Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

• Peeps

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 34 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 133 reviews
on September 5, 2011
In all seriousness, I could see this becoming a television show or movie. It isn't preachy or too fanciful like the works of Anne "Lolcow" Rice or Heaven forbid, Stephanie Meyer. It actually tries to detaill the idea that Vampirism could have started out as a kind of parasite which which influences the culture of people around it and messes with your mind to make you do things to spread it easier, like biting.

I won't go into too many details, but its a good read, makes you feel like the setting could be right outside your window, and kinda makes you wish such a thing could actually exist. The characters are relatable and have the feel of someone tossed into circumstances beyond their control and more or less have the look and feel of ascended geeks; or people who read such fiction and find a kind of ambivalence to their circumstnaces rather than mortal terror.

Another fresh take on the 'vampirism as an illness' is that, rather than give into the cliche of vampire hunters we have characters whom are sympathetic and attempt to treat the afflicted with drugs that surpress the parasites' growth and rehabilitation rather than 'Gwar, slay and kill'.

Again, this would make a fantastic movie. If only people weren't so focused on drivel like Newish Moon.
on November 30, 2015
I ordered a used copy and it came in great condition. I've read this book many times before, but I needed my own copy. I always love 1st-person narrated stories, so I really like Cal's voice in this. The even-numbered chapters are also fun reads (though a little creepy) and add to the story... sort of like an educational commercial break!

WARNING: Depending where you order from, the cover might be different. The cover on mine was different (I took a picture). This was the cover I actually wanted, though--I got lucky--but it would be misleading to others if they were expecting the current cover that's shown. This was the cover of the copy I first read, so I really like it. :)
review image
on May 10, 2015
Scott Westefeld has grown to become one of my absolute favorite authors. He can write just about anything. From Leviathan to Pretties, he's so... ugh, what's the word? Resilient, diverse, creative, captivating.

This is no exception. For a quick read, this one fits the deal. Interesting biology/parasitology facts written real witty and fun? Check. A compelling and unique story that'll leave you breathless and make you thirst for the next chappie? Check. Typical glittery vampire love story? no check. This is not your typical one. An awesome, likeable character? Check. Completely plausible fictional-historical facts? Yep. Action-packed, nail-biting plot? you got it. Go for it.
on June 19, 2017
Grades 9-12, Ha! I'm 7th grade, and this book was still awesome. I'm not totally average though, and this kinda freaked out some of my friends. Never the less, this book demands to be read, and is almost imposible to put down.
on March 15, 2016
The best interpretation of vampires I have ever come across in fiction, and just a treat for any boy (or girl) who liked to talk about gross things when they were a little kid. Or for anyone who finds the more unnerving parts of human bacterial relations fascinating.

Going off that description, it sounds like a strange book--and it is. But it's also an awesome book. One of my favorites.

Go read this.
on August 10, 2017
One of my favorite books of all time
on October 11, 2009
Scott Westerfeld's books are off-the-wall, intriguing, imaginative, and, best of all, unique in a sea of Tolkein, Rowling, and Meyer rip-offs. Have you ever heard of vampirism portrayed as a pathogenic virus? It may be implicit in other series about vampires and their ability to transform humans into vampires, but I've never seen it dealt with so literally as it is with this book. He's the Joss Whedon of the literary world, but with the advantage of a lack of TV execs to mess up his vision.

The book follows a very logical progression, with funny and scary and imaginative turns. The only disappointing part was the subway tunnel battle with the worm or whatever it was. I'm sure the reader wasn't given much to go on because the narrative is first person--how can the audience know what the main character-narrator doesn't?--but the fight itself was a little anti-climatic. But I thought the things with the cats and the rats and the anathema (Elvis added some needed comic relief) were all well-thought out and interesting ideas, and thus balanced out the worm thing. That was really creepy.

The kicker is, of course, that the books don't probe into deeper questions. Unless there's some sort of metaphor with AIDS going on here, but that doesn't make any sense. When I read this, though, I just needed a distraction, not something to philosophically muse over. Westerfeld's books are great for that, and great to read again and again, beacause though they may be a little shallow, it's excellently written, shallow stuff. And that's rare.

I will continue reading this series, and Westerfeld's books.
on July 18, 2006
You may have heard about them before, but they aren't what you think. They have superhuman strength and can hear, smell, and see things from farther away than you can imagine. These Peeps, or Parasite-Positives, start to hate the sunlight and everything else they've ever loved. And they begin to crave human blood, the kind still flowing through people's bodies.

So when Cal Thompson moves to New York City and spends the night with Morgan, a girl he's never met, his desires and passions change forever. He finds out he's been infected by the parasite, but not in the worst way. He's only a carrier, which means he's able to control his desires, to a point. Even still, he's not allowed to kiss or do anything else with a girl because things could get out of hand, and the last thing he wants is to infect someone else.

Cal gets a job with the Night Watch, a secret organization as old as the city itself, searching the streets for parasite-positives. His investigation leads him to a girl named Lace, who has information that may be able to help him. He's forced to fight back his fear of infecting her because he needs her help to follow this strange trail of clues that may end up changing everything, once again.

There's something special about a novel that can take the mysteriously paranormal and make it seem so everyday, so normal. Perhaps it's the way every other chapter offers an intriguing glimpse into the world of parasites and the way that resonates with the cleverly-crafted storyline of Scott Westerfeld's PEEPS. Or maybe it's Cal's encounter with the unknown and the way he grapples with his fears that connects with readers and, ultimately, entertains them.

Reviewed by Jonathan Stephens
on September 11, 2009
I have read other books by this author and unfortunately did not like this one quite as much, mostly because it was not what I was expecting, so I was a little disappointed. From reading the book description, I thought this would be a different take on vampires and after reading the Twilight series, I am all about the vampires. Monster worms, not so much. That said, the writing is very descriptive and the author spins a good tale. The frequent chapters interspersed throughout describing various parasites and what they do was interesting, in a rather weird, disgusting sort of way. This is one young adult book that I think is really better suited to the young adults. My official rating is 3.5 stars, I thought it was just "okay" for me personally, but the writing is very good and I do think young teenagers will love this.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 2013
I really enjoyed the combination of story and parasitic factoids. It made for a very interesting read. The only thing I didn't like was the continued use of the word "Dude". Like, that is so over!