Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Peggy Sue Got Married
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEM

Format: DVD|Change

on March 19, 2007
First, I can't believe how shallow, misinformed, obtuse and insensitive Tom Keogh's editorial review is.

"Peggy Sue Got Married" is a wonderful, funny, heartfelt and somewhat haunting story about how the ghosts of high school affect us throughout our lives.

Kathleen Turner's performance, as a woman who time-travels back to her last year of high school, is nothing short of a brilliant. It's a physical marvel - the way Turner transforms, through her subtle facial gestures and mannerisms, back into the body of a teenager. Faced with the awesome possibility of being able to relive high school, knowing what she knows now, Peggy Sue behaves like anyone would given the chance. What would you say to your grandmother, now dead? What about the boy you're going to marry, and who you later divorce?

The movie is very touching, and also very funny, and is definitely the last great film that Francis Ford Coppola made. Coppola was, by 1986, in a very tumultuous period in his career - wasting his time developing cinematic technology and experimental narratives that derailed his career. With "Peggy Sue Got Married," Coppola had a great story, a great actress, and he simply decided to make a great film.

"Peggy Sue Got Married" is one of the best films of mid-1980s.
on April 29, 2004
William Butler Yeats:
When You Are Old
When you are old and grey and full of sleep,
And nodding by the fire, take down this book,
And slowly read, and dream of the soft look
Your eyes had once, and of their shadows deep;
How many loved your moments of glad grace,
And loved your beauty with love false or true,
But one man loved the pilgrim Soul in you,
And loved the sorrows of your changing face;
And bending down beside the glowing bars,
Murmur, a little sadly, how Love fled
And paced upon the mountains overhead
And hid his face amid a crowd of stars.
That comes from a scene where Peggy Sue (Kathleen Turner) is talking to a poet Michael Fitzsimmons (Kevin J. O'Connor) while she is visiting her high school years. The scene is one of my favorite movie scenes ever and I feel that the movie itself is a timeless piece of cinema. Look out for performances from Jim Carrey, Nicholas Cage, Hellen Hunt, and a young Sofia Copola (director of Lost in Translation, Virgin Suicides) as Peggy's bratty kid sister (is there another kind?) Great musical score. And this is the one flick guranteed to make me tear up everytime.
22 comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2000
I consider Francis Coppola as one of the five best directors of the last 30 years. Even in his less successful movies, there is still the sparkle of the genius. And ONE FROM THE HEART which was a huge flop, critical and popular, is, in my opinion, a masterpiece, along with APOCALYPSE NOW and THE GODFATHER, part I, II and III.
Now why would Francis Coppola be interested in the screenplay of PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED, a light and nostalgic comedy about life and its disenchantments ? Perhaps the subject touched him because of the recent fall of Zoetrope Studios which, at this time, was falling apart with Coppola's dreams and money. In this perspective, PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED is a formidable statement of a bleeding director : " If I could live again now, knowing what I know, I won't change a thing ! ".
Speaking of perspective, let's observe that there aren't any mirrors in the real world of Peggy Sue, Coppola choosing to shoot the back of another actress when Kathleen Turner faces her mirror. This creates an uneasiness in the audience because we have the impression that Peggy Sue will jump out of the mirror. Great idea of an always innovative director.
You will have understood that PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED is a movie you can watch several times and still discover another little pearl hidden in it. That's cinema. And I like it this way.
A DVD for your library.
on September 27, 1999
This movie does have some flaws but due to Kathleen Turner's performance it merits 4 stars. This role was originally supposed to go to that other great actress, who deserves better, Debra Winger. But Turner is brilliant. She actually becomes a teen again but in the same body and that is a real challenge that she was up to. Watch for early roles of Helen Hunt, Joan Allen and Jim Carrey. Turner was very deserving of a Best Actress Nomination (one she should have got for Romancing the Stone AND Serial Mom). I pray that great actresses like Turner and Winger get great roles NOW and not in crap like they have been offered in the past few years. Anyway the DVD of Peggy Sue is totally worthy of purchasing.
on December 7, 2010
I agree with one of the reviews that Coppola is the best director of the past thiry - forty years. I saw Peggy Sue when it first opened. I didn't appreciate it then. The musical score and the cinematography should let you know it's basically not a comedy but a meditation. It is deep and poignant and I could watch it many times. It may be one of the undervalued films of all time.
on August 12, 2006
I remember watching this at the movies and not ever wanting it to end. Back in the day, movie tickets weren't too expensive so I think I saw it 3 times there and rented it out on video when it came out about 50 times. It's been about 12 years since I saw it until today, and it's just as good and I still love it.

Peggy Sue (Kathleen Turner) goes to her high school reunion and faints. Upon waking, she is back in school as if it were all those years ago again. I think for me, it was one of the first 'time travel' movies I saw. It's not especially funny or dramatic, but it's really nice and warm and beautifully done. It also stars a very young Jim Carrey which is funny to look back on.

This really is a cute movie and worth watching because there is good music in it (also a very nice score throughout), familiar faces (Helen Hunt, Joan Allen and a young Nicholas Cage to name a few) and a good feeling to finish with. You'll love it.
on November 10, 2013
I absolutely love this movie. Peggy Sue's memories takes me back to a time of innocence. There were many things in the movie that brought back memories.

My sister's boyfriend had a black Impala like Charlie's blue one. In one scene you could see a corner of a Helms Bakery Truck. In Los Angeles, Helms Bakery had a huge bakery in Culver City. They would dispatch trucks all over Los Angeles County. The truck had a little air whistle and we would run out to the truck that had drawers filled with donuts, cookies, bread, cream puffs and cakes that were all baked that morning. The inside of the truck smelled like heaven.

I remember my sisters wearing the poodle skirts and scarfs around their necks. What a time, what a time.
on September 13, 2013
Critics may not praise it, but that matters not to me! This movie takes place in a time when I was a teen, and just to relive that period in my life is a lot of fun. Kathleen Turner plays Kathleen Turner...that is, she is still pretty much in adult mode even having been transported back into her high school years. Her group of friends are pretty impressive! Nicholas Cage as her high school heartthrob, Jim Carrey, in one of his first roles shows some glimmer of what was to come later in his career. Maureen O'Sullivan and Leon Ames as her grandparents are warm and natural. I have watched this movie over and over many times, and continue to enjoy it. Going back to the 50's in this movie is relatively painless and quite a lot of fun. Suspend your reality-based thoughts, and just have a fantasy trip back in time.
on October 9, 2014
This movie is a "Blast From The Past" and it brings with it memories of how it used to be: High School sweethearts planning for marriage right after school; wanna be rock n roll boyfriends with Elvis sideburns, proms, and moms and dads that want to meet the young man you're dating. Remember when kissing on the first date just was not proper?!! It seems to be more and more difficult to find a good family movie worth watching, and so I often look for a dated movie - one that I remember enjoying when It first came into theaters. This movie really fits the bill because there is good music in it (a good score throughout), familiar faces of famous stars when they too were younger - Helen Hunt, Joan Allen and Nicholas Cage! It's like a breath of fresh air that leaves you smiling!
on May 6, 2001
This an excellent film to watch primarily bacause all the cast members, including Coppola's daughter who plays Sue's sister in the movie, did a super job of acting their parts. I understand that Miss Kathleen Turner did not want Mr. Cage to be her co-star; however, Coppola wisely insisted that his nephew play the roll Some reviews are critical of Mr. Cage's performance; on the contrary, he does capture the part of that type of kid. I knew several fellas like him when I went to high school in the 40's. With the exception of one scene in which Miss Turner sexually get's involved with the student poet, the entire family can watch the film without being embarrassed. I feel Peggy Sue Got Married will be appreciated in the future like many of us now appreciate "It Happened One Night" with Cable and Colbert. "It Happened One Night," with Cable and Colbert.