Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pentax 21977 DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR Lens for Pentax Digital SLR cameras
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

on August 23, 2013
This lens replaces my 18-55mm kit lens for the K10. I find it easy to handle, quiet, and I especially appreciate that it zooms to 135mm. The results are crisp images and excellent color.
I really like this lens.
on August 29, 2014
I never realized how important WR really is until I spent time at Niagara Falls. I did not dare to take my camera out because my WR lenses are 50-135 and 55-300 which are too long when I was walking underneath the fall. I tried the 18-50 WR kit lens but it was not good enough or may be I have a bad copy. After reading several reviews, I was convinced that I should give this lens a try. The price is right and delivery was fast.

The lens is good enough for most situations, but not up to the standard of Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 or fixed such as 50 f/1.4, 35 f/2.4, etc. Having said that, I think I am still the limiting factor and not the lens. With WR, it will open up new opportunities. Knowing its limitations is important to use this lens effectively. The most obvious one is that it is not a fast f/2.8 lens; higher ISO is likely needed. Subject/background isolation is limited. Focus is silent and fast. Build is solid. It should pair well with 55-300 WR. BTW, the 55-300 is optically great especially for the price. Originally, I was planning on buying the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 but the 18-135 / 55-300 combination is more useful.

The only thing I really want to comment is that the lens came in a WHITE BOX with no US warranty. It was not clear to me when I placed that order. There were two other vendors and they both clearly stated either "white box" or bulk packaging. I am taking a chance should it failed.
on May 2, 2011
I bought this lens for use on the K5. My main consideration was its zoom range and its weather resistance. It works well for hand held work in the street which is primarily what I do. And I use this lens most of the time. My other most useful lens is the Pentax 18-250mm but it's not weather proof.

The most obvious problem for me is the noticeable barrel distortion at wide angles. That is why I can only rate this lens at 4 stars. I think, too, that it's overpriced because of the shortcuts they have used in its design and manufacture--shortcuts such as omitting the focus distance scale.

Except as noted above the photo results are satisfactory for my use.
on January 26, 2016
This is a GREAT lens, and does NOT deserve the bad publicity it gets. The SDM motor is quiet, focus is fast, and the sharpness is top notch.

I DO understand that there is a little CA, and pincushion, BUT that is to be expected on ALL superzoom lenses.

This lens is a GOOD lens for the price. I am NOT disappointed in my purchase, and it has replace my Tamron 18-200 and PENTAX 28-200 for a walk around lens.
on October 13, 2014
A really good all-round lens. I've got a high-quality 18-50mm lens from another maker, and my plan was to swap between these two - as my 18-50mm has a better low-light performance etc. However, I've been so happy with the overall performance of this lens so that I have hardly put my old lens on the camera ever since. It's relatively light, and build quality seems good. I've been happily using the lens for over a year with no mechanical or other issues.
on May 5, 2014
Do you like the kit 18-55mm lens? The one that probably shipped with your Pentax camera? If you think the overall image quality of the kit 18-55mm lens (called the DA-L 18-55, or the DA AL, or the DA, WR, all of which share the same optical formula) is good, then you'll probably like this lens. It has the same high quality fit and finish as the kit lens, the same good contrast and color. However, it also suffers in the same two ways that the 18-55 kit lens suffers: Sharpness and Chromatic Aberration (CA).

I really wanted to like this lens. I really did. 18-135mm is a great range of focal lengths for everyday shooting. Weather Resistance is a great feature, and the DC focusing motor seemed like a nice option as well. It is well balanced and everything operates smooth as butter. Unfortunately, it has some major image quality issues which negate these positive features.

I started my quest for the ultimate walkaround lens when I began to see the limits of the kit 18-55 lens. If you go pixel peeping or make any enlargements bigger than about 8x10, you'll notice that it just isn't very sharp. It's quite soft wide open and only improves moderately when you stop down to F/5.6 or so. You'll also notice that it does a lousy job of controlling CA, with pretty bad purple and green fringing in high contrast edges. It was for these reasons that I sold my kit 18-55 and eventually landed on this one, the 18-135. Unfortunately, the 18-135 is pretty much just like the 18-55, just with 80 more mm of focal length! It is soft at all apertures and does a lousy job of controlling CA. If it cost half of what it does, these things might be forgivable, but at the current price I do not feel it is a good value.

Look, if you want an all-in-one lens which looks pretty on your camera, and if most of your shots only end up on the web or in small printouts, and if weather resistance is important to you, then you'll probably love this lens. As I indicated above, it is a nicely built piece of engineering that is a joy to operate. If you're not super concerned about image quality, then you can just leave this lens permanently on your camera and you'll be happy.

If, however, you want image quality which is better than what the kit lens has to offer, then look elsewhere. I have tried many lenses over the past few years. I've settled on a collection of old primes for my K-01 to use for landscaping. On my K-30, I want a general purpose walkaround lens and a good long telephoto. I have tried numerous lenses, some of which have found a permanent place in my bag and some of which I have sent back or re-sold. This one was sent back. There are plenty of other lenses which offer superior image quality - I even had an old 1990s Promaster 28-105 which took better pictures than this, and cost me only a fraction of the price. If Pentax could improve the sharpness and CA problems, this lens would be a fantastic option. I know zoom lenses always have compromises, but if they could re-design the optics a bit and re-release this lens, I'd be happy to buy it again. Like I said, I really wanted to like it.

A note about the DC autofocus... yes it is nice and yes it is quiet. But it is NOT faster than screw drive AF. There are plenty of screw drive AF lenses which will run circles around this one. That said, I still like the DC AF option. It is nearly silent and seems very accurate.

A note about the seller Web Offers - I bought this lens via Amazon from a company called Web Offers. The lens I received was in a plain brown cardboard box, not the official Pentax retail box and packaging. There was also no paperwork or warranty card. I strongly suspect that it was a grey-market lens. As far as I know it is not illegal to sell lenses on the grey market, but it is something you should be aware of, as it can impact the support and warranty. Basically this means that the seller is probably importing the lens right from Pentax in Japan, and not via Pentax/Ricoh here in the US. The problem is that Pentax/Ricoh here in the US is the official company importer, so if you run into warranty or support issues, they may not honor it. Grey market lenses are cheaper, but you have to be aware of this potential problem.
on June 12, 2011
Fast, accurate, silent focusing. Sharp IQ, relatively light-weight for zoom lens. Seems to be well-built. My copy doesn't seem to have noticeable soft corners. IQ in good light close to that of 70mm limited lens. Purchased from amazon as "used-like-new".
on February 4, 2015
Excellent lens. Paired with K3, K5 and earlier Pentax bodies back to 2004 versions and all functions work well. Couldn't detect noticeable distortion, CA or light falloff across all focal lengths. Have used in rain and snow and lens is sealed perfectly. Light weight and fast focusing except in really dark conditions.
on May 8, 2014
I accidentally dropped my Pentax K-50 camera with the stock 18-55mm lens while I was on vacation. The lens broke but the camera was okay. I ordered a new 18-135mm lens as a replacement. The lens I ordered through Web Offers via Amazon was missing the lens hood, even though the included instructions said a lens hood is provided with the lens. I returned that lens due to the missing lens hood and I ordered another lens through Sunset Electronics via Amazon. This one came with the lens hood. This lens is quieter than my old lens and it has excellent image quality and zoom.
on August 2, 2013
I was only using the 18-55 kit lens and wanted an upgrade to fit a small budget. The price was fair and I am enjoying the increased possibilities with my new multi-purpose lens. It is a bit slow (3.5-5.6), but I was aware that I'd have to compromise there for this price.