Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "Pentax K-r 12.4 MP Digital SLR Camera with 3-Inch ..." and save 76% off the $699.95 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
Pentax K-r 12.4 MP Digital SLR Camera with 3-Inch LCD (Black Body)
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 12.4-megapixel CMOS sensor; compact, lightweight body
- Body only; lenses sold separately
- Widescreen 720p HD video at 25fps; powerful automatic shooting modes including Pentax Auto Picture
- 3-inch LCD with 921,000 dots of resolution; wide range of in-camera image processing and special effects filters
- Capture images and video to SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards (not included)
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Special Offers and Product Promotions
|Auto Focus Technology|
|Battery Average Life||470 Photos|
|Continuous Shooting Speed||5.62 fps|
|Display Fixture Type||Fixed|
|Display Resolution Maximum||921,000|
|Display Size||3 inches|
|Expanded ISO Maximum||12,800|
|Expanded ISO Minimum||200|
|External Memory Included||No|
|Flash Memory Type||SD/SDHC|
|Flash Type||Built-in Flash, Hot-shoe, Wireless|
|Focus Description||TTL Phase Detection SAFOX IX|
|Focus Type||automatic with manual|
|Form Factor||Compact SLR|
|ISO Range||Auto, 200 to 12800 in 1, 1/2, or 1/3 EV steps (100 to 25600 extended)|
|Image Aspect Ratio||3:2|
|Item Dimensions||3.82 x 2.68 x 4.92 inches|
|Item Display Weight||2.9 pounds|
|Item Weight||1.32 pounds|
|Maximum Shutter Speed||1/6000 of a second|
|Maximum horizontal resolution||4,288|
|Metering||Multi, Center-weighted, Spot|
|Minimum Shutter Speed||30 seconds|
|Optical Sensor Resolution||12.4 MP|
|Optical Sensor Technology||cmos|
|Photo Sensor Technology||CMOS|
|Processor Description||Prime II|
|Remote Control Description||Optional IR|
|Sensor Cleaning Method||Supersonic vibration|
|Shipping Weight||2.9 pounds|
|Supported Battery Types||Lithium-Ion D-LI109 rechargeable battery & charger or optional AA with adapter|
|Video Capture Format||avi|
|Video Capture Resolution||720p_hd|
|Viewfinder Type||Optical (pentamirror)|
|Water Resistance Level||Not Water Resistant|
From the Manufacturer
The compact, lightweight Pentax K-r is easy to use with Auto Picture, Scene, and Custom Image Processing modes that take the guesswork out of shooting stunning images while still offering a high degree of manual and priority control. The K-r offers a variety of new and improved features including a fast framerate, high ISO sensitivity, responsive autofocus, an improved 12.4-megapixel low-noise sensor and widescreen HD video capture that take it a step above an entry-level DSLR camera.
Key features of the Pentax K-r that are new or have been improved upon from the most recent entry to mid-level Pentax DSLR models include:
- Large 3 inch LCD with 921,000 dots of resolution
- Faster high speed 6 FPS framerate that captures 25 images in a single sequence
- A maximum 1/6000 second shutter speed
- Viewfinder focus point indicator
- Improved in-camera HDR image capture including a Night Scene HDR mode
- High sensitivity 100-25600 ISO range with improved noise performance from the new 12.4 megapixel CMOS sensor
- Versatile dual-power-source design, which offers the choice of either a rechargeable lithium-ion battery or four AA-size battery power (using optional AA Battery Holder D-BH109)
- Infrared data transfer compatible with the IrSimple high-speed infrared data transmission system for wireless data transfer to the web or other IrSimple-compatible devices (includes a match-game between two Pentax K-r's).
With a highly portable, compact and lightweight body in a choice of colors, the K-r holds appeal for busy parents, family memory-keepers, travelers and anyone who reflects personal style in all their pursuits including their journey into photography or videography as a skill or hobby.
Pentax K-r Highlights
High-quality, true-to-life image reproduction
The K-r incorporates a new generation CMOS image sensor with 12 megapixels and the high-performance PRIME (Pentax Real Image Engine) II imaging engine for accurate and high-speed data processing equal to that of upper-level Pentax digital SLR models for high-quality images. The camera also offers a wide sensitivity range between ISO 200 and ISO 12800 that may be expanded from ISO 100 to ISO 25600 via a custom function.
Compact, lightweight body
Even with the 23.6mm x 15.8mm image sensor, the K-r features a compact, lightweight, stainless-steel chassis with in-body Shake Reduction in a space-efficient design.
High-speed continuous shooting at approximately six images per second
The K-r's high-speed continuous shooting mode records as many as 25 images (in JPEG recording format) in a single sequence at a maximum speed of approximately six images per second (fastest of all entry-class models) for sharp, crisp images of fast-moving subjects.
High-precision AF system
The K-r's high-precision, wide-frame SAFOX IX autofocus system features 11 sensor points (with nine cross-type sensors positioned in the middle) for pinpoint focus on the subject. The K-r is also equipped with a spotbeam projector to assist the AF system in poorly lit locations. Accuracy and speed of contrast AF operation during Live View shooting is enhanced with a new-generation image sensor and drastic upgrading of AF algorithms.
Bright, clear optical viewfinder
The Pentax-original finder optics and the renowned Natural-Bright-Matte focusing screen ensure the K-r's viewfinder offers a bright, clear subject image at 0.85X magnification and with a 96% field of view. The viewfinder offers excellent visibility even in bright outdoor locations and provides delay-free, real-time display of the subject's image. This is helpful when shutter release timing is critical such as in sports photography. The in-focus point is indicated as a red point in the viewfinder for at-a-glance confirmation.
Large, easy-to-view 3-inch LCD monitor with wide-view design
The K-r features a large, high-resolution color LCD monitor with approximately 921,000 dots and its wide-view design assures a clear view of the monitor image from approximately 170 degrees horizontally and vertically, making it particularly useful in low- and high-angle applications during Live View shooting.
Versatile dual-power-source design
In addition to the rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which allows the photographer to capture approximately 560 images with a single recharge,* the K-r can also be powered by four AA-size batteries using optional AA Battery Holder D-BH109.
* Based on the Pentax in-house testing conditions conforming to the CIPA standards, using a rechargeable D-LI109 Lithium-Ion Battery.
Pentax-original Shake Reduction mechanism for sharp, blur-free images
The K-r features the Pentax-developed SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism, which effectively compensates the adverse effect of camera shake by up to approximately four shutter steps. This innovative mechanism extends its benefits to almost all Pentax interchangeable lenses--even those designed for film-format cameras.* The K-r produces sharp, blur-free images even under demanding conditions prone to camera shake, such as when using a telephoto lens, shooting in the dark without flash illumination, and shooting sunsets.
* Lenses compatible with this mechanism: Pentax K-, KA-, KAF-, KAF2- and KAF3-mount lenses; screw-mounted lenses (with an adapter); and 645- and 67-system lenses (with an adapter). Some functions may not be available with certain lenses.
Innovative image-processing functions to produce distinctive photographic expressions
(1) Custom Image function for distinctive finishing touches The K-r features the Custom Image function to allow users to select a desired finishing touch for a particular image with a choice of nine custom image modes including Bleach Bypass, which is designed to create a dramatic visual effect used in motion pictures.
(2) Versatile Digital Filter function The K-r's Digital Filter function allows users to process recorded images in a variety of creative ways and produce highly creative visual expressions--without a computer. Users may choose from 18 filters, including a new Starburst, Sketch and Posterization and may now apply filter upon filter, one after another, to an image for more creative results.
(3) Cross Process mode with three options The K-r features the unique Cross Process mode that automatically shifts photographic parameters for each exposure to create eye-catching images with dramatic colors (as with photographs treated with the cross process* in film photography). In addition to "Random", where the results are unpredictable until the image has been processed, users now have two new options: "Preset" with three different sets of preset parameters; and "Favorite" with user-input parameters.
*A film development technique that uses unconventional film development to create a distinctive finish with dramatic, stylized colors.
(4) Improved High Dynamic Range function The K-r features the High Dynamic Range function to create one composite image with an extra-wide gradation range from three images with different exposures without a computer. Users may choose from Auto, Standard and Expanded (at three levels) modes to accommodate different creative intentions.
Auto Align function
Allows use even with handheld shooting.
High-speed infrared data transmission system
The K-r is the first Pentax digital SLR camera equipped with the IrSimple high-speed infrared data transmission system, which allows users to transfer image data to IrSimple-compatible digital devices and post their K-r images on the web via a cellular phone. This also allows users to exchange image data between two K-r cameras and play a simple match game using image Exif data (such as aperture or shutter-speed values) to judge images and offer techniques and suggestions for better images.
High-quality, HDTV-proportion movie recording at 1280 x 720 pixels and at 25 frames per second
The K-r provides a movie-recording function,* which captures beautiful, true-to-life movie clips in 16:9 high-definition TV proportions (1280 x 720 pixels) at a frame rate of 25 frames per second. This extends many benefits of high-quality SLR photography to the world of movie shooting: For example, users may reduce the depth of field to make a subject stand out, or use different interchangeable lenses to create distinctive visual effects. The K-r also assures a greater possibility of visual presentation in movies--either through the application of digital filters, such as Toy Camera and Retro, to add specific visual effects during shooting, or through the use of various movie-editing functions after shooting.
*When the Pentax K-r's AV output terminal is used, movie clips are output at normal resolution. The data must be transferred to a PC for the playback of movie clips at high-definition TV proportions (1280 x 720 pixels).
- User-friendly layout of essential control buttons and levers, all positioned on the camera's grip side for quick, effortless access by the photographer's right hand.
- Auto Picture mode, for effortless, automatic selection of the most appropriate shooting mode, even during Live View shooting.
- Versatile white balance control, featuring a new CTE mode designed to emphasize the dominant color components of the captured images which works best with scenes such as sunset.
- Automatic compensation of distortion and lateral chromatic aberration (available only with DA-,DFA- and FA Limited-series lenses).
- Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 software package, with RAW-data processing and browser applications.
Read about our customers' top-rated cameras and lenses on our review pages: Digital SLR Cameras, Lenses
Top Customer Reviews
The most obvious improvements are the great new features. The K-r now has a dedicated focus assist lamp. In short, it's unintrusive compared to a strobing popup flash and it works great. I can't believe it took Pentax this long to give us this feature.
The K-r also supports both a proprietary lithium ion battery and AA batteries. You'll have to find a special adapter to use AA batteries though. Unfortunately, Pentax didn't bundle the adapter with the body.
K-x users will also be familiar with the in-camera HDR feature. The K-r includes several HDR settings including auto, standard, strong 1, strong 2, and strong 3. HDR mode is easily accessed by pressing the Info button.
Movie mode is available once again, but it's still not particularly robust. You can shoot in 720p at 25fps, which is an odd frame rate. AF isn't available while you're shooting, but I've found that manual focusing is easy enough with the right lens. I didn't have any problems with my FA 35mm.
Auto white-balancing is greatly improved over the K100D and the K2000 also. You can now shoot in tungsten light without having to manually set the WB. No more horribly yellow photos indoors followed by extremely blue photos outdoors when you forget to white balance again!
Finally, my favorite new feature is the selectable 11-point AF. When it's enabled, you can press the OK button to bring up the point selection interface and use the arrow keys to select your focus point.Read more ›
First, the LCD display is good, really good. A huge upgrade from the one on the Pentax K-2000. With this screen it is easy to verify the right focus, love it.
The camera is very fast. Fast at focusing, talking the pictures and fast going through the menus. Now, activate some of the special features like filters or lens distortion correction and things slow down. I think it is a fair exchange.
The camera brings a new battery that last a LONG time. In theory you could use AA batteries but you need a $35.00 adapter that the camera did not bring. I'm not going to spend $35 for an adapter, I would rather pay for another battery for that money. Pentax dropped the ball on this one.
The visible focus points make a BIG difference. I had defaulted the K-2000 to center only focusing to avoid problems. I had been doing this for so long that I didn't realize how useful it would be to have an 11 point focus system. This is a big improvement.
Live view is a LOT faster than the reviews give it credit for. I had NO PROBLEMS telling people to pose and using the face recognition in live view to take the picture. Once you focus it does a zoom in on the focus point for a second. I like the feature as it lets me verify focus.
The biggest surprise was the low light capabilities of the camera. I can shoot at ISO 1600 without having to worry about noise. Even if I shoot RAW there is not much noise to talk about at ISO 1600. ISO 3200 is still very usable and with some Photoshop using Raw files they are easy to make usable for 8 X 11 pictures. The K-R is a HUGE improvement from the K-2000 in this area.Read more ›
I let my Pentax K20D go to my son to get more pics of the grandkids out of him, leaving me without a Pentax body. I already own a couple of Pentax digital lenses, and I thought that a compact DSLR was preferable to holding a miniature camera out like a baby with a dirty diaper to compose, or dealing with one of several miserable electronic viewfinders.
The K-r has a bigger, clearer LCD screen than the K20D, image quality is noticeably better in the shadows than the K20D, and the penta-mirror optical viewfinder competes well with its CaNikon peers (at this price level). The ergonomics fit me fine, and the interface is very simple. In fact, I am familiar with Canon and Nikon SLR's and I find the Pentax interface to be straightforward and well thought-out. LiveView is very smooth in use, and is a great help in focusing a manual-focus lens, such as for macro use.
Unlike my Canon 5D2, proper exposure reads in the middle, without any under- or overexposure that I can see. If colors look too cartoonish for you, simply select the Natural jpg mode. As other reviewers say, there IS a tendency to blow out strong highlights. If the picture is that important to you, shoot RAW and be extra careful. Setting minus Exposure Compensation and processing for the highlights (Adobe Camera RAW) should not cause noisy shadows with the K-r. Set the K-r to shoot your RAWs in the DNG format, and do your processing in ACR. In my testing, hot spots in the scene, such as a sunlit white wall, really do show up hot. You must adjust for that with ANY camera.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Bought this a while ago and forgot to review it. Besides Amazon shipping this to me broken and having to get it fixed the camera works great. Read morePublished on March 14, 2013 by L. Rice
I bought this camera body to replace a film Pentax. I'm using lenses I had for the other camera. All work with the Kr, although one will not focus automatically. Read morePublished on December 17, 2012 by Barbara F.
The battery runs down much faster than other cameras, the shutter button sticks, and the continuous focus can't be turned off so it constantly is trying to focus on somethingPublished on October 10, 2012 by Jimmy
I didn't know what I was getting into. Had to buy a lens, strap, battery adapter, lithium battery pack, battery charger, USB cable, and case. Read morePublished on July 14, 2012 by Randy Smith
Ordered this camera from Emmy Photo. The original camera that I was sent had the light meter calibration off by more than 2 stops. Read morePublished on June 9, 2012 by John149823
From the factory, the K-r front focusing was really bad (tested 3 lens: 18-55mm f3.5-5.6, 28-90mm f3.5-5.6, and 35mm f2.4). I had to AF Fine Adjust to -10. Read morePublished on May 27, 2012 by Dong Nguyen
I was in the market for my first "real" digital SLR, and after doing a lot of research settled on the Pentax K-r. Read morePublished on May 12, 2012 by John Babits
Bought this because of the price, along with knowing that my used *ist D bodies wouldn't last forever. Read morePublished on January 14, 2012 by HR
This was purchased as a birthday present. The recipient was thrilled with it. He has existing pentex lenses which to use with this body.Published on November 20, 2011 by D. A. Grabowski