Oil month Automotive Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on November 13, 2012
last winter was the first full winter i rode through. and, to be clear, what i mean by "ride" is that i did daily 30-40 mile loops on a road bike at about 20mph or faster (because this matters; wind chill becomes a significant factor when it's this cold and you're really moving). i usually rode until at least the freezing point. after that, i would only go out if i was sure there wouldn't be left over water on the road that would freeze and take me down. so what i'm talking about are regular daily temperatures ranging from 25-40F, coupled with wind and me moving at 20mph or faster; which is really about an actual temperature well into the teens or single digits.

for the first couple months, i SUFFERED with my hands. nothing i tried worked. i bought some super nice, very expensive softshell gloves and those only got me to about 40F. awesome dexterity-wise, but not warm enough. i tried some assos baselayer gloves under those and that only bought me another couple degrees. the guy at the LBS talked me into the Gore "fusion" gloves. which have two chambers (one for warmth, one for wind-blocking) and are a neat idea, but really didn't get me to any lower digits. i even tried those goofy-looking and very awkward to use "bar mitts" and had about the same results as with everything else: every day i was coming home with freezing hands, running them under hot water for several minutes in agony, etc.

then i finally decided i'd try a new solution: a warm layer and a wind-blocking layer. i mean, this works for my torso, why wouldn't it work for my hands? so i grabbed a pair of the wool defeet gloves for warmth (which are about $20) and a larger pair of these pearl izumi pro softshell lobster gloves to block the wind. BINGO! that did it. now i'm very very cozy out there for at least a couple of hours. i did a three hour ride in 35F with an average pace of 19+ last week and didn't even THINK about my hands. which is exactly what you want. this system got me through the rest of last winter and it's looking great so far this year.

there are some downsides to these gloves, of course. they're bulky. but they're lobster gloves and they're THICK. what do you expect? you get used to it (shifting with SRAM is easier than shimano with these, fwiw). it's better than not feeling your hands and THEN not being able to shift (been there before; not fun). and yes, the bottom velcro enclosure is a little tricky to do up. but it's secure and once they're on, you don't have to think about it. no big deal.

a couple notes on my "system" described here: 1) i was careful to have a decent air layer between the two glove sizes, so that some air movement can go on. you don't want them to be tight and constrict blood flow. the defeet gloves are tight, the lobsters are roomy. 2) the nice thing about this system is that if i flat or need some extra dexterity while stopped (to eat a bar, check my phone, change a flat, adjust my bike, etc.) i just take the lobster gloves off. i still have the wool defeet gloves on to keep me warm and those are nicely form-fitting so they're almost like wearing no gloves. and my hands won't freeze like they would had i worn a single-glove system (which would undoubtedly also be very thick gloves) and taken the gloves off for dexterity.

overall, i'm quite happy with my solution and with these gloves. hopefully someone else will find this information useful and can avoid some of the painful suffering i endured.
66 comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 28, 2012
Fingers and toes set the limits of cold weather riding for me and these have taken me into the range of 25* with these gloves, albeit with some fingers rubbing together while riding to keep them warm. At 30* they are comfortable without rubbing. There is enough room in the finger area to get a finger out and against the palm of your hand to warm it easily if needed. This is riding at a moderate to easy pace, riding at a higher exertion level will keep your hands warmer of course. Sizing is true to the PI sizing chart.

For those that complain about the Velcro, it is very aggressive and it's not easy to get these off if you line up the top with the base perfectly. I line them up so the top is off center pulled toward the wrist / arm so about half of the base is exposed which leaves enough of a tab to grab on to for easy removal, they still hold very snug with this alignment.

Took a few minutes to get used to riding with these but I can ride comfortably on the hoods, tops, bends, and in the drops now and feel like I have a decent grip on the bars. Shifting with the little lever is a bit cumbersome but with a little focused attention works well, moving the big lever is easy as is braking.

Overall, highly recommend these for cold weather riding when gloves don't cut it.
on November 18, 2014
I've used them for a year now. Bought for extreme Winter cold.

Last Winter my commute was 2 hours (1 hour there, 1 hour back home). It was mostly around 3AM, where there was no wind (other than that generated from moving 25-35 MPH), and then back home around 8AM with little wind. The temperature would be anywhere from 20F to -25F. The PI lobsters work well up to a wind chill of around 0F.

My bike ride now is only 40 minutes one way. Winter weather has just hit us and I once again got to test the performance of the gloves. With a strong 15 MPH wind and 15F temperature, the gloves kept my hands from feeling painfully cold. A lot of the wind I avoided, as it was pushing east/southeast, while I was travelling mostly north.

The trick however is keeping your hands DRY. That means no sweat. In a 30-40 minute bike ride, I found this was easy to do. However my old commute last Winter, was 60-70 minutes up two massive hills. So I had a lot of sweat and that made it very difficult, combined with the length of the commute, to keep my hands from freezing.

The other "con" is that the sweat wipe on the thumb apparently allows cold to seep into the glove. I find that my thumbs are always the first thing to get cold, long before my fingers do.
on January 9, 2014
These gloves are easy to put on (even the 2nd glove, when your hand is inside the 1st glove), which is important, since you need to take them off to do the really small tasks (like open a bar to eat it). But they preserve enough dexterity that shifting (with integrated shifters on a road bike or thumb shifters on a mountain bike) is no problem.

They work well down to 20 degrees F (I don't ride in temps colder than that), and they work well up to 35-40 when they are actually a bit too warm (you can open the velcro fastener to let some air in). Lots of nice details - good grip surfaces (including on the tip of the thumb to help you work the velcro fastener of the opposite glove), reflective spots, nose-wipe on the back of the thumb.

Super gloves - my hands are the most comfortable they've ever been (even compared to previous gloves with hand warmers inserted).
on January 20, 2013
Took these mits on a ride this morning. Temp was in the low/ mid 40's and my hands were sweating. I am sure these could handle 20 degrees colder. They are well constructed and fit well. I normally wear an x-large but had ordered a large by mistake. Regardless, they fit and have adequate room so no issues (and I am not inclined to wear a liner glove, if it gets that cold out I am not biking!). What this mit could use is some gel pads on the palm. My typical riding position is with my hands on the brake hoods with the ulnar part of my palm resting on the handle bar (typically where most gloves have a gel pad). I could feel the pressure on my hands as I rode. If I was out for a couple of hours I am pretty sure this would become uncomfortable and cause some numbness. My fix is wearing a thin pair of summer riding gloves with the mit over that. Just a tad snug but doable. This mit would rate 5 stars if they added some gel padding on the palm.
on January 6, 2013
I like these gloves and when it's sub-40 degrees F I turn to these. They do have drawbacks. With my new bike (ultegra shifters) it's tough to use the inner shifter because the glove is too bulky. Often times you pull both levers and none register because they are not even.

Aside from that, you can't spread your fingers so it's difficult to vary grips so you're in pretty much the same 1-2 grips for long rides and that isn't great.

I won't hold this against these gloves -- I think these are sacrifices you make to be warm. The lining and wind-shielding capability of these gloves is just amazing and you should have a pair of these in your gear collection for cold days.

Good:
- super warm
- felt sleeve to wipe your nose
- easy to do the vulcan "live long and prosper" sign when greeting other bikers

Bad:
- not the best gloves for ultegra shifters
- restricts your hand positions sometimes
on December 11, 2012
And these gloves are super warm. Granted, I haven't tried them in less than 27F, but I expect them to remain super warm in much colder weather. I also have a pair of glove liners that I plan to use in addition to the lobster gloves if the temperature ever drops terribly this year.
I bought the small men's gloves, though I usually wear small women's gloves, in order to give me a bit of room for liners if needed. The gloves are a little long, but I don't mind. I sort of appreciate the bit of finger-wiggle room.
I also have no problem removing these gloves.

------Edit: I was fine with these gloves on a one-hour ride with no liners in 17F with decent winds! Win!
on January 4, 2013
For anyone wondering, unlike the previous model of these gloves, these actually separate your 4 fingers into 2 just as it would appear from looking at the gloves so that each set of two fingers is in contact with each other, (the previous model had each finger individually separated in an inner 5 finger lining, and only the outer shell then separated the fingers into 2). I find this set up to be better as it seems to allow your finger to stay a little warmer, perhaps because this is a little closer to true mittens.
on March 1, 2012
So far so good. It's been a very mild winter, so I haven't tested them to the extremes, but I have yet to have cold hands on a ride. The coldest weather I've tested them in is about 19 degrees and my fingers remained cozy. I regularly use them in rides at 25-40 degree weather and my hands stay very warm at those temps. My hands sweat in them if it's ~35 degrees or above. Very wind resistant and cozy. My first lobster style glove and I like them a lot.
The velcro issue is a bit annoying because there is no place to grab it, and the quality of velcro is very good so it's difficult to get it to peel off. But I just set it once to the position I want the velcro to be in and haven't messed with it since. The glove material is slightly elastic so the gloves are snug on my wrists, but come off with a good tug.
Great product.
on January 2, 2013
I live in Wisconsin, and the purchase of a fat bike for winter riding meant I needed a way to keep my hands warm in even the coldest of temperatures. These lobster gloves are definitely warm, but they're sometimes overkill and require a trade-off in dexterity.

When temperatures get down close to zero and below, these gloves are great for keeping your hands warm. When temperatures are higher, though, they're not ideal. This past weekend I did a race that had me out on the bike for 6.5 hours in temperatures ranging from 10 degrees to the upper teens. During the colder parts of the race, the gloves kept my hands warm. When temps were in the upper teens, though, my hands were sweating, especially during harder efforts.

The downside of these gloves is that they are bulky and clumsy, making it difficult to perform some on-the-bike tasks. Twist shifters are easy to use while wearing these, but trigger shifting is more difficult. Also, the lobster design makes one-finger braking impossible. And forget about adjusting small zippers or accessing food without taking these off.

If you're doing a non-technical ride in temperatures 15 degrees F or below, with little need for shifting and brake control, I'd highly recommend these gloves. If temperatures are warmer, you have trigger shifters, or you're on and off the brakes a lot, you may want to consider using pogies with some thinner gloves.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.