Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Color: Black|Change

Showing 1-10 of 212 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 220 reviews
Purchased for my photography equipment and love it. I was worried that it would be too big however it worked out perfectly. It has plenty of room for me to grow into it. I attached a photograph of what I fit into this case. I have my Sony a77 mounted with a Carl Zeiss 24-70mm lens. A 70mm, 50mm, and the standard 18-135mm lens. My 70-200 f2.8 lens (not in the picture) easily fits into this case. I also have three Pocket Wizards, Sekonic L-758DR, two speed lights, and three 77mm filters. As you can see in the picture, I still have plenty of room to add an a99 body, a few more lenses, and accessories. If this looks too big for you, consider the Pelican 1510 case; it is smaller and can be taken on an airplane as a carry-on.
review image
55 comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2015
This 1650 Case is amazing. It is substantial. It fits everything I have inside, and there is no doubt in my mind that it's all completely safe.

I don't use the case for shipping or air travel, but I do use it for taking ALL my equipment to shoots and events.

It fits a [70-200 f/2.8 IS] perfectly if sat vertically.

The Pick N' Pluck foam came in two 4-inch sections, with an additional more stiff 1-inch section that covers the bottom, and a 1 1/2 to 2-inch section that fits in the lid to cover your gear when the case is closed.

Each Pick N' Pluck section is 1/2-inch wide, and the entire 4-inches long of the section. If the 4-inches (or 8) is too much depth, you can take the pieces of the foam out, and (if needed cut them down) place them back in horizontally to reduce depth of the foam.

The latches on the outside of the case are so solid that you can be assured that it's sealed merely by the sound of the latch closing. And seven times assured with 7 latches and two metal padlock holes for extra sealing and security.

This is a solid case and I would have paid twice the price for it.
review image review image
on January 11, 2015
Well, this is my second Pelican case. I've owned the small (carry-on compliant) 1510 for over a year now and absolutely love it!

Besides this 1650 being HUGE (I can fit my 1510 case inside with room left over), it still complies with all U.S. airlines check baggage size limits (by 2-inches!). However, I must say that this case is also pretty darn heavy just by itself at around 30 pounds (13.5 Kilos). So, keep this in mind because, even though physical size of the 1650 is fine for checked luggage, the WEIGHT requirements are around 50 pounds (22.5 Kilos). So, you only got less than 20 pounds (9 Kilos) before going over limit and getting charged extra!

I personally have loaded my 1650 with over 40 pounds (18 Kilos) of camera and lighting gear. All I can say is that I'm soooo glad for all the heavy duty handles in order to move this amount of weight around. And yet, once on its wheels, it's stupid easy to roll around fully loaded! The scary thing is, I have no doubt this 1650 can hold even more weight. Which would simply make it a two-person job lifting something that heavy.

So, with that said, how about I just copy/paste my review of the 1510 from last year?

I am completely blown away with the quality and features. This world would be a much better place if everything was made to this standard.

Although it's a little expensive (especially for the 1650 model), I feel I got well over 127.38% return from my investment and have ZERO regrets from finally being able to afford this size of Pelican case. I plan on this case being with me for the rest of my life.

Pros:
- Outstandingly durable; I would trust my life with this product (literally)!
- Large amount of space, and I mean a lot!
- Heavy duty handles and latches
- Lockable with metal-reinforced padlock holes
- EVERYTHING proof (wind, water, sand, dirt, snow, elephants, airport baggage handlers etc...)
- Quad roller wheels are easy, durable, stable, and low profile
- Collapsible handle for wheeling around
- Lifetime warranty
- Able to carry heavy loads

Cons:
- Wish logos (branding) were a little smaller and less noticeable. I ended up using some photography gaffers tape to cover them
on November 6, 2013
I swear by Pelican cases to keep my stuff safe and conveniently portable. I use them for photography gear, and I've found that it's much easier to wheel in three big cases full of stuff than it is to make multiple trips for small armloads of milk creates, cardboard boxes, and travel bags. I can shove the cases into any space they'll fit in my car and not worry about what's on top of what.

This case features enough room for six studio light heads plus cables and accessories. The foam comes in two layers, so you can make each compartment full or half depth. I tried my best to fit the contours of the items I'm holding, and then carve out two big full-depth pockets to hold power cords and the like.

The wheels are big enough that it rolls easily over most surfaces without wobbling back and forth too much. I'm sure it also cuts down on wear and tear over time. It's a really nice case, and showing up for gigs with professional cases not only helps me get started quickly, but I gotta say, looks nice to the client.
on May 14, 2015
I bought this case to safely store and transport my Alienbees lights for photography. Right now I have an AB800, AB400, Vagabond Mini Lithium Battery, three Canon 550 EX flashes, remote triggers, extra batteries plus external battery packs for the 550's, the 7" AB reflectors as well as the AB grid stack. With all of that in there I can still fit another AB flash as well as two more Vagabond Mini Lithium batteries in there and feel safe checking it on an airline.

These cases are the best out there. I also have the 1510 carry on case that I use to transport my cpap, a light camera gear set, and laptop for travel for work. Along with that I also have the 1200 that I keep a Canon 6D in with a 40 pancake, an extra battery, an 85 f1.8 and a 15 f2.8 fisheye in. That is my every day case.

I lost an expensive camera/lens years ago in a canoe tipping accident and I vowed to do better to protect my gear. Ice fishing and fishing in the boat are a big part of my life. Keeping gear safe, secure, and dry are important components of an enjoyable trip. Use Pelican Cases. They are the best.
review image
on May 30, 2012
I use this case to carry the guts of my photo booth. Not only does it have the space to transport my delicate electronics it is the toughest, most rugged case you can buy. The rollers are heavy duty and have no issues on loose gravel and the case is water tight for keeping my stuff safe in the rain.

My setup includes a 24 inch monitor/computer system, two studio strobes, one Nikon camera with lens attached, all of the power bricks, cables, and wireless keyboard and mouse.
on December 7, 2013
Great case for transporting just about anything. I use it to transport a dell 27" monitor, as well as the needed cables and accessories. These things are bullet proof, literally. Also, pretty TSA proof. The only complaint is that this case is HEAVY when empty and it's very easy to go over weight limits for airlines if you put anything substantial inside of it. The bottom latches on these cases seem hard to close at times but it is easily solved buy hitting your hand on the lid and letting it settle into the seal.
on June 2, 2017
I bought this case to use as luggage and yes it is over kill I was tired of standard luggage breaking after 1 to 2 uses. To be fair I over pack the luggage and I will explain why I went with the Pelican 1650 case. I bought this to take on a cruise because when we go on a cruise we normally bring back a case of Bacardi because it is so cheap. I can tell you that the Pelican 1650 (with foam removed) will fit a full case of Bacardi 1 liter bottles in the box. If could not be any easier than that I was so happy. Before I would have to wrap each bottle with clothes in may old luggage and then after a few blocks of walking the old luggage wheels would start to fail. Now this thing is heavy at around 38 lbs empty a case of Bacardi and my stuff I was pushing 100 lbs with this. Not something you would want to go on an airline with but a cruise it was perfect. Because it has 4 wheels and they are solid it rolled with ease and there was no wear at all when done. I wish I had done this sooner. Now the other down side to this besides the weight is that being rigid it does not store as easily but it can go anywhere and you do not have to worry about it. This case is like a tank and worked perfectly for my needs and I would buy it again in a heartbeat after this last use. One other negative is on a cruise it is a little big for the cabins on the ship but you can fit it into the small lockers in the room and it does that up lots of the room but manageable.
on January 28, 2016
Bought this to carry my armor and gear into country on deployments. I already know about the quality of Pelican boxes and am hoping this one is big enough to carry my stuff. What I didn't know about was if the foam (especially on the lid) was glued onto the inside and if I was going to end up peeling it off. Luckily ALL the foam in the box just pulls right out until you have a completely empty box - which is what I wanted. Will update when I get down range and see how it fares with travel and being dragged around the rocky streets of Bagram.

19SEP2016
Went through Kuwait, flew on C-17's, dragged through sand and rocks - case was dusty but held up. In Kuwait I had to drop the box from the back of a C-17 ten feet to the tarmac, I thought the weight of the contents would pop the lid, but it didn't. Checked out the box and it was scratched up on one corner but it held with about 60-70 pounds of stuff inside. Wheels didn't break, nothing. Works as a great bench too waiting for busses and vans too!
on October 27, 2011
This was a fantastic investment for our portable church! We had been transporting our projector (EIKI LC-X85) in its original packaging. This had served us well, but it was showing age after a year. This case provided the right amount of space at a great price.

The pick and pluck foam was very simple to work with. I laid out the pattern using toothpicks, and cut along the scores using a serrated knife. This particular case had two layers of foam. The top layer was very easy to work with, but the lower layer was definitely more difficult. It seemed as if the scores were not as deep as they were in the top layer. This may be by design to provide more stability, but it did make cutting more difficult.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone needing a customized fit for his or her expensive and sensitive equipment. Pictures of my finished setup will be posted above shortly.
review image review image review image

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.