Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: Electronics|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,227 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,315 reviews
on January 19, 2014
First off, I should mention that I bought this case specifically for photography gear. I'm a wedding/event photographer and need to transport my gear to/from locations and wanted something a bit more durable and easier to work out of. My goal was to be able to put my more expensive primary items in this case, while still using my backpack for outdoor (mobile) shooting.

When I first unboxed the case, I thought I was going to have to buy a larger one. I was pleasantly surprised with how much gear I was able to fit after spending a morning carefully breaking away the pre-cut cube foam. Keep this in mind. You will need to sit yourself down for several hours carefully shaping the foam. I found it quite enjoyable despite the fact that I watched Manchester United lose (again) while doing this. Just take your time and try to leave about 2 layers of foam between the heavier items.

FYI: Inspect the foam grid before you start breaking out the pieces you don't need! There is a seam that runs along the middle in the horizontal and vertical directions that is slightly wider than the pre-cut squares. It's hard to explain, but you'll notice it if you just take one close look. I would suggest you try to leave these 2 seams untouched as they will give the foam a tiny bit more rigidity.

For reference, here's the gear that I'm storing in this case:
- Canon 1D-series body (w/ eyepiece extender and an Arca Swiss plate plus CustomSLR C-loop on bottom)
- Canon 6D body (w/ eyepiece extender and CustomSLR C-loop on bottom)
- 24-70mm 2.8L lens w/ hood attached
- 135mm 2.0L lens w/ hood attached
- 16-35mm f/2.8L *without the hood* or 35mm f/1.4L lens
- 3 Canon Speedlites (more on this below)***
- Some slots plucked out for smaller items (16 AA batteries, extra 1D battery, extra 6D battery, 6D charger, 3 Speedlite shoes, 8 card SD card holder.

I work out of this case when I'm on location. If I'm going to go mobile, I'll pick out what I need and throw it in my backpack.

***Note retarding Speedlites: I have 600EX's. This case is about 1/4" too shallow to place them vertically. If you could, there would be even more space for gear. I have 2 of the flashes laying on top of each other and the 3rd is placed in a slot where the head is tilted in the 90-degree position. If you have 580EX (or something other) check the length. If they are at least 1/4 inch shorter when the head is pointed directly up, this case will hold a bit more gear.

After thinking about the purchase of this specific case a bit more, I will likely buy a second identical one so I have a place for the rest of my photography related gear (brackets, extra card holders, 70-200 f2.8L IS lens, 1D series body charger (which is big), AA chargers, etc.)

I'm not going to question the durability of any Pelican case. I have 2 others that I've been using for many years and they are as close to indestructible as you can get. It's a very safe purchase that will last a very long time. Keep in mind that these cases hold their value should you decide to sell it a year or 3 down the road.

I'll snap a photo of my layout and upload it here ASAP.
review image
66 comments| 237 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2014
This product deserves 5++ stars. Pelican makes phenomenal cases, 2nd to none. Materials and workmanship are unmatched. Bought my 1510 carry-on case in '11. Since then it's gone through a lot of abuse. I use it on all my distance travels as well as everyday commute to work on bus/train. If you ignore external scrapes and bruises, it is still as tough and functional as the day I bought it. The seals still keep contents dry in in heaviest of rain. Latches, handles, wheels - all original and fully functional [wheel bearings need oil/grease and occasional replacement now and then depending on use and wear]. On one occasion I stumbled at the top of metro escalator and lost hold of the case. It tumbled down 100' of metal stairs - contents no worse for wear. I modified/relocated the holes for the wheel-axles in the plastic housing so that I get 1/3" more clearance between ground and lower edge of case (see photo). This also gives my wheels a little longer wear life. The company has been excellent. They sent me new wheels and components free of charge because of wearing. The low ground clearance is because the company is trying to maximize the usable volume while strictly keeping within airlines' carry-on guidelines. Both top and side grip handles are useful - mine gets more use from the top handle. The pull handle is extremely sturdy, much more so than traditional collapsible aluminum tubes. It is one solid thick/wide piece of plastic that uses gravity to fully retract easily - it has never failed me once. The only additional feature I wish the case had are loops for shoulder strap clips - heavy rain, sleet, snow and debris makes it difficult to pull with its small wheels and low clearance. Due to Pelican's sturdy construction and materials, you can expect it to be heavier than comparable soft-shelled carry-ons but that's the price for additional protection. It fits under most medium to large airlines seats and into overhead bins - only tiny puddle jumpers present problems. Despite the small wheels and low clearance it's still an excellent product and very highly recommended. I would not hesitate to buy more of their products.
on April 2, 2015
I can fit exactly 47 lbs of tools in this case with the lid accessory. I know this because I travel all over the world as a technician. I have uploaded photos of this case after twenty trips across seas to the Middle East and Europe and the tools that fit in it.

I will now list what I carry in this case: 1 Bosch ps-21 hand drill with extra battery and charger, two full sets of drill bits, two sets of security bits, a ferrule crimper, rj-45 crimper, an automatic wire stripper, 2 handheld wire strippers, d-type crimper, coaxial compression crimper, lmr-400 stripper, fiber shears, scissors, screw driver, precision screw driver, 1/4" socket set, cutters, utility knife, pens, files, center punch, coaxial stripper, cable stripper, fluke pro 300 probe and toner, multimeter, Allen wrenches, 6" crescent, channel locks, 8-12mm and 1/4"-1/2" spanners, 2 greenlee crimpall crimpers and die set, punchdown tool, soldering iron, coaxial/cat tester, head lamp, safety glasses, hearing protection, and solder.

I hope that I am doing this case justice when I say it is the best case I have found and currently in production at this time. Do I have to organize my tools in roll up pouches and a sensible manner? Yes but who wouldn't? There is nothing I could to do to improve this case unless I spent 3-6 months custom designing a 2nd version of this case with pelican. If you are curious about its capabilities all of the gear I have listed has survived TSA and every other transportation agency I have run into so far.
review image review image review image
on October 17, 2013
Overall, I'm a fan of Pelican products and their line of rugged cases. I purchased this model after watching a YouTube video praising it as a versatile camera case.

Rather than praises like most reviews, I'll skip to the parts that matter to you:

1. The interior is small if you use the egg-crate sponge it comes with. Although its size is approved for carry-on, it can only hold a little more than my Lowepro Versapack 200 AW backpack. Get the optional lid organizer. I made the mistake of assuming it came with one by looking at Amazon's pictures.

2. The wheels don't protude out of the case enough. There's very little clearance between the case and the ground while you roll it around. It won't roll around well on thick carpet.

3. The inside of the case has protrusions where the wheels are attached. These corners cannot be used to stow cameras because they're not padded well. You have been warned. My workaround is to section that lower part off with dividers and only place wires and straps in those corner slots. I don't think the FAA would have minded much if the wheels protruded out of the case just a tiny bit more.

4. The handle seems to shake from side to side alot. You also can't retract the handle with one hand.

5. I wish all the dividers were made felt material that could be 'Velcroed' to. Items inside the case would shift around less and you could do more with divider configuration.

As I look at this case though, it has potential. You'll have to get DIY with it though. My plan is to use it as a portable trunk organizer inside the car for my gear. I definitely don't plan on carrying this case around with me.

Oh, and don't forget to buy some dessicant and place one inside the case. You don't want moisture getting into your gear!
on June 20, 2013
I was going to screw the mesh kit (ordered separately) in but opted for another choice: velcro this mesh kit in!

I went to OSH and bought: (3) Velcro Industrial Strength 2" x 4" packs. Each pack came with 2 sets of 2" x 4" velcro strips. Just search for "Velcro - Industrial Strength Sticky-Back Hook & Loop Fastener Strips, 4 x 2".

This is great for me, in case I want to remove the mesh kit and put the foam sheet within the lid area. And it's great if I want to completely take the entire contents (mesh kit + divider pads) out and use the pelican case for something else---like packing clothes or other gear.

***I also let the velcro parts sit separately so the adhesive would dry properly (I read somewhere to give it 24 hours before it can guarantee it's full strength or something).

Hope this helps someone!
review image review image
on July 22, 2015
Excellent case! I can fit most of my bodies and lenses plus some other gear. I also bought the lid organizer to add extra space. There a few complaints about the weight, but I really don't mind it. I carry this thing around all day while shooting weddings and don't have much gripes; maybe I'm just used to it. The case is very sturdy! I bang this thing around and there are only a few scratches. It also makes for a great seat or step stool. I have had to stand on in situations where I forgot to bring my step ladder.

So what all can I fit in the case?

Nikon D700 with vertical grip, Nikon D90 with vertical grip, nikon 50mm 1.8 D, nikon 105mm 2.8 micro, nikon 24-70 2.8, nikon 85 1.4, nikon 70-200 2.8 VR II, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, Yongnuo Flash, SB-600, Batteries, memory cards, cables, snacks, business cards, Gels, Single-side Spider holster, and a camera rain jacket. (Photo doesn't show all of the stuff as some of it just lays on top of all camera gear.)
on March 25, 2015
I have been waiting to get a good case for traveling. Since I am going to Europe for 10 days in November i finally went ahead and got this case. Its heavy duty. Looks small on the inside but fits a ton of stuff. I got it with the pluck foam or whatever its called. Horrible. I'm not a fan of that. Also I'm not a fan of the dividers that involve velcro. So i searched and found a company that was formed by Kickstart called TrekPak. Awesome small business. They have a kit for may different types of cases so i got the Pelican one. I actually ordered another strip just in case i cut wrong. But its made to fit your gear. But so easy to move back and forth if you get new equipment. It like a firm foam with a plastic insert in the middle. The insert has holes and that is where you put a pin with red tab to connect the pieces together. The pins are very study.

My equipment i have in the case is as follows:

Canon T2i with Batter Grip and quick release plate
Canon 70D with Battery Grip and quick release plate
Tamron 150-600mm with hood
Tokina 11-16 wide angle lens with hood
Canon 18-135 lens with hood
Canon 55-250 lens
Raynox DCR-250 Super Macro Snap-On Lens
4 chargers

* These items were in the lid add-on*
bout 10 extra batteries
1 HDMI cable
1 cable for audio/video
remote switch
a bundle of memory cards

This thing when filled up is quite heavy but rolls around just fine. So happy i wont be killing my back anymore when traveling through airports.
review image review image review image review image review image
on November 16, 2016
I bought this case on craigslist new. It's a fantastic case, but just a couple of thoughts and tips I wish I had.

1) The wheels at the bottom protrude into the bottom layer of pick n pluck. So anything that requires two layers, I recommend putting toward the top handle end. I wish I would have put my flash at the bottom, since it only requires the top layer in depth. So my lens bottom cap rubs slightly on the plastic, I don't think it's an issue, but definitely not preferential. I put a thin layer of cut foam between the lens and the wheel.
2) Place all of your equipment on top of the foam before cutting where you want it, take your time and plan this out. Think about what items you might need in the future and plan space accordingly.
3) Use toothpicks and stick them around the equipment on top of the foam. It's in a grid, so line up the lines using that.
4) Then use a sharp knife to cut along the precut lines to each toothpick ([...])
5) Always make holes smaller than needed and slowly remove accordingly after.
6) Then carefully reach down through the first layer to pull apart the second layer.
7) It's three layers.Two layers of pick n pluck, and one layer that's just added cushion at the bottom.
8) try leave two square layers between each item, I cut it a little close with one layer, due to trying to be ambitious getting everything in this case. It seems a bit flimsy. I'm going to try to use glue to keep it from tearing. Try to avoid that if you can.
9) If you make a mistake, it's not the end of the world, you can get replacement foam ([...])
10) Take a few hours to do this, it took me maybe an hour and a half to get it how I like. It was actually kind of fun and very rewarding at the end.
11) Never flew with this, but apparently it's the maximum airplane carry on size.
12) It has two locking points on both sides of the handle.
13) It's a little heavy to carry around, but it rolls smoothly. Not as heavy as I expected it to be with my setup.
14) Don't make it flashy with stickers. I plan to keep it nice and black to keep it from standing out too much.

If it wasn't for the wheel protruding, it would definitely be five stars. I love the case. It's a good idea for anyone with several lenses that travel or do events. I plan on bringing my photo backpack (Lowepro 22L Hatchback Backpack) and leaving the case in the car, swapping out lenses when needed.
review image review image review image
on April 24, 2010
For my business I often must travel on short notice so I have a "go kit" packed for 3 day stays designed for carryon travel, and now its all in this case. Let me explain some things not shown in the picture.

First, on the back is the famous roller wheels and pull-out handle for getting through the airports. They are made of black plastic typical pelican tough stuff and don't show here.

Second, this case is sized for the maximum allowable carry-on size, which means no hassles at the airport.

Third, it comes with 2 layers of the famous pick and pluck foam insert. This does the job, but its not a custom fit for everything out there and looks funny. You can also buy closed cell foam sheets and trace out your product's outline, then I like to use an electric carving knife like you'd use on the thanksgiving turkey to cut clean lines and curves. That's a personal matter - if I'm traveling, I have smaller pieces of foam for sensitive stuff and often put clothes and such in the rest of the case, taking out the pelican foam.

Fourth, Pelican re-designed their tough as nails snaps. While they kept things closed tight, often getting them open after temperature and pressure changes could be a challenge. The new snap is a 2 step design with a closure step, followed by a locking step. This gives the same strength as before but without busting thumbs to get the snaps open.

Finally, the whole box is tough as nails. Just a note here, it is a heavy piece of carry on but most airlines don't weigh that yet. All the hinges are designed for the rigors of being kicked, dropped, water landings, etc and with proper packing your inside contents are ready to go.

I have one other Pelican travel case that I've owned for over a decade - it's their Maximum checked luggage box - it's been on alot of airplanes and now has the TSA low security lock so they can peek inside (they usually do and leave me a note on top of my dirty laundry since anything of value goes with me carryon). That box also has wheels and has become much more than a box over the year. It has served as a chair, a luggage cart to carry other bags on top of its wheels, and over 10 years of air and ship travel it has some scuff marks but everything still works. It's why I insist on pelican products and why I was happy to hear they made a max carryon size. My personal view on their divider system sold separately for this case is that it's suboptimal for most applications and a tad overpriced but I'm sure it does exactly what some people need by making lots of padded compartments inside once placed.
on June 11, 2016
I bought this to use as a carry on for short trips. It fits three days of cloths, toiletries, and my iPad pro with charger. That is about the maximum I could fit though. I am not going to use the foam but to order the one without foam the shipping time was crazy long. My job uses Pelican cases for protecting our expensive tools, so I know they are superior for durability and protection. All in all I think this will make a great piece of luggage for a long weekend or a short business trip.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.