Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "Pentax K-r 12.4 MP Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inc..." and save 64% off the $749.95 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
Pentax K-r 12.4 MP Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens (Red)
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 12.4-megapixel CMOS sensor; compact, lightweight body
- Kit includes 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens
- Widescreen 720p HD video at 25fps; powerful automatic shooting modes including Pentax Auto Picture
- 3-inch LCD with 921,000 dots of resolution; wide range of in-camera image processing and special effects filters
- Capture images and video to SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards (not included)
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Customers also shopped for
Special offers and product promotions
|Auto Focus Technology|
|Battery Average Life||470 Photos|
|Continuous Shooting Speed||5.62 fps|
|Display Fixture Type||Fixed|
|Display Resolution Maximum||921,000|
|Display Size||3 inches|
|Effective Still Resolution||12.4 MP|
|Expanded ISO Maximum||12,800|
|Expanded ISO Minimum||200|
|External Memory Included||No|
|Flash Memory Type||SD/SDHC|
|Flash Type||Built-in Flash, Hot-shoe, Wireless|
|Focus Description||TTL Phase Detection SAFOX IX|
|Focus Type||automatic with manual|
|Form Factor||Compact SLR|
|ISO Range||Auto, 200 to 12800 in 1, 1/2, or 1/3 EV steps (100 to 25600 extended)|
|Image Aspect Ratio||3:2|
|Item Dimensions||3.82 x 2.68 x 4.92 inches|
|Item Display Weight||3.7 pounds|
|Item Weight||1.32 pounds|
|Lithium Battery Weight||4 ounces|
|Maximum Focal Length||55 mm|
|Maximum Shutter Speed||1/6000 of a second|
|Maximum horizontal resolution||4,288|
|Metering||Multi, Center-weighted, Spot|
|Minimum Focal Length||18 mm|
|Minimum Shutter Speed||30 seconds|
|Optical Sensor Resolution||12.4 MP|
|Optical Sensor Technology||CMOS|
|Photo Sensor Technology||CMOS|
|Processor Description||Prime II|
|Remote Control Description||Optional IR|
|Removable Memory||Secure Digital card|
|Sensor Cleaning Method||Supersonic vibration|
|Shipping Weight||3.7 pounds|
|Supported Battery Types||Lithium-Ion D-LI109 rechargeable battery & charger or optional AA with adapter|
|Video Capture Format||avi|
|Video Capture Resolution||720p_hd|
|Viewfinder Type||Optical (pentamirror)|
|Water Resistance Level||Not Water Resistant|
Brains, meet beauty. The Pentax K-r has it all. On the brain side, it's a powerful DSLR with advanced features like 12.4 Megapixels, HD video, a 2.7-inch LCD display and custom modes and functions. On the beauty side, taking photos has never looked this good. There's basic black of course. But the K-r also comes in classy white and PENTAX red, with even more body colors to come. The PENTAX K-r competes with higher-end DSLRs and looks great doing it. Now, that’s brilliantly colorful.
From the Manufacturer
The compact, lightweight Pentax K-r is easy to use with Auto Picture, Scene, and Custom Image Processing modes that take the guesswork out of shooting stunning images while still offering a high degree of manual and priority control. The K-r offers a variety of new and improved features including a fast framerate, high ISO sensitivity, responsive autofocus, an improved 12.4-megapixel low-noise sensor and widescreen HD video capture that take it a step above an entry-level DSLR camera.
Key features of the Pentax K-r that are new or have been improved upon from the most recent entry to mid-level Pentax DSLR models include:
- Large 3-inch LCD with 921,000 dots of resolution
- Faster high speed 6 FPS framerate that captures 25 images in a single sequence
- A maximum 1/6000 second shutter speed
- Viewfinder focus point indicator
- Improved in-camera HDR image capture including a Night Scene HDR mode
- High sensitivity 100-25600 ISO range with improved noise performance from the new 12.4 megapixel CMOS sensor
- Versatile dual-power-source design, which offers the choice of either a rechargeable lithium-ion battery or four AA-size battery power (using optional AA Battery Holder D-BH109)
- Infrared data transfer compatible with the IrSimple high-speed infrared data transmission system for wireless data transfer to the web or other IrSimple-compatible devices (includes a match-game between two Pentax K-r's).
With a highly portable, compact and lightweight body in a choice of colors, the K-r holds appeal for busy parents, family memory-keepers, travelers and anyone who reflects personal style in all their pursuits including their journey into photography or videography as a skill or hobby.
Pentax K-r Highlights
High-quality, true-to-life image reproduction
The K-r incorporates a new generation CMOS image sensor with 12 megapixels and the high-performance PRIME (Pentax Real Image Engine) II imaging engine for accurate and high-speed data processing equal to that of upper-level Pentax digital SLR models for high-quality images. The camera also offers a wide sensitivity range between ISO 200 and ISO 12800 that may be expanded from ISO 100 to ISO 25600 via a custom function.
Compact, lightweight body
Even with the 23.6mm x 15.8mm image sensor, the K-r features a compact, lightweight, stainless-steel chassis with in-body Shake Reduction in a space-efficient design.
High-speed continuous shooting at approximately six images per second
The K-r's high-speed continuous shooting mode records as many as 25 images (in JPEG recording format) in a single sequence at a maximum speed of approximately six images per second (fastest of all entry-class models) for sharp, crisp images of fast-moving subjects.
High-precision AF system
The K-r's high-precision, wide-frame SAFOX IX autofocus system features 11 sensor points (with nine cross-type sensors positioned in the middle) for pinpoint focus on the subject. The K-r is also equipped with a spotbeam projector to assist the AF system in poorly lit locations. Accuracy and speed of contrast AF operation during Live View shooting is enhanced with a new-generation image sensor and drastic upgrading of AF algorithms.
Bright, clear optical viewfinder
The Pentax-original finder optics and the renowned Natural-Bright-Matte focusing screen ensure the K-r's viewfinder offers a bright, clear subject image at 0.85X magnification and with a 96% field of view. The viewfinder offers excellent visibility even in bright outdoor locations and provides delay-free, real-time display of the subject's image. This is helpful when shutter release timing is critical such as in sports photography. The in-focus point is indicated as a red point in the viewfinder for at-a-glance confirmation.
Large, easy-to-view 3-inch LCD monitor with wide-view design
The K-r features a large, high-resolution color LCD monitor with approximately 921,000 dots and its wide-view design assures a clear view of the monitor image from approximately 170 degrees horizontally and vertically, making it particularly useful in low- and high-angle applications during Live View shooting.
Versatile dual-power-source design
In addition to the rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which allows the photographer to capture approximately 560 images with a single recharge,* the K-r can also be powered by four AA-size batteries using optional AA Battery Holder D-BH109.
* Based on the Pentax in-house testing conditions conforming to the CIPA standards, using a rechargeable D-LI109 Lithium-Ion Battery.
Pentax-original Shake Reduction mechanism for sharp, blur-free images
The K-r features the Pentax-developed SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism, which effectively compensates the adverse effect of camera shake by up to approximately four shutter steps. This innovative mechanism extends its benefits to almost all Pentax interchangeable lenses--even those designed for film-format cameras.* The K-r produces sharp, blur-free images even under demanding conditions prone to camera shake, such as when using a telephoto lens, shooting in the dark without flash illumination, and shooting sunsets.
* Lenses compatible with this mechanism: Pentax K-, KA-, KAF-, KAF2- and KAF3-mount lenses; screw-mounted lenses (with an adapter); and 645- and 67-system lenses (with an adapter). Some functions may not be available with certain lenses.
Innovative image-processing functions to produce distinctive photographic expressions
(1) Custom Image function for distinctive finishing touches The K-r features the Custom Image function to allow users to select a desired finishing touch for a particular image with a choice of nine custom image modes including Bleach Bypass, which is designed to create a dramatic visual effect used in motion pictures.
(2) Versatile Digital Filter function The K-r's Digital Filter function allows users to process recorded images in a variety of creative ways and produce highly creative visual expressions--without a computer. Users may choose from 18 filters, including a new Starburst, Sketch and Posterization and may now apply filter upon filter, one after another, to an image for more creative results.
(3) Cross Process mode with three options The K-r features the unique Cross Process mode that automatically shifts photographic parameters for each exposure to create eye-catching images with dramatic colors (as with photographs treated with the cross process* in film photography). In addition to "Random", where the results are unpredictable until the image has been processed, users now have two new options: "Preset" with three different sets of preset parameters; and "Favorite" with user-input parameters.
*A film development technique that uses unconventional film development to create a distinctive finish with dramatic, stylized colors.
(4) Improved High Dynamic Range function The K-r features the High Dynamic Range function to create one composite image with an extra-wide gradation range from three images with different exposures without a computer. Users may choose from Auto, Standard and Expanded (at three levels) modes to accommodate different creative intentions.
Auto Align function
Allows use even with handheld shooting.
High-speed infrared data transmission system
The K-r is the first Pentax digital SLR camera equipped with the IrSimple high-speed infrared data transmission system, which allows users to transfer image data to IrSimple-compatible digital devices and post their K-r images on the web via a cellular phone. This also allows users to exchange image data between two K-r cameras and play a simple match game using image Exif data (such as aperture or shutter-speed values) to judge images and offer techniques and suggestions for better images.
High-quality, HDTV-proportion movie recording at 1280 x 720 pixels and at 25 frames per second
The K-r provides a movie-recording function,* which captures beautiful, true-to-life movie clips in 16:9 high-definition TV proportions (1280 x 720 pixels) at a frame rate of 25 frames per second. This extends many benefits of high-quality SLR photography to the world of movie shooting: For example, users may reduce the depth of field to make a subject stand out, or use different interchangeable lenses to create distinctive visual effects. The K-r also assures a greater possibility of visual presentation in movies--either through the application of digital filters, such as Toy Camera and Retro, to add specific visual effects during shooting, or through the use of various movie-editing functions after shooting.
*When the Pentax K-r's AV output terminal is used, movie clips are output at normal resolution. The data must be transferred to a PC for the playback of movie clips at high-definition TV proportions (1280 x 720 pixels).
- User-friendly layout of essential control buttons and levers, all positioned on the camera's grip side for quick, effortless access by the photographer's right hand.
- Auto Picture mode, for effortless, automatic selection of the most appropriate shooting mode, even during Live View shooting.
- Versatile white balance control, featuring a new CTE mode designed to emphasize the dominant color components of the captured images which works best with scenes such as sunset.
- Automatic compensation of distortion and lateral chromatic aberration (available only with DA-,DFA- and FA Limited-series lenses).
- Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 software package, with RAW-data processing and browser applications.
Top customer reviews
I am still learning the menu systems but they are pretty smooth so far. If you mess up your settings, there is a reset function that will reset all of your settings back to factory, and the auto setting always works. It seems to write to the disk pretty fast too. It also does HDR shooting. I am still playing with this so I can't speak to the quality of those images yet.
I am very happy with this camera, and I will be sticking with Pentax!!
1) Pentax has never changed the diameter of the lens mount. Thus any Pentax lens made, will fit any Pentax camera, no adapter required.
2) Pentax puts the anti-shake in the body. Thus, all your lenses benefit from anti-shake. Canon & Nikon continue to hmm and haww about doing the same. Instead, they put anti-shake in the lens, which is one reason Canon & Nikon lens continue to be pricey. I hear Canon is coming around to Pentax's way of thinking
3) Pentax anti-dust technology is some of the best. Additionally, they have more points of water resistance on their cameras compared to the others.
You can get this camera in the US in red, black or white. Yet, you can order it from Europe in Chocolate brown, yellow, blue, lavender & pink too. The cost to ship from Europe is really no different than US rates. You can also go to the Japan site and pick from approximately 50 other colors, or mis-match colored parts; if you are in desire of a really eye catching camera as seen here on YouTube [...]
If you order from Japan, takes about 6 weeks to have them made up. Personally, I love the red, get lots of "wow" from passersby and they can't believe it's a Pentax. The yellow is also pretty cool.
This camera has operated great from day one. Any beginning DSLR user will easily adapt to the camera and the menu is easy to use. It comes with the standard 18mm - 55 mm lens, but remember, any previous Pentax lens will snap right on. If you have an older, or find one at a garage sale, pentax lens, say 1960s, and it's say 100mm lens, it will snap right on this body, and it will double it's focal length to 200mm due to the Digital body.
It's very light weight. Here's the kicker. While in Hawaii (my 1st trip), both sides of my strap just came right off. To this day, cannot figure out how that happened. The camera went crashing to the parking lot from around my neck. NOT A BIT OF DAMAGE!!!! It worked perfectly, with a very small 1/8" nick on the bottom. I was rather stunned by it all.
The K-r is primarily made using an alloy body which is expertly encased in high impact glossy plastic. The hand grip is just that. It has a very natural shape for my hand, which is medium sized, and I can wave the camera around all I want without worrying I'll lose my grip. As others have mentioned, Pentax has retained the K mount which is backwards compatible with just about any lens that Pentax or Asahi have produced for Pentax cameras over the years. Another great feature is the fact that every time you buy new lenses you don't have to pay for the image stabilization like you do for Canon and Nikon since Pentax has built it into the camera body.
I would recommend from the outset that you get the camera with the kit lens, if you are just getting into DSLRs or returning as I did. The kit 16-55mm is not the best, but it is more than sufficient in clarity and ease of use to get familiar with this kind of photography. Once you've become comfortable with the camera and all the features it provides, then you can move on to better lenses and filters. Do not waste your money on a weatherproofed lens as the K-r is NOT weatherproofed. That means you have to be careful about using it in wet or rainy environments, but that is a small price to pay to have such a nice camera at this price point. By the way, the Canon and Nikon entry cameras are also not weatherproofed. If you plan to photograph outdoors in the rainy NorthWest, you might want to consider the Pentax K-30 Weather-Sealed 16 MP CMOS Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens (Blue).
I would also recommend you obtain at least one extra NiMh battery for backup. I was able to take as many as 300 photos in Raw mode on a recent outing without having to swap batteries, but a backup is always a good idea.
Since there is no cable shutter release option, I would recommend buying the cheaper Pentax remote Pentax Remote Control F for Pentax Digital Cameras or the use of a good tripod and becoming familiar with the shutter timer and drive options.
I would also recommend you purchase a good camera case with room to spare for the additional lenses you will probably purchase. One shoulder pack I recommend is the Case Logic DCB-309 SLR Camera Backpack (Black) or, if budget is an issue, the Case Logic SLRC-201 SLR Zoom Holster (Black). The Lowe Pro stuff is good, but overpriced, I think.
All in all, the 6 frames per second shooting speed in continuous mode, the lightweight yet sturdy construction, realistic color capture, the extremely adjustable time lapse option, the "in-focus" shooting feature (to capture something that just happens to come by when you aren't around), the "Live View" display, the decent viewfinder and high res LCD display panel, not to mention the easy to navigate menus, all work to make this a gem of a camera for an entry level DSLR.
I don't use or care that much about the movie taking ability, but it is better than many P&S cameras. Of course there are limitations: you cannot autofocus while shooting a movie and the sound is monaural.
Would I buy this again? Absolutely! I looked at the Nikon D3100 and the Canon EOA Rebel T3i before purchasing the Pentax (sight unseen) primarily because of other recommendations and the plasticky feel of both of the other cameras and the heft of the Nikon. I didn't care for the new Sony NEX-5 compact DSLR hybrid or any of the super zoom choices out there. Too many compromises for the sake of portability.
Good luck with your decision and remember that taking photos involves practice. A lot of it!
Most recent customer reviews
SO FAR THIS CAMERA HAS EXCEEDED MY EXPECTATIONS
Pros on the upgrade:
1) K-r has 12.Read more