Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now FFII_gno

Format: Electronics|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,265 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,356 reviews
on January 19, 2014
First off, I should mention that I bought this case specifically for photography gear. I'm a wedding/event photographer and need to transport my gear to/from locations and wanted something a bit more durable and easier to work out of. My goal was to be able to put my more expensive primary items in this case, while still using my backpack for outdoor (mobile) shooting.

When I first unboxed the case, I thought I was going to have to buy a larger one. I was pleasantly surprised with how much gear I was able to fit after spending a morning carefully breaking away the pre-cut cube foam. Keep this in mind. You will need to sit yourself down for several hours carefully shaping the foam. I found it quite enjoyable despite the fact that I watched Manchester United lose (again) while doing this. Just take your time and try to leave about 2 layers of foam between the heavier items.

FYI: Inspect the foam grid before you start breaking out the pieces you don't need! There is a seam that runs along the middle in the horizontal and vertical directions that is slightly wider than the pre-cut squares. It's hard to explain, but you'll notice it if you just take one close look. I would suggest you try to leave these 2 seams untouched as they will give the foam a tiny bit more rigidity.

For reference, here's the gear that I'm storing in this case:
- Canon 1D-series body (w/ eyepiece extender and an Arca Swiss plate plus CustomSLR C-loop on bottom)
- Canon 6D body (w/ eyepiece extender and CustomSLR C-loop on bottom)
- 24-70mm 2.8L lens w/ hood attached
- 135mm 2.0L lens w/ hood attached
- 16-35mm f/2.8L *without the hood* or 35mm f/1.4L lens
- 3 Canon Speedlites (more on this below)***
- Some slots plucked out for smaller items (16 AA batteries, extra 1D battery, extra 6D battery, 6D charger, 3 Speedlite shoes, 8 card SD card holder.

I work out of this case when I'm on location. If I'm going to go mobile, I'll pick out what I need and throw it in my backpack.

***Note retarding Speedlites: I have 600EX's. This case is about 1/4" too shallow to place them vertically. If you could, there would be even more space for gear. I have 2 of the flashes laying on top of each other and the 3rd is placed in a slot where the head is tilted in the 90-degree position. If you have 580EX (or something other) check the length. If they are at least 1/4 inch shorter when the head is pointed directly up, this case will hold a bit more gear.

After thinking about the purchase of this specific case a bit more, I will likely buy a second identical one so I have a place for the rest of my photography related gear (brackets, extra card holders, 70-200 f2.8L IS lens, 1D series body charger (which is big), AA chargers, etc.)

I'm not going to question the durability of any Pelican case. I have 2 others that I've been using for many years and they are as close to indestructible as you can get. It's a very safe purchase that will last a very long time. Keep in mind that these cases hold their value should you decide to sell it a year or 3 down the road.

I'll snap a photo of my layout and upload it here ASAP.
review image
66 comments| 245 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2014
This product deserves 5++ stars. Pelican makes phenomenal cases, 2nd to none. Materials and workmanship are unmatched. Bought my 1510 carry-on case in '11. Since then it's gone through a lot of abuse. I use it on all my distance travels as well as everyday commute to work on bus/train. If you ignore external scrapes and bruises, it is still as tough and functional as the day I bought it. The seals still keep contents dry in in heaviest of rain. Latches, handles, wheels - all original and fully functional [wheel bearings need oil/grease and occasional replacement now and then depending on use and wear]. On one occasion I stumbled at the top of metro escalator and lost hold of the case. It tumbled down 100' of metal stairs - contents no worse for wear. I modified/relocated the holes for the wheel-axles in the plastic housing so that I get 1/3" more clearance between ground and lower edge of case (see photo). This also gives my wheels a little longer wear life. The company has been excellent. They sent me new wheels and components free of charge because of wearing. The low ground clearance is because the company is trying to maximize the usable volume while strictly keeping within airlines' carry-on guidelines. Both top and side grip handles are useful - mine gets more use from the top handle. The pull handle is extremely sturdy, much more so than traditional collapsible aluminum tubes. It is one solid thick/wide piece of plastic that uses gravity to fully retract easily - it has never failed me once. The only additional feature I wish the case had are loops for shoulder strap clips - heavy rain, sleet, snow and debris makes it difficult to pull with its small wheels and low clearance. Due to Pelican's sturdy construction and materials, you can expect it to be heavier than comparable soft-shelled carry-ons but that's the price for additional protection. It fits under most medium to large airlines seats and into overhead bins - only tiny puddle jumpers present problems. Despite the small wheels and low clearance it's still an excellent product and very highly recommended. I would not hesitate to buy more of their products.
review image
0Comment| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 11, 2016
I bought this to use as a carry on for short trips. It fits three days of cloths, toiletries, and my iPad pro with charger. That is about the maximum I could fit though. I am not going to use the foam but to order the one without foam the shipping time was crazy long. My job uses Pelican cases for protecting our expensive tools, so I know they are superior for durability and protection. All in all I think this will make a great piece of luggage for a long weekend or a short business trip.
Great hardcase, with a few minor design issues.

PRO:
-Padded dividers work fairly well at protecting camera equipment.
-Shell is known-good Pelican design, will outlast the owner.
-Wheels roll smoothly.
-Handles on two different orientations allow comfortably carrying or lifting.
-Lid foam and dividers are NOT glued in place, can be replaced quickly and easy. Friction holds them in place.
-Stainless Steel reinforcement around lock tabs.
-Double-throw latches are easy to open or close.

CON:
-Divider system has 2 specific sizes of dividers, and a central spine. You are limited to using them specifically as Pelican intended.
-Insufficient dividers to protect many smaller lenses.
-Dividers only have hook surfaces, and must be connected to central spine, floor, or inner walls. Cannot be connected to one another. (A major design improvement would be to make the dividers out of the soft loop-side material, so any divider could connect to any other surface, including other dividers.)
-Dividers come basically tossed into case, need to be assembled by user before use.
-If top foam is removed, say, to install the top organizer (Pelican part number 1515), the no protection is offered on the top. (A thin layer of closed-cell foam could have been placed there to afford a small amount of protection.)
-Wheeling / drag handle is wobbly when deployed.
-Case is very heavy and may be over your airline's carry-on weight limit even when empty.
-Wheels and handle occupy a small amount of internal space, and dividers do not provide padding over those spaces. Be sure your equipment doesn't contact there.
on January 11, 2016
I needed a tough, waterproof suitcase and this fits the bill. This case is in and out of trucks every day in all kinds of weather and pulled across various types of paved surfaces and side walks. It encounters bumps, holes, cracks, dirt, rocks, snow, ice, rain - did I leave anything out? well you get the idea. Then it's loaded into a shuttle van with other drivers luggage and gear where it takes more abuse. It has two sturdy handles for carry upright or horizontal and a very easy to operate slide out handle to pull it. The sturdy wheels are recessed to allow the case to lay flat or to stand upright. The latches are the best I've seen on any case and the hinges are solid and hold the lid open to access contents while in the truck if necessary. The lid liner (sold separately) makes a great companion to organize personal belongings. I pack three changes of clothes, personal items, atlas, gps, and a gps mounting bracket. This case is a tad heavier than an average suit case - but if you need a tough suit case look no further!
As a female wedding and portrait photographer, a lot of people told me this would be too heavy for me, especially once all the gear was in. I figured, I already am carrying all that gear in three different bags (inefficient!) and it can't get that much heavier in a Pelican. I'm beyond glad I did this. I am so RELIEVED of the weight from carrying three bags that couldn't be rolled, but had to be carried over my shoulders or back ALL day long. I've rolled this sucker on grass, on hills, pebbles (okay, had to eventually carry it over that, but that's ok!), and this little beauty just rolls right along. I love it so much. I'm also short, so standing on it for when I forget a chair or stool is perfect. This is my new assistant.
on May 20, 2017
Excellent rolling case - also is carry-on size for flights. We use this at work for transporting audio equipment - our company has about 30 of these. Found them to be rugged and durable. They are also waterproof and airtight, so if you store things, there won't be moisture. Never hurts to throw in some silica gel packets. I finally bought one for personal use and expect it to function like the ones at work. I opted for the padded dividers as I'll be carrying various electronics. If you are carrying high-end electronic items, I recommend the foam so that you can tailor the foam to your item for super added protection. Highly recommended.
on July 3, 2017
I have been looking for a single case to transport all my camera gear while traveling. Until now I have been using a camera backpack which can be a hassle and doesn't provide much protection. This case allows me to carry all my gear and have it protected as well. I currently have it loaded with a Canon 7D, 70-200 f/4, 17-85mm, 28mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8, 18-55mm w/ wide angle filter, 580EXII, as well as extra batteries, straps, and external hard drives for on the road backups with my laptop. All of this gear fits just fine and there is even space to upgrade to one of the larger 70-200 f2.8 lenses in the future. Overall this is a great case and Pelican deserves the praise the are given.
on March 28, 2017
In my opinion Pelican is the only travel case maker. These things are indestructible. The 1510 is a perfect size for carry on, I've flown with this thing countless times. The customizable padding makes it very easy to store a lot of camera gear. Normally I can get 1-2 DSLR's, a C100, 2 wide lenses, and a 70-200 in there. I also purchased a 3rd party accessory lid which allows me to add additional cables, chargers, and other camera accessories. For the price these cases are so worth it, it'll last you a lifetime.
on July 28, 2015
The Pelican case certainly comes as advertised. The case is sturdy, strong and certainly well padded - the included dividers are a nice touch compared to the pluck and pull foam it normally comes with. For the money it's asking for, I would say that it's worth the investment in protecting your camera gear - I don't plan on going travelling with the case as I find it too heavy to travel with - especially with all the gear I've packed into it (I would only take what I would assume I would need for travelling) but rather use this case as a home storage unit to hold and protect my gear.

The pros -

Strong
Well padded
Locable
Heavy and sturdy

The one con -

Doesn't fit as much as expected - I could only fit a body, two Canon white L telephoto zoom lenses and two regular zoom lenses into the case before it filling up comfortably. I thought I could fit more but alas, I couldn't.

It's well worth the investment for protection purposes - if you do plan on travelling, rest assured that your gear will come out intact.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.