Workplace Solutions Editors' Holiday Gift Picks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 12DoD - Beauty Stocking Stuffers Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Platinum artists Shop Outdoor Deals on Amazon Baby Gift Guide

Showing 1-10 of 565 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
VINE VOICEon October 29, 2006
The watch band pin remover works well, and is easy to use. Keep in mind that this tool only starts the pin removal, and you'll need a pair of small pliers to complete the job (I use small, easily available chain nose pliers, about 110mm overall length). If you read the directions, you'll be able to use this tool on the first try without breaking anything. Be aware that the pad that the bracelet rests on is spring loaded, but this is not a problem if you read the directions.

The only caveat is about watches, not the tool per se. Normally, a bracelets removable links are marked with an arrow to show the direction to push the pins out. Some Fossil watches are marked with two arrows... The pins friction fit in the middle rather than the end on the far side from where the tool's pin engages the bracelet pin. The tool's pin is a little short for these, but the small pliers make this a non-issue.

Read the directions, have the pliers, and this tool is great (Beware of Fossil watches).
55 comments| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 2, 2006
I purchased this item, because I have thin wrists and normally have to get all of my metal watch bands adjusted. This normally requires me to first locate a watch repair shop and then take my watch there for the links to be adjusted; normally at a cost of anywhere from $5 to $8. I finally decided to try the pin remover; not expecting anything special, however to my surprised it worked great! I had the links removed and the band resized in all of about 4 minutes, all without leaving the house. I would have given this 5 stars if there was a case to protect the device's pin from getting bent by accident. However, that is minor, if you're in the market for one of these pin removers you can't go wrong here.
0Comment| 118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon June 10, 2006
The pin remover works great, but takes requires practice to use correctly. You have to line up the band in the cradle carefully and I broke a couple of pins learning the process. I contacted the seller, Watch Tools about buying some more pins. They offered to send me several replacement pins for free. You can't beat that.
on July 6, 2007
I bought this press about three months ago and have used it at least ten times since. It has worked perfectly each time.

Others have given great, detailed reviews, so I'll only touch on a few points.

First- the quality of manufacture. This is a plastic press with a few key parts made out of metal. Some have complained about the plastic, but to cast and machine this device would cost the consumer far more than the $15 and shipping.

There have been complaints that the extraction pin is not strong enough. These are incorrect. If the pin were stronger, and made of titanium as somebody suggested, it would be prone to break or snap at the slightest misstep. As it is, the pin will bend considerably before breaking. When you see this happening, STOP.

Second- function. This tool is very easy to use if one observes a few simple precautions. Use it in a well lighted work space. Use a magnifying glass, lens, or loupe if necessary.

You must align the pin to the hole so that the extractor is parallel in two planes- left-right and up-down. The band rests on a spring-loaded platform, so care must be taken to apply enough pressure to get the band even with the pin (the up-down plane).

Then slowly turn the knob until you see the extractor enter the link hole, centered and parallel. Turn slowly and you'll feel a very slight resistance, and then it moves easily and the pin will be driven out the other side of the link. If you feel a strong resistance- STOP. You may be striking the band with the extractor and not the pin. This is how the extractor gets broken.

I've removed several links in several watches, each in just a couple of minutes or less, because this tool is a breeze to use. Once I took out one link too many, and would have lived with that, if not for this tool. In just a minute, I reinstalled the link and was back in business.

The original extractor pin is still intact. If you are impatient, avoid this tool and take your watches to a jeweler. Otherwise, if you have even a couple of watches that need the bands resized, you will be extremely satisfied with the results.

This is a bit of plastic and metal that thinks it's a precision instrument, and acts like it. Who am I to tell it otherwise.
11 comment| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2007
It was a small revelation when a jeweler showed me that friction pin fitted watch bands have directional arrows engraved inside the band links. Visibility is critical when aligning the vise pin with the friction pin that is being pushed through. This tool gives good visibility. Still, I recommend that you pick-up a jewelers' loupe. If you are just slightly off center you may snap the vise pin. Happily this tool comes with three replacement pins. You'll need two hands, so get a magnifying lens you can 'hold' in your eye socket. You'll also want tweezers to hold the set screw that locks this tool's push pin in place when you have to replace it. This screw is not much bigger than two grains of coarse salt! Buy an inexpensive set of jeweler screwdrivers to loosen the set screw for a damaged push pin. Needle nose pliers will help pull through the dislodged watch link pin. They may also be needed if you straighten a bent vise pin. Hint from one novice to another: when you replace the friction pin in your watch band after removing links, back it into the band the way it came through. The friction head of the pin is the first to come out and it should be the last to go back in. A small hammer will seal the deal. Adjusting a watch band can be quick, easy, and gratifying. This tool works!
on September 4, 2010
Of all the things I have purchased at Amazon lately, this has been the most useful.
In the past two weeks I have used it to removed links and re-size ten watch bracelets in my collection, and each went without a hitch.

When using this you must remember a few things.

Check the back of the links. There will be an arrow engraved in the back of the link
showing in which direction you should push out the link pin. The arrow should point away from
the turning knob when pushing out the pin.

Work on a large, soft, white cloth. Such as an old T-shirt or terry cloth towel. If you
drop the link pin it won't bounce away and will be easy to find.

Make sure area is well lit.

Unless you have exceptional eyesight, invest in a cheap jeweler's loupe or if you wear glasses
an Optivisor so you can make sure your pushing directly against the link pin and not the side
of the link as you can easily break the push pin and mar the side of the bracelet link.

If there are no arrows on the back of the link, then most likely the pins are of the screw
in type, and must be removed with a jeweler's screw driver.

Take your time and align the push pin directly with the hole in the link.

Use slow steady pressure when turning the knob.

The small sprung platform in front of the pusher pin is for adjusting the height of the link's
pusher pin with the hole in the link.

With a little practice you will be able to re-size any of you watch bracelets in minutes, and save a trip to the local jewelers and money to boot.

Paul
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
on May 22, 2007
I used this tool on my Citizen Titanium Eco-Watch and it worked perfectly. I would advise that you have very good lighting when taking out the pins because this is precision work. If you are far sighted or have poor close up vision you may have problems.

I made sure that everything was aligned up and turned the tool knob very slowly while feeling the pressure on the pin. After a few turns the resistance would simply stop and the pin would drop out from the other side. Make sure you do this on a table so you don't have to go hunting for the pin.

Once the excess watch band segments were removed I simply aligned the segment holes together and pushed the pin back the same direction it came out from. It would go in nearly all the way. The last few millimeters I used the tool again but now on the other side of the pin. After I finished, everything on the band looked perfect. I am quite satisified with this tool.
on July 2, 2006
Thia tool was very easy to use right out of the box. It even came with spare pins just in case one got bent or broken. I could only think of two things to make this a better product.

1. Make the base out of something heavier (metal with rubber padding on the bottom) it would make the tool easier to just sit on a table or workbench. You could focus on adjusting your band or bracelet instead of adjusting the bracelet and holding down the tool

2. Include longer pins as extras. On some of the bands I adjusted I got them started with the tool, but had to use pliers to completely remove the pins and links. Overall though it's a very good product. It works and it's inexpensive. I would recommend it to any non-professional jeweler who has an assortment of watches or bracelets to adjust from time to time.
VINE VOICEon July 9, 2006
I have lots of watches and I have been on a diet. That means when my weight changes, I need to resize my watchs with metal bands. Before, I would have to go to the watch store and wait for him to size it for me. Now, I just use the tool. A cheap way to simplify my life.
on September 7, 2007
I bought this to resize the bracelet on my Omega Seamaster GMT. Obviously, I did not want to risk breaking pins or scratching the bracelet; therefore, I was a bit concerned by some of the negative reviews. I have to admit the critics of the minimal, poorly-translated-into-English directions have a point, but the operation of this tool is pretty obvious, so I don't see that as a problem. Others complained about breaking the drift pin, but I never even came close. I simply put the watch on the spring-loaded stage, pressed down with a finger so the hole would be even with the pin, and carefully turned the knob. It helped to look at it through a magnifier (I bought an inexpensive jeweler's loupe), which helped me line the drift pin up precisely. It very smoothly pushed the bracelet's pin out the other side. The drift pin wasn't long enough to push it out all the way, but I was able to grab the protruding pin with small pliers and easily pull it out the rest of the way. To put the pin back in, I lined it up, pressed it against the table until it was almost all the way in, and the carefully lined up the pin remover to push it in the rest of the way, just a little farther in than flush with the surface of the link.

The body of the device is fairly soft plastic, with a metal pin driven by what feels like a fairly finely calibrated metal screw. Worked fine for me and I'm glad I bought it.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.