the XT Rage, I owned three USB 2.0 Sticks. The USB 2.0 sticks are by HP and Corsair (8GB and 1GB/8GB). I was not happy with the performance of the HP stick, and my Corsair was just too small for my needs so I figured I'd give the XT Rage a shot. I was skeptical about the 25MB/s WRITE speed but boy did Patriot prove me wrong!

-- I purchased a Patriot Xporter XT Rage 8GB stick --

** DESIGN **
First off the design of the Flash Drive is GOOD quality in my book. Unlike the Corsair Voyager(which is EXCELLENT quality), this casing feels a little cheaper; made of a plastic shell stuck together. Despite being a bit cheaper than other brands, it indeed is "drop proof" and has survived a few drops I've done with it, even tossing it down a staircase. Spill proof I did not test due to the design of the case(See below).

This is the first USB stick I've owned that doesn't require a cap. The stick itself is only 2 inches long, and has a retractable head that protects the connector portion. This is a fantastic design as no more lost caps! It is sleek and when closed doesn't randomly open up when in your pocket. When retracted the cover snaps against the back and will not randomly try to close back up. It is a spectacular design that many companies should emulate, except I have just one small gripe. *** The reason I did not do a spill test is because, while the casing itself is VERY solid there is no actual "cover" for the connector head. A few customer images already show that the front of the stick is flush to the casing but left "exposed". Without even doing the test, This is a FAILURE in my book. The inside of the connector is exposed to liquid during a spill, so be very careful with the stick around liquids.

** KEY-CHAIN HOLE / ACTIVITY LIGHT **
Some say that this does not have an Activity light. This is not true, as the light does have an LED activity light. Patriot chose to use a RED LED instead of the standard Blue. The activity light location however is subject to bafflement. It seems as if the cap-free sleek design had some flaws. Mainly the connector head mouth being exposed and the LED activity light being located INSIDE the key-chain hole. That's right! The light is inside the key-chain hole. They use a low intensity red LED so even in a pitch black room the LED is not very visible (but it is there).

The Key-Chain hole itself is very durable. In fact feels more durable than the corsair voyager one. In testing the key-chain hole held up exceptionally well but has one major downside. Using the key-chain hole will block the LED light. Meaning if you have this on a string, you barely will see the LED light (if you could at all). So once again we have a great design with a flaw in it.

** PERFORMANCE **
Now for the MEAT of the review. Performance. What makes this USB flash stick better than the others? For testing I decided to real world benchmark vs using a benchmark tool, after all people want to see real world use not some program using random data. I tested my HP 8GB stick, my Corsair 1GB and the Patriot 8GB Rage XT; WRITE SPEEDS ONLY -- Please note that the larger the stick, the slower it becomes when writing. A 1GB stick should be faster than an 8GB stick using the same controller --

** WRITE PERFORMANCE ** (All sticks formatted as FAT 32, 32kb file allocation; tested on Windows Vista 64bit).. Minimum - Maximum speed... Sustained WRITE speed in []

VERY LARGE Single File (780 MB)
HP(8GB): 2.5 - 5.8 MB/s [4.7]
Corsair: 2.8 - 6.1 MB/s [5.6]
Corsair(8GB): 7.1 - 12.3 MB/s [9.4]
XT Rage: 8.8 - 16.1 MB/s [14.7]

LARGE Single File(170 MB)
HP(8GB): 3.1 - 5.3 MB/s [4.1]
Corsair: 5.7 - 8.3 MB/s [6.4]
Corsair(8GB): 6.4 - 13.1 MB/s [8.5]
XT Rage: 14.5 - 25.3 MB/s [17.1]

MEDIUM Single File (60 MB)
HP(8GB): 4.0 - 6.0 MB/s [5.7]
Corsair: 4.9 - 6.4 MB/s [5.4]
Corsair(8GB): 5.4 - 7.6 MB/s [6.1]
XT Rage: 9.0 - 12.1 MB/s [10.5]

SMALL Single File (5 MB; slow speeds are related to the caching of the file. Small files transfer virtually instantly on all drives)
HP(8GB): 1.0 - 2.7 MB/s [1.17]
Corsair: 1.1 - 2.5 MB/s [1.85]
Corsair(8GB): 1.4 - 3.9 MB/s [2.7]
XT Rage: 1.8 - 3.5 MB/s [2.4]

VERY LARGE Multi-File Transfer ( 8 Files, 690 MB total)
HP(8GB): 1.2 - 4.2 MB/s [2.6]
Corsair: 1.7 - 4.5 MB/s [3.1]
Corsair(8GB): 3.1 - 6.7 MB/s [5.9]
XT Rage: 4.8 - 10.7 MB/s [7.2]

LARGE Multi-File Transfer ( 650 files, 220 MB total)
HP(8GB): 0.8 - 1.7 MB/s [1.1]
Corsair: 1.3 - 3.4 MB/s [1.85]
Corsair(8GB): 1.5 - 3.9 MB/s [2.4]
XT Rage: 1.2 - 3.7 MB/s [2.25]

MEDIUM Multi-File Transfer ( 200 Files, 40 MB total)
HP(8GB): 1.1 - 2.0 MB/s [1.3]
Corsair: 1.7 - 2.3 MB/s [1.7]
Corsair(8GB): 1.8 - 3.4 MB/s [2.1]
XT Rage: 1.9 - 4.1 MB/s [2.8]

** As you can see, in almost every test the XT RAGE either obliterated competition, or was able to keep pace with it. This is because the XT Rage has a Quad Channel design for Read/Write tasks allowing it to process the data much faster than a normal USB stick. As you can see when it came to large files, the XT Rage absolutely devoured them, even hitting over 25MB/s which was the advertised speed. If you notice, as the # of files go up and the file size gets smaller the speed of the drive starts to really slow down. This is because so many small files are passing through rather than one large file that gets cached as it goes. The important factor is just how much faster the XT Rage is when it comes to very large file sizes. The Quad Channel performance gets to flex its muscles and it shows.

OVERALL
I highly recommend this USB stick. It can achieve close to the 25MB/s advertised rate with every day performance, and moves large files incredibly fast. This is the perfect stick for someone who needs to move very large files 500MB or larger. It boasts 8GB - 64GB in size and has a very solid design to it that makes the stick easy to transport. With a cap-free design there is no more risk of losing the cap and exposing the Connector Head to damage, however the device is not spill proof(unlike others). A poorly placed activity light also hurts its appeal but do not hurt it enough to compromise the rating of this drive.

This easily is the fastest USB 2.0 drive I have owned. It is quality and has held up exceptional well during testing like a good quality product should. Easily able to leave other USB 2.0 sticks in the dust for large file sizes; and outperforming a competitive 8 GB stick in bulk small file transfers, this stick has both Outstanding Performance while maintaining a very fair asking price. 5 stars!!

** NOTE: This stick has a 5 year warranty
** NOTE: This stick also supports Ready Boost
11 comment| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 1, 2012
When you buy a flash drive, you want 3 things: reliability, speed, and capacity.

1) Reliability: These flash drives are rugged with a retractable USB connector and access light LED. The shell is a rubberized plastic for a sure grip, and they bounce a bit if they are dropped. I own 3 of these, and I've never lost data due to a chip failure or broken case.

2) Speed: These are the fastest USB 2.0 flash drives on the market. You get what you pay for! There are several things that will reduce read/write speed. If you have many thousands of small files, speed will slow down. (It's the same with hard drives -- all of those trips to the access table take time!) If that's what you want them for, save your money and buy a cheaper drive. These drives are best with movie files, digital photos, or other large files. Your system will affect speed, and so will the capacity (size) of the drive (see next).

3) Capacity: Available in 8, 16, 32, & 64GB, I've stuck with the smaller capacities for my needs. The 8GB drives are noticeably faster than the 16. The larger your flash RAM, the slower it will be.

I'll stick with Patriot Rage for all of my needs in the future.