Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Final Fantasy XIV Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 32 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 34 reviews
on August 31, 2013
Yes, it really works! It is a rare moment it would seem when you purchase a computer program that is supposed to do something and it actually does - amazing but true in this case. I needed a program that would assist me with the creation of both cross-stitch diagrams and needlepoint diagrams so I took a leap of faith and ordered up. The install was quick and easy, and YES it works just fine on Windows 8. The learning curve is a short one, and once installed you will be up and running very quickly as the commands are very intuitive and easy. There is an instruction booklet with the program but you must print it out from a PDF format. I do wish the instruction book came with the install disc, but it was easy to print. It is 180 some odd pages and well worth the time to read it so that you get the full use of this wonderful program. I purchased the 'professional' version and it does have some differences from the base program that makes your work a bit easier and faster. Creating patterns for your sewing machine is an add-on that DOES NOT come with the Professional version. The main difference between the base version and the professional appears to be mainly editing functions and a few other bells and whistles. I would consider them to be well worth the extra money if you really intend to use this program to its fullest capabilities.

This program also allows you to import (very easy to do) a photo and translate that to a stitch pattern, even assigning DMC color numbers to the colors in the photo - very impressive and pretty darned accurate. You can assign color numbers from a substantial list of standard fiber makers such as DMC, Anchor, needlepoint wools, silk threads, they are all there for easy use. You can also import a prepared chart and then trace over it to create a new pattern off that chart - again very easy to do and quite accurate once done. You can cut and paste from the included library of designs, or you can create your own library and cut and paste from there. The number of things you can do seems almost unbelievable, and the more I work with the program the more impressed I am with its abilities.

Overall, this was well worth the money and one of the best purchases I have made for the computer in a long time. If you are thinking about purchasing this program I would say treat yourself, you won't regret it!
on September 4, 2011
I wanted to be able to make a birth announcement cross stitch for my first grandchild, and I was hoping to find one with a lamb/peace type of theme. After searching in the local craft stores, and on line for several days, I couldn't find any premade kits with a lamb, unless it was as part of a farm theme.

So I bought this program to make my own.

I took a photograph of a real lamb from the internet, and a photograph of my grandson's father (my son) when he was 2 years old, and using Photoshop, I juxtaposed them together to make a picture of a little boy with a lamb.

I imported this into Pattern Maker for Cross Stitch Professional, and added the lettering. It came with many built in stitch fonts, as well as many of the Publisher fonts. The interface for importing photographs or other things is very user friendly.

Pattern Maker let me view it with color, so I could adjust the not-so-crisp edges of the Photoshop import (I got tired of messing there). Then I printed it with the stitching symbols, and bought the embroidery colors I didn't already have. It automatically generated a chart with the symbols for each color and stitch type (The program contains several types of stitches besides full cross stitch, though I did not use any of them besides back-stitch, as I am doing the project in 28 count Aida cloth, which means I don't have to do half, quarter, petite, etc stitches.)

As an aside, this is a FAR more intuitive and user friendly program than Photoshop.

I have not completed the stitching yet, but if it turns out at all like the color view looks, it will be an excellent replication of the photograph of my son (It is 65 colors for gradation and shading. eek. But I wanted it to be true to the photograph).

I bought the professional level to be able to use it with an embroidery machine in the future.

I highly recommend this for any cross stitcher who wants to make their own design.
33 comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 6, 2014
I was able to take a picture, load it into the pattern maker program and within 5 minutes I had my pattern! Many options for pattern such as colors or symbols and the choice of colors from minimal to maximum is a terrific feature. I would recommend this to anyone who want to create something special for someone or themselves.
on September 16, 2016
I do like the product, but it could use some minor improvements. While the User's Guide is in the folder after installation, I did not realize this until AFTER I looked up instructions online and found the guide there first. The program has a lot of bells and whistles - most of which I will probably never use. I did, however, convert several of my paper patterns to digital format. While this does take time (You have to paint each pixel), the end result is wonderful. I would prefer that the program automatically recognizes symbols in the scanned chart and all I had to do was assign the colors to the symbols. That would save me so much time. Maybe I am asking too much. :)

Another issue I have with the program is the printing features. I don't feel like there is enough options. For example, I cannot add a photo of the finished design to the printout - I must print it separately. Unfortunately there is also no easy way to create a PDF of the design. This isn't a huge deal, since I am converting all my charts to digital format anyway, but I'm sure this would bother some people.

All in all, there is definitely a learning curve, but it is well worth the money if you need to design your own pattern, turn a picture into a pattern, or turn your paper patterns into digital format, this is the best program to do that.
on March 4, 2014
I've done my fair share of samplers, but I hated being so limited by what was available online and in craft stores. I have a very geeky, particular taste and wanted to try making my own patterns. I opened my pattern software this evening and an hour later I have a large, detailed sampler almost completely finished. I am *so* happy with this purchase. It's super easy to use, edit, and control. Worth every single penny.
on January 4, 2016
This was difficult for me to use. It was expensive and no tangible instructions. The CD sat for months until I could get one of my children to help me figure it out and get the photo pattern completed. The completed photo pattern had 5 colors that were listed to use but the color codes' design did not show up on the finished directions. This means for the 5 colors I have to figure out where they fit in the blank spots on the directions. I am however, grateful there is a way to transfer a personal photo into a cross stitch picture. I have not finished the project so I can' t say anything about that, but I am hoping the cross stitch of my mother turns out beautiful!
on August 15, 2011
I have been wanting the professional version of Pattern Maker for some time and when I found it on Amazon for such a great price, I bought it. The professional version has more specialty stitches and that was what I was wanting. Even though I do not design professionally, I do like being able to design a sampler whenever I'm in the mood.
on January 10, 2013
I wanted to be able to make patterns myself and this takes care of that issue. I am inexperienced so it take some figuring out exactly how to do it but what I have done so far is just what I wanted.
on July 19, 2010
This program works very well. I've already converted some of my favorite photos into patterns. I like that it tells me how many stitches of each color I will need and also how many skeins of each color I will need to get.
on March 29, 2014
Thank you very much. I use the Pattern Maker to make my patterns for "Tunisian Crochet" as well as Cross stitching.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.