Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon counterpart counterpart counterpart  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on February 15, 2014
Excellent book. Shows you and tells you what to do at each step in the pen turning.Barry Gross books are the best.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 24, 2016
Great book. A lot of good information
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 13, 2005
As a newbie to pen turning, I was looking for a book that would give me a step-by-step explanation of how to set up the pen blank for turning on the lathe. I also wanted an explanation of the parts/pieces used in turning a pen such as what a mandrel is and how it is used to turn the pen, what bushing are and what they were used for, what stains and finishes were the best to use and some project ideas.

The book begins by explaining which lathe (in case you don't have one) to buy for they type of project you plan to turn. Lathes can be used for turning other projects than just pens and the author provided that information as well. He continues with which tools and materials are good to work with and he even explains how to "approach" the wood with the tool while it is on the lathe.

He has a section on stains and finishes which I plan to try. I knew about dyes but not which one(s) to try. The author cleaned that up for me for which I am grateful. Then we come to the first project, a Slimline pen. While the photos were very good in showing what was being explained in words, this project didn't explain how the bushings were used or even what they were for. Never having turned a pen, I was lost but I kept reading.

In Project Two, in Step Six, how to place the bushings on the mandrel was finally explained. Yippie, now I can give turning a pen a try because I know how to "load" the mandrel. Maybe putting this explanation in Project One might be a good idea when the book gets a rewrite.

There are nine projects and six material types shown so I shouldn't run out of ideas on what materials to use or what style of pens to turn. He even provides a section on how to market what you turn.

This book was everything I was looking for in a pen turning tutorial book. If you are planning to turn pens, I would definitely recommend this easy to read and easy to understand book.
on February 16, 2006
This book was unbelievably perfect for my pen loving/wood carving husband. While he had purchased several tools and supplies for making pens, this book inspired his creative side. The photos are beautiful, the instructions are clear, and this is the perfect book for those "hard to please" craftsmen on your list.