Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
Pentax K-7 14.6 MP Digital SLR with Shake Reduction and 720p HD Video (Body Only)
|Price:||$729.99 & FREE Shipping|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- High-resolution, 14.6-megapixel CMOS sensor; compact, magnesium alloy body
- Body only; lenses sold separately
- Weather resistant, dustproof, and coldproof (14 degrees F, -10 degrees C)
- Fast 5.2 fps shooting with the new PRIME II Image processing engine; top shutter speed of 1/8000 sec freezes even the fastest action in well-lit settings
- 3-inch LCD; Live View mode, with contrast AF, Face Detection, and optional histogram, grid, and bright/dark area display
- Capture images to SD/SDHC memory cards (not included)
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
|Auto Focus Technology|
|Battery Average Life||980 Photos|
|Continuous Shooting Speed||5.21 fps|
|Display Fixture Type||Fixed|
|Display Resolution Maximum||921,000|
|Display Size||3 inches|
|Effective Still Resolution||14.6 MP|
|Expanded ISO Maximum||3,200|
|Expanded ISO Minimum||100|
|External Memory Included||Yes|
|Flash Memory Type||SD/SDHC/MMC|
|Flash Sync Speed||1/180_sec|
|Flash Type||Built-in Flash, Hot-shoe, Wireless plus sync connector|
|Focus Description||TTL Phase difference|
|Focus Type||automatic with manual|
|Form Factor||Mid-size SLR|
|ISO Range||Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, (6400 with boost)|
|Image Aspect Ratio||3:2|
|Item Dimensions||3.82 x 2.87 x 5.16 inches|
|Item Display Weight||0 pounds|
|Item Weight||1.65 pounds|
|Lithium Battery Energy Content||14 grams|
|Lithium Battery Weight||1.116 ounces|
|Maximum Shutter Speed||1/8000 of a second|
|Maximum horizontal resolution||4,672|
|Metering||Multi, Center-weighted, Spot|
|Minimum Shutter Speed||30 seconds|
|Optical Sensor Resolution||14.6 MP|
|Optical Sensor Technology||CMOS|
|Photo Sensor Technology||CMOS|
|Processor Description||Prime II|
|Remote Control Description||Optional, wired or wireless|
|Removable Memory||Secure Digital card|
|Sensor Cleaning Method||Supersonic vibration|
|Shipping Weight||3.65 pounds|
|Supported Battery Types||Lithium-Ion D-LI90 rechargeable battery & charger|
|Video Capture Format||avi|
|Video Capture Resolution||720p_hd|
|Viewfinder Type||Optical (pentaprism)|
|Water Resistance Level||Not Water Resistant|
|Weather Resistance||Water and dust resistant|
Compare to Similar Items
This item: Pentax K-7 14.6 MP Digital SLR with Shake Reduction and 720p HD Video (Body Only)
Pentax K-3 SLR Camera - Body Only B00FKLQ0LW
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||A&R PHOTO VIDEO INC||Adorama Camera||42nd Street Photo||6ave|
|Sensor Size||aps-c||APS-C (23.5 x 15.6 mm)||aps-c||APS-C (23.7 x 15.7 mm)|
|Max Resolution||14.6||24.4 MP||14.6||16.3 MP|
|Iso Range||Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, (6400 with boost)||Auto, 100 - 51200||Auto, 100 - 3200 in 1EV, 1/2 EV or 1/3 EV stops, ISO 6400 as option||Auto, 100 to 12800, in 1, 1/2, 1/3 EV steps (80 to 51200 Extended)|
|Display Size||3 inches||3.2 inches||2.7 inches||3 inches|
|Continuous Shooting Speed||5.21||7.07||2.75||7|
|Wireless Communication Technology||Information not provided||Optional||None||None|
|Item Weight||1.65 pounds||1.76 pounds||1.76 pounds||1.68 pounds|
Please help us improve this feature. Tell us what you think of this feature.
From the Manufacturer
The Pentax K-7 features a rugged, yet compact new body design, a new 14.6 megapixel CMOS sensor rebuilt from the ground up, and advanced features such as HD Movie Capture and new, unique-to-Pentax camera controls. Compatible with every Pentax lens ever made, the high-end K-7 features an abundance of long-anticipated new and improved features that are exclusive to the camera and combine to make it a tremendous photography tool.
The most significant features of the Pentax K-7 that have never been offered before in any K series digital camera, and in some cases any camera, include:
- A compact, magnesium alloy body that is one of the smallest in the advanced photo enthusiast category to reduce bulk and allow users to travel light while maintaining durability and build quality (seven percent smaller than the K20D and up to 25 percent smaller than other cameras in the same class).
- A new 14.6 megapixel CMOS sensor rebuilt from the ground up to minimize noise, adds four channel output for fast image capture, and the ability to capture HD quality movies. It is the ideal combination of resolution and file size, allowing very large (poster size and larger) prints and cropping flexibility.
- A new 77-segment metering system quickly and accurately determines exposure for even the most complex and dynamic lighting situations.
- HD Movie capture features adjustable quality and resolution settings, aperture control, as well as mechanical Shake Reduction, and an external microphone terminal for recording stereo sound.* The K-7 will capture video at the default standard of 1280x720 resolution with a 16:9 aspect ratio (equivalent to 720p), 1536x1024 resolution with a 3:2 aspect ratio, or 640x416 resolution with a 3:2 aspect ratio (equivalent to VGA quality), all shot at 30 frames per second.
- An HDMI port with selectable output resolution (1080i, 720p, 480p, and auto) offers high resolution playback of images and video on modern high definition TV’s.
- A Dedicated AF-assist lamp further improves autofocus response and accuracy in low light conditions.
- An Electronic Level function ensures that images have truly level horizons to minimize post-capture editing.
- An innovative in-camera Lens Correction function that electronically adjusts for Distortion and Lateral Chromatic Aberrations to maximize image quality with DA series lenses.
- A dedicated Mirror Lock-up function eliminates image blur due to mirror movement during long exposures.
- A High Dynamic Range (HDR) image capture mode captures three images then combines them in camera to widen the exposure gamut to bring out detail in all exposure areas of images.
- A composition adjustment feature in Live View allows minor shifts in the framing and composition of images using the Shake Reduction mechanism without having to physically move the camera. This feature is ideal for tripod use.
- A programmable embedded copyright function preserves artistic integrity and image ownership during capture via a keypad that may record ownership in metatag data.
Pentax K7 Digital SLR Highlights
The K-7 is built exceptionally solid and durable with a chassis made of a highly rigid stainless-steel alloy and a housing made of a durable but lightweight magnesium-steel alloy. Construction includes 77 seals for weather, dust and cold-resistance for reliable operation even under harsh conditions and at temperatures as low as 14°F (-10°C). The camera also features a newly designed shutter unit providing a top shutter speed of 1/8000 second and the outstanding durability to withstand 100,000 shutter releases. Despite all these features, the K-7 is one of the most compact and functional photo enthusiast level models in the market.
High-quality image reproduction
The K-7 incorporates a newly developed CMOS image sensor measuring 23.4mm by 15.6mm and featuring a high-speed, four-channel image data readout. With approximately 14.6 effective megapixels, this image sensor more accurately produces fine-detailed, gradation-rich images. With the adverse effects of digital noise significantly reduced, the sensitivity may be increased from ISO 100 up to the highest level of ISO 6400 (via a custom function).
High-performance, high-speed PRIME II imaging engine
The K-7 features the newly developed PRIME (Pentax Real Image Engine) II, an upgrade of the original PRIME, as its imaging engine. This new imaging engine offers faster data-processing speed for higher quality images with richer gradation and more accurate color rendition. The system also offers high-speed movie data transmission.
The K-7 adds a new movie recording function, extending the benefits of SLR photography to the world of movie shooting: For instance, reduce the depth of field to make the subject stand out, or use different lenses to create distinctive visual effects. Beautiful movie clips can recorded at different sizes--640 x 416 pixels, 1536 x 1024 pixels, or 1280 x 720 pixels (16:9 high-definition TV proportions)--at a frame rate of 30 frames per second. The K-7 is also equipped with an HDMI terminal and an external microphone input terminal for high quality sound to match your videos.
Large, easy-to-view 3.0 inch wide-view LCD monitor with 921,000 dot resolution
The K-7 features a large 3.0 inch color LCD monitor with 921,000 dot resolution. The wide-view design allows the photographer to check the monitor image from approximately 170 degrees both vertically and horizontally, facilitating low and high-angle shooting using the Live View function.
High-speed continuous shooting at approx. 5.2 images per second
The high-speed continuous shooting mode captures as many as 40 images (in JPEG recording format) at a maximum speed of approximately 5.2 images per second, allowing photographers to follow the movement of an active subject or preserve a sequence of the subject’s expressions.
New 77-segment multi-pattern metering
Newly-developed for the K-7, a sophisticated 77-segment multi-pattern metering system greatly improves light-metering accuracy. By accurately analyzing various types of data (such as the image’s composition and format between upright and horizontal, and the subject’s distance and magnification) transmitted from the sensors in the camera body, this system greatly improves the accuracy of exposure control.
Live View image confirmation with Face Recognition AF and high-speed continuous shooting modes
The K-7 features the Live View function, which allows the user to view the image on the LCD monitor during shooting. This function is available not only in the Contrast AF mode, which optimizes the focus based on the subject’s contrast, but also in the Face Recognition AF mode, which automatically and accurately focuses on the subject’s face. A newly developed diaphragm-control mechanism allows the Live View function be used during Continuous Shooting mode with the mirror at lock-up position.
Optical viewfinder provides 100 percent field of view
The K-7 glass prism finder offers 100 percent field of view and an approximately 0.92X magnification to facilitate focusing and framing operations. A new Natural-Bright-Matte III focusing screen improves focusing accuracy during manual-focus operation.
The K-7’s new SAFOX VIII Plus wide-frame autofocus system features 11 sensor points (with nine cross-type sensors positioned in the middle). By adding the light source type to its data range, and driven by a greatly improved algorithm, Pentax improved the AF system assuring reliable, responsive autofocus operation superior in speed and accuracy to the previous system. The K-7 also incorporates an AF-assist spotbeam projector in its built-in flash unit to improve autofocusing accuracy in the dark.
Next-generation Shake Reduction mechanism*
The K-7 features the Pentax-developed SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism, which effectively compensates the adverse effect of camera shake by approximately 2.5 to 4 shutter stops, assuring sharp, blur-free images even under demanding shooting conditions. This innovative mechanism is compatible with all Pentax interchangeable lenses ever produced. This new-generation version allows complete shift freedom, including rotationally, of the image-sensor regardless of the camera’s inclination. The mechanism also provides user-friendly new functions such as Automatic Level Adjustment and Minute Angle Adjustment (up/down, right/left and clockwise/counterclockwise) to help photographers compose images exactly to their specifications.
* Lenses compatible with this mechanism are the Pentax K-, KA-, KAF-, KAF2- and KAF3-mount lenses; screw-mounted lenses (with an adapter); and 645- and 67-system lenses (with an adapter). Some functions may not be available with certain lenses.
New DR II mechanism to minimize dust spots
The K-7 is equipped with a newly developed Dust Removal (DR II) mechanism to more effectively remove dust and minimize spots on recorded images even after changing lenses in dust-prone outdoor settings. Using a piezo-ceramic vibration action, the system shifts or vibrates the low-pass filter located in front of the CMOS image sensor at supersonic speed to remove dust more efficiently. A unique dust-alert system also allows users to check for dust adhering to the low-pass filter prior to actual shooting.
Custom Image function to easily create desired visual effects
The K-7’s Custom Image function lets the user control the image’s finishing touch to capture their photographic intention, or reproduce the ambience of the scene. With the K-7, the user can select one of seven modes, including the new "Muted" mode designed to recreate an image with delicate, subdued colors. In addition to saturation, tone, contrast and sharpness, the function now makes it possible to adjust "key" and "contrast highlight/shadow" to the desired levels. The effects of these factors may be effortlessly confirmed on a preview image using the Digital Preview or Live View function before finalizing the settings.
Versatile exposure system for exceptional reproduction of creative intentions
Hyper Program function
The K-7’s Hyper Program function allows users to instantly switch to the Shutter- or Aperture-Priority AE mode from the Programmed AE mode, with a simple turn of the electronic dials on the grip. To return to the Programmed AE mode, simply press the green button positioned next to the shutter release button.
Hyper Manual function
When shooting in Manual mode, a single push of the green button allows the user to instantly set the proper exposure for the subject.
The K-7 features a unique Sensitivity-Priority (Sv) mode, which is designed to automatically select the optimum combination of aperture and shutter speed for a user-selected sensitivity. The sensitivity can be shifted instantly in 1/2 or 1/3 steps by turning the electronic dial on the back panel.
Taking full advantage of the unique capability of digital cameras permitting automatic shift of sensitivity at any time, the Shutter/Aperture-Priority (TAv) mode automatically selects the most appropriate sensitivity for a user-selected shutter-speed/aperture combination. This allows the user to experiment with a greater range of photographic expressions with great ease.
Powerful rechargeable battery The K-7 is powered by a large-capacity, rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which can capture approximately 980 images* when fully charged.
*Under testing conditions prescribed by Pentax, when using a rechargeable D-LI90 lithium-ion battery with no flash
- HDR (high dynamic range) function to create one composite image with an extra-wide gradation range from three images with different exposures
- Dynamic-range expansion function to compensate for both white-washed (overexposed) and blacked-out (underexposed) areas
- Digital level function for easy checking of the image’s levels
- Automatic compensation of distortion and lateral chromatic aberration (available only with DA- and DFA-series lenses)
- White balance control, featuring a new CTE mode to emphasize the color components of sunset scenes and a new incandescent-tinted fluorescent light mode
- Multi-exposure function, with a superimposition of already-recorded images on the LCD monitor for at-a-glance comparison
- Attachment of copyright credits on recorded images
- RAW button for single-action switching of image file format
- 16 digital filters to add a range of visual effects; a new function to record an overwritten history also available
- Color-specific control buttons/dials for easy recognition and quick access, based on the universal color design
- Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 software package, including a RAW-data processing application (based on the popular
- SILKYPIX RAW-data processing engine developed by Ichikawa Soft Laboratory) and a browser application
Read about our customers' top-rated cameras and lenses on our review pages: Digital SLR Cameras, Lenses
Top Customer Reviews
Rugged, full weather seals. Rain, snow, or dust won't slow it down.
Compact Size with a magnesium alloy shell of stainless steel chassis.
Selection of lenses designed for the APS-C imaging sensor
Shake reduction with every lens
External Mic in video mode
Very quiet shutter
Industry first Composition Adjustment and horizon level (separate features)
Battery life in Live View/Video mode.
Not a beginners camera unless you have a strong desire to learn about photography
High ISO performance could be a bit better
What previous Pentax users will notice:
Refinement, refinement, refinement
Low light autofocus is fast and accurate (inline with the competition now)
AF-Continuous is fast, but not class leading.
Ergonomics different from previous K10d and K20d (maybe good, maybe bad depending on your position)
Insignificant change in image quality from K20d
Can disable long shutter noise reduction for shots 30 seconds or less
Excellent sensor dust removal
Who should buy the K-7? Anyone looking for a prosumer dSLR (Nikon d300, d300s, Canon 50d, etc) that they want to take anywhere. This thing is for serious adventurers, with its full weather sealing and wide array of weather sealed lenses (DA* or WR series lenses). Going on a trip to Alaska? Hiking in the back country? Canoeing down the Colorado? Or even if you just want a smaller dSLR with all the features of the big boys from Canon or Nikon. This camera steps up the competition.
What new to Pentax users should be aware of? The camera makes slight noises when you pick it up or turn it on. The sensor is free to shift in its mount due to the shake reduction system.Read more ›
I couldn't believe that I bought this as I already own the very good Pentax K20D. The K-7 is a better camera. As the current have-to-have feature is video, Pentax included that with this camera. Not being that knowledgeable about video, it seems like it does a good job, though it isn't a quick, push one button action.
But when it comes to still photos, it is superb. It feels good in the hand. It's noticeably smaller than the K20D and a bit lighter but don't make the mistake of thinking that small doesn't mean hefty. This thing is solid. It' build like a tank. I believe that the steel and magnesium body is tough. It sure feels that way.
Pentax has taken a good camera and fixed the little niggling problems that kept the K20D from being great. The slow, low light autofocus is fixed. That's fast and accurate now. The already decent high ISO performance seems to be about a full stop better. The camera now has a dedicated ISO button, too, which is a much appreciated addition.
Other little touches shine, too. The camera handles like a dream. It's well balanced with my not very light lenses. The 4 way controller now has separate buttons, that let you access the functions individually. Excellent. The ISO button and exposure compensation buttons have been moved to the top of the camera where they can be easily found by feel. The review button, also has been moved to the top and doesn't have to be picked out of a cluttered back.Read more ›
Pentax K7 won out in the end. I was willing to change systems, but the K7 is simply superior to everything at and below its price range. Even surpasses the ones that are a few hundred more as well.
I travel a lot and wanted something light and weatherproof. during the P&S days, I ruined 3-4 cameras because of dust and did NOT want that to happen to a more expensive dslr. Pentax came to the rescue and offers a weather sealed body. So I can take photos where there's lots of dust and even in the rain! what other slr camera can you do that with? The Pentax K7 is the only camera within hundreds of dollars that can meet this criteria.
Of course having great image quality and autofocus abilities were critical too. Yeah, the Nikon D90 might have great low iso performance, but it's a toy compared to the Pentax K7. Canons were nice, but they felt like toys... unless you go into the $1500+ range. the tight body of the k7 is a sheer delight.
I got immensely frustrated by Canon and Nikon because I really wanted to switch over... mainly because so many of my friends have their lenses and I could borrow them... but I couldn't do it because Canon and Nikon deliberately trip their cameras so that it doesn't cannibalize their other cameras. Also, they want to make more money by putting in the stabilization within the lens instead of the body. So you have to get a stabilized lens - which is a lot of more money. Pentax ain't nasty like Nikon and Canon. They put their best foot forward instead of little toes like Canon and Nikon with their stripped cameras.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
takes me back to the good old days when camers were built my only concern is getting a great lens for it,Published on April 18, 2014 by Carl
I have owned this camera since Feburary of 2011. The features have been written about extensively so I will write about how it is to use it. Read morePublished on November 21, 2013 by RLC
A great camera to start off with if you are going to learn photography. This would be considered a Pro-sumer product.Published on June 14, 2013 by A fun and relaxing game.
I've always used Pentax slr's (digital and 35 mm) and this does not disappoint. I wish it had 60fps, but you win some and you lose some!Published on June 12, 2013 by Christopher I Nelson
I bought a K-7 for my wife more than a year ago. At first it work okay. Then it began to develop a long delay between when the shutter would open and when it would close. Read morePublished on June 3, 2013 by edward
I like this camera so far. It is big improvement over the k10''s I have been using for a long time. Buttons are easy to access and use and I feel like I can adjust the settings... Read morePublished on April 13, 2013 by Jean from TEXAS
In the short time that i have had it ,its been a great upgrade from the FS-1 that i had , also all my lenses fit. Read morePublished on December 28, 2012 by Uwe Behrendt