From the Author
Simply put, I'm offering up nearly ninety percent of my short plays and most of my full length plays (such as this one) to the public free of royalty for theatrical performances, under certain conditions. It's true; you can produce this work, FOR FREE, under the right circumstances. You don't have to pay a royalty or even write to ask my permission, you can simply just produce the play, as long the production meets the following conditions:
1) It's a student or college production of less than 30 performances.
2) It's an independent showcase where no one else gets paid and a run of less than 30 performances.
3) Bottom line, if it's a short run and no one else gets paid, I don't need to get paid. If it's a longer run at a professional theatre and the actors, stage managers and stagehands are getting paid, then I expect to get paid, too.
There are requirements, which are as follows:
1) Any program or publicity that features the title of the produced play must also feature my name as the author. More on that later.
2) Don't rewrite it or change the text. You want to improvise, join an improv group. You want to do my play, then you must do it as it's written (there are some exceptions, which are noted in the individual play notes following each.)
3) Less than 30 performances by the same company in a single calendar year.
And that's it, that's The Joshua James Project.
I'm putting nearly all my work out there for you, the independent theatre artist. You want to produce this play for a few nights at your theatre? Go ahead, with my blessing. If goes well, recommend the book to a friend, that's all I ask.