Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 26 reviews(4 star, Verified Purchases). See all 422 reviews
on February 11, 2016
Pattern Recognition is my 2nd of Gibson's books, following the reading of Neuromancer. The book is captivating in that it somehow melds subjects like post-9/11 world, art and its commodification, internet forums, and a small glimpse into world of political/cyber espionage, into a steady paced thriller. There are no sense-enhancing drugs, no AI pulling on strings from behind computer screens, no heads being blown apart with futuristic guns. Gibson offers something different here; I see this work as an offspring of his heavy calibration period. There's something lost when you compare the far-reaching visions of the future seen in his Neuromancer, compared to this almost mock-documentary of the world stage we see in this book. But the upshot is that something has become more endearing and strangely cathartic.
on April 21, 2015
Doing a reread of Gibson's work. The Sprawl trilogy stands the test of time quite well,and the Bridge threesome is a superb reading by my standards but with Pattern Recognition,Gibson enters new territory,a mature,fully formed Gibson that dazzles and entertains in equal measure. I've read Pattern Recognition more times than I can remember and when I hit a slow patch of interesting new work I read it again. His use of language is poetic in the sense that it feels beautiful rolling thru my mind as I read leaving a sense of pleasure. Highly recommended.
on April 4, 2012
I just got around to reading this very good book, perhaps a little too late. I imagine the impact would've been greater on me had I read this back when it was first published. As it was, I was expecting it to live up to a lot of hype and I came away having enjoyed it quite a bit, but having wanted it to live up to the hype a bit more.

I will say that I was right on board all the way up to the somewhat awkward, abbreviated ending. I am fond of the characters but question a couple of things that happened right at the end. A few interesting ideas were not fully explored. Having said that, I'm a huge Gibson fan and this is one of my favorites.
on December 6, 2014
I loved the amorphous since of an artistic breakthrough. Always just out of reach. The father is surely alive, and at least in my world, it's not denied in the end. The sense that women and men chase what they think they want, yet are almost always wrong or sorry. Those that get it regret it and those that don't realize they just missed a plane crash disaster...thou some wonder still if it would have been worth it. These are the thoughts I take from Cayce's journey. And Will Gibson carries you along as her soul mate.

If you enjoy looking around corners for the next big thing in pop culture this book will engross, torture and push your sense of the relevance of it all.

The writing is alternatively brilliant, inspiring, plodding and deep. You get there in the end, but wish for more.
on July 20, 2013
Cayce (pronounced like "Case") is allergic to bad and ugly design in a world that seems to be filled with logos and promotion that often outshines the products themselves. You could think of her as a person who knows what she likes because anything else fills her with depression and anxiety. Then something happens that brings her inner peace. A girl in the New Russia who was almost completely cut off from reality by an assassin's bomb begins to create a movie that is secretly but freely given to the internet. This film that is composed of short segments of action attracts a world-wide following as millions of people attempt to connect meaning with each new clip that appears suddenly. The film contains images that are beautiful but lacking a constructive narrative. Cayce finds herself at the center of the search for the origin of this mystery in a global game of tag with those who want to use this pure form of art to make themselves rich, as it is a wildly successful advertisement for itself already but they want to brand and sell it.
A good read, but I compare it to "Burning Chrome" which is quite different and you have to change gears a bit as this story could be happening today.
on June 4, 2016
I had to read this book for a class in university and I got rather into it despite it not being the kind of story I would usually read. It had a slow start, and it took me a few chapters to get into it, but then I just kept going.

However, the ending did seem a bit weird. I felt that it could have had a better ending, but I personally couldn't think of something better that would sum up the plot. But overall, not bad, I would recommend it to a friend
on November 2, 2016
I have not quite finished the book yet, and I am sure I will finish it today. The pacing is an odd mixture of driven effort and hopelessness. The historical and social context, with the core characters a young generation of adults who are re-thinking reality while living with the facts and aftermath of 9-1-1, is one of loss and pragmatism.
on January 26, 2014
This is modern story, placed in the context of our modern love affair with the web, and its interactions with more ancient preoccupations like power and money. The central character Cayce Pollard is very engaging: gifted, courageous and stylish but in a no-logo kind of way. I have read other books by this author and enjoy the complexity of his story telling, but also the "right" speed of his tales and the pleasure of meeting his characters. This novel is filled with people that jump from the pages into life.
on August 20, 2013
I loved the way the story is firmly in the world of now. Applying the ideas of viral marketing as the driving force to a mystery works to draw the reader in the same way the protagonists are draw in by the author. The hero with her almost allergic reaction to branding, beautiful represents us the consumer/reader constantly bombarded with labels. Even her friends she knows mostly by their self given labels rather than their names. The book also provides suspense, double cross and exotic locations. Good twenty first century fun.
This book has *huge* amounts of white space, and although it came to me highly recommended, over the course of reading every word I rated it at three stars--not nearly as interesting as, to take one book I especially liked, SNOWCRASH.
However, I have raised it to 4 stars because of the gems, such as the loss of the future on page 57, good description of digital watermarking, the enormous distrust of false advertising and false impressions leading to false relations (p 85), the final denouncement of the loss of time and human intimary (p. 302-303), and--overall--the portrayal of web-life, the sympathetic portrayal of Usenet-type groups and their members, the idea of cool ideas and "cool hunter", and the overall representation of mobile information and its vulnerabilities to interception.
Having said all that, I found this to be very light reading, half the text a book of this sort might have warranted, and on balance, disappointing.