Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 65 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 69 reviews
on April 21, 2014
I bought this to protect an expensive electronic instrument (Fluke 87-V DMM), and it just fits with the probes included.
The hinge uses stainless pins for extra strength; and the lid, body of the case, and latch mechanism all appear to be super tough polycarbonate, with a rubber liner the size of the body of the case to cushion the contents and act as a seal for the lid.
There's also a nice Pelican innovation of a pressure equalization valve right below the latch to allow air from heat expansion to escape if the case gets warmed up, but still keep the contents sealed.
It also comes with a carabiner attached to one end to make it easy to secure to something else to prevent loss.
A quick check on Pelican's site finds that this case is water RESISTANT, not waterproof, explaining that it will keep water out down to one meter deep for up to thirty minutes.
What that translates to is that this wouldn't work for scuba diving, but it would be perfect to protect cell phones and other fragile items while boating and in rain.
My own experience with Pelican's smaller version of this case, the Micro 1020, bears this out, since I took it with me canoeing over a decade ago to protect my cell phone, and the case wound up in the water, yet protected it perfectly, and the case stayed afloat with my phone and wallet inside.
In fact, it's a very good thing I took it with me because I had to call 911 for a woman who had been knocked unconscious that day, and the phone was still bone dry, even though I needed to retrieve the Pelican case holding it from the water earlier.
It's also nice how easy it is to open and close this case, which can be done easily with one hand.
I also should mention that this case floats, even when I have my somewhat heavy (over 22 oz.) Fluke 87-V DMM in it.
The most important thing for the prospective buyer to know is what are the internal dimensions, which are not listed here on Amazon, so here they are, straight from Pelican's site: 8.25" x 4.25" x 2.25"
on April 18, 2015
I use this case for two primary purposes.
1) To keep my phone, mouse, Mi-Fi and other fragile items from being damaged (crushed) in my backpack. The case has allowed those items to survive being stuffed in my computer backpack and crammed into overhead compartment on planes.
2) To store my wallet, phone and keys when I'm out on my boat or Kayak.
Simply stated, the case is tough -- water and crush resistant. I've used the case for approximately 4 years and it still works like new. One suggestion, stuff a couple of paper towels into the case to keep the electronics from moving around inside the compartment.
Pros:
It's water-tight, at least above the surface of the water. I've never dunked one to test it, but it has slipped into saltwater on one occasion and there was no sign of water / moisture inside the case or on it's contents (phone, keys and money clip).
It's crush-resistant - as described above
It seems to resist wear and tear very well....the case still looks relatively new
Cons:
It's a little pricey, but worth the cost to me
It can be a bit challenging to open and close....I'm find with it, but it might be hard for youngsters and the elderly to open and close.
on May 28, 2017
I ordered at least ten of these in varied color -
1. is set up with industrial velcro glued in - to secure Voltmeter and all options of test leads.
The meter never leaves it's spot when in use.
on November 28, 2012
The only real con about this is that it is kind of overpriced but I know that this brand is well known and pretty durable. We use it for boating and other water activities; it fits two iPhones, keys, and a wallet comfortably with a little room to spare. One of the bigger models might be better to fit EVERYONE's equipment while on the water but for now this works for the two of us. It is kind of difficult to open as well but it isn't really a big deal; just make sure to hold it while opening so your stuff doesn't fly out everywhere.
on May 9, 2015
I have a survival box but this one is more compact and light. I packed a few items to make a water proof first aid kit!

Update: I attempted to make it a survival box and I packed a small fire steel, a small folding knife, an emergency blanket, an emergency tent, a box of tinder, a compact saw, a small bottle of water purification tablet, a button compass, a little torch, a small fishing kit and some aluminium foil, some band-aids Takes a bit force to close it, but very tightly packed and compact. Great for a hiking trip!

Update: see photos.
review image review image review image review image
on March 13, 2017
I was hoping for a better seal and it seems a little flimsy. I returned the product.
on June 12, 2017
Pelican products are well made and last. This one is no different. I highly recommend this if you are looking for solid protection for your valuables.
on April 8, 2017
Small but rugged and great for carrying special supplies that should be separate from other equipment. especially if you double-bag sensitive items in, say, a plastic bag, which to me is common sense.
on October 27, 2015
A high-quality product. Out in the wild, I've used this once on a kayaking trip, but no opportunities to test its watertight resistance.

Technically, these cases aren't waterproof, but if you're smart and don't dunk it in water and whatnot, it should keep things dry -- especially if you double-bag sensitive items in, say, a plastic bag, which to me is common sense.
on October 31, 2016
I've used this case as well as another for canoeing and camping. They have worked wonderfully and have survived every accident, being dumped in a fast moving river and survived a fall I thought would have crushed it. I'll buy another should I need one.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.