Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Peavey ValveKing 112 Combo Amplifier
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports STEM

on January 20, 2013
Let me start off saying I didn't buy this at Amazon - I bought it at my local Guitar Center. The price was a little cheaper there since they had a coupon for the holiday weekend. Regular price at both places is the same.

I went there with the intention of buying a Line 6 Spider IV modeling amp. I wanted to try it first which was why I didn't get it from Amazon. I'm SO glad I tried it out. I didn't see any significant difference between this Line 6 amp and using my Line 6 POD (from over 10 years ago) with my Crate practice amp. The sound seemed lifeless for some reason.

I asked the sales person if he could recommend a similarly priced basic amp. He brought me over to the Peavey ValveKing 112. And I'm so glad he did!!! I never heard such sweet sounding tones come from my hands! The sound came alive! Not only did you hear the sound, it resonated in your body. It was a bit of a surreal experience. My playing all of a sudden took on a higher level. All of the nuances of my playing came through - pick attack, dynamics, muting, etc. The amp is so responsive, playing was effortless. I could play with a much softer touch. I always thought the guitar itself was the main component in that - not so.

I was anxious to get it home to see if I had a similar expericence in my house with my guitars (an American Standard Strat with single coil pickups and a Les Paul Studio with humbuckers). It all just seemed to good to be true. I was relieved to have the same experience at home. My guitars' sound now can reach their full potential.

I never bought into the whole "tubes are better" argument. Well, that's because I never played a tube amp! I'm a convert and will never go back.

In my research, I had considered a tube amp, but the price seemed prohibitive - especially since I'm a hobbyist. This amp took care of that - and it's got 50 Watts!! The value of this amp just blows me away.

The build quality on this amp is top notch. The corners are protected by metal corner plates (not cheap plastic). The knobs and switches are high quality and feel very strudy. It's also heavy - about 50 lbs.

Earlier today I was jammin' along with Joe Bonamassa Live at the Royal Albert Hall. I'm no Joe Bonamassa, but my sound was a heck of a lot closer! This amp is so much fun!!

If you want tube sound, don't settle for a modeling amp to approach tube sound - get the real deal for the same money! And if you need effects, you can buy pedals and hook them up to the effects loop on the amp.

I was surprised at the low number of reviews at Amazon for this amp...and they aren't really great either! I've had no issues with noise - which surprised me! Tube devices are natrually noisy, aren't they? I don't know if they have a noise gate in the circuit, but there is no hum or unwanted noise that I hear from my amp. Yes, there is no foot switch included, but if you really need it, you can get one for $30 or so. You really only need it if you are gigging and need to change channels mid song. If you go to online music store websites (guitar center, musician's friend, etc.), you'll see this amp is held in high regard and considered a great deal.

If you want authentic tube sound without breaking the bank, you should consider this amp.
on September 22, 2010
It's better than I expected, the all tube power it's amazing, and the distortion crush bones!!
on May 25, 2013
Let's see... After doing a lot of research trying to decide which tube amp to buy between 40 to 60W, I decided to get this one used eventhough it's underpriced new at about 500 Euros especially for an all tube amp. Well, I bought it so I could modd it with new speaker and tubes, 'cause for this cheap and well built amp Peavey had to save somewhere. In original condition i found the clean chanel very good. The gain chanel was okay but the distortion was harsh and too thin. So I replaced the original speaker with Celestion V30 and replaced all 3 preamp tubes with new tung sol tubes. Haven't tried changing the powertubes as of yet. And look then!!! The Amp sounded much more alive and the lead chanel was smoother and fuller. I'm acctually amazed with the sound this gave me. A big thumbs up for the footswitch esspecially the boost function which not only raises the volume, it makes solos lead parts so smooth and gives it beautiful sustain. So I don't really need any pedals in front of this amp except my wah wah. For sone songs where I so need a chorus and such modulation effects I put them through valvekings fx loop. It has more then enough power for practice and small to medium gigs. In original condition I'd give it a 3-4 stars. With the mods I did definetly 5. It beats even my older Marshall JTM 60 that costs used at about 800 euros. I got the valveking used for 300 euros. Like I said, I'm loving it so much and can't stop talking about it. Should probably talk less and play more ...
on November 7, 2012
My Valve King is an excellent little amp. I think any excessive hum problems may be house wiring related as I've had zero ground hum issues and have seen little on it. Possibly new tubes required? I put some old stock 12AX7's in and a Celestion V30 speaker and it really rocks! Clean is very nice and starts to break up at about 4. The lead channel cooks. It sounds great and has a nice footswitchable gain / volume boost. I sometimes use it in smaller venues even though a larger amp of mine would fit because it sounds so good! It cost a bit to upgrade speaker and tubes but for the price of the amp it's worth it. Great quality for very reasonable money - typical Peavey!
on February 17, 2014
This little A-B class tube amp rocks. Extraordinarily capable in any situation, regardless of the style of music beling played throughit. The 12" speaker delivers without complaint and the 50 watt amp is more than enough for any venue. Be sure to order the optional footswitch to get the most out of the total capabilities of this unit. Whether you prefer the American sound of the 6L6-GC or the British sound of the EL-84, this amp will satisfy your needs for years to come. Overdrive is killer and reverb is stellar. No one else can deliver this much tonal range and volume for such a reasonable price. Hurry up and order, before Peavey runs out.
on January 4, 2012
These amps have a lot of plastic on the jacks. They can start to hum. Mine did. Researching online , it needs work due to inadequate grounding. Peavey could do better.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 15, 2014
Great tube amp for the price!

See 1 answered question