Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on June 18, 2012
I was looking for a camera that i could take kayaking and was tuff. I was not going to baby it. This is a camera that i clip to my belt loop gets beat up and gets wet. It's a no muss, no fuss camera. I travel and wanted a camera that can tag where the pictures are being taken. It will be interesting traverseing the different hemispheres to see if the tagging is still accurate. I also wanted a camera that could manually turn the flash on or turn the flash off and would fit in my pocket. This is the camera. You can also manually turn the digital zoom on and off - those are some nice features. I also like the feature that will tell you where to aim it for those of us who like to do self portraits with our friends. I will say that you burn through the battery while on GPS - that is the only downside to the GPS feature. Buy an extra battery. The only other feature i dont like is that when you swap batteries, you loose stuff like the time and date. I wish it had an extra CMOS battery to retain all the settings. It does all the standard stuff and has cool some photo editing features built in. I have not used the movie/video yet but will. It should be interesting to see how much space it uses on the card.

All in all, an exellent camera for the cash.
on May 21, 2012
This Optio is a throwback to the original Pentax WP Optio that I purchased in 2005. I have been searching for something like it for years. It has a FLAT COVERED lens that does not move outside the camera body. My original concern was dust and dirt, I could put this in my pocket or hornbag and not worry about it. When I saw that it was considered waterproof, I felt that it had to be very tightly sealed. It was. Pentax's later Optio models had a lens that would protrude - not good for what I needed. I ended up buying a couple of used original WPs since I didn't like the newer models. The only problem I had was lens scratches. But these cameras were worked HARD, in dirty, gritty, windy places. Not to mention dropped a few times.

When I saw the new WG -2 and saw that lens, I knew that I had to have it! I threw caution to the wind and purchased the GPS model. If I wasn't in landlocked Montana, I might be able to tell you about its waterproof capabilities. So far I have used it in a bit of rain and on a few cold and snowy days. I have had problems with other cameras "locking up", or refusing to focus on very cold days. Not these babies! They don't seem to mind the cold.

The only thing I don't like is that it is considerably larger than the original. It will not fit in my jeans pocket. I guess that I'll get over it.
22 comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 10, 2013
I have been using this camera for several days. First let me say that my order of the camera, case and memory card arrived quickly with excellent packaging. I have mixed feelings about this camera. I am a camera buff and have way more digital cameras than one person needs. I purchased this particular camera because of its GPS capability, size, micro focus capability & ruggedness. I am pleased with these points as I use the camera. The GPS does have a drain on the battery but I expected than since I have two other GPS enabled cameras. If you have the GPS turned on from the menu and the camera turned off, the GPS still draws current since it checks the satellites periodically for position. This is good and not so good. Its great in that the camera quickly locks on the satellites when the camera is turned on. I like this and am willing to forgo some battery drain for this quick location response when I want geolocation information. If one doesn't need location then just turn the GPS off from the menu. Its a simple matter to turn it off and on. The outdoor photography is very good and there are a number of modes available for shooting pictures. I have taken a few micro pictures and that works out nicely. I haven't dropped the camera yet or dumped it in water so I cant attest at this time on the ruggedness. I find the camera comfortable in my hand. I like it that the lens doesn't protrude so that when I put it in my pocket it isn't prone to damage. I messed up one of my small cameras by slipping it into my pocket vs the case then damaged the lens protector. The Pentax 85229 Adventure Case is nice and has a small compartment that I am using to carry extra batteries when I get carried away with leaving the GPS on for extended periods( particularly in the tracking mode) and snapping many pictures. I would have given this camera a 5 star except I am not too happy with the indoor pictures, particularly when the flash is in the auto mode and doesn't consider it necessary to flash. I have now gotten into the habit of setting the flash to flash in all circumstances for indoor pictures and that works out fairly well. I am overall happy with this camera.
on May 13, 2015
great camera for the price. Takes good pictures, and very intuitive to use. Battery life is mediocre. Recommend purchasing an additional battery if you're planning on taking lots of pictures away from ability to recharge the battery (I have 2 of the Wasabi brand ones, and those are great). Underwater modes work well, though they can be difficult to page through with heavy gloves. I have had no issues with leakage, and have taken it to 20M (60 ft) repeatedly. You do have to make absolutely sure that the battery door is fully locked in place. It sometimes comes "off track" a little and will shut and lock, but not be fully sealed. Check the colored tab to be positive that it's properly closed before taking underwater. I suspect that this is the source of many complaints regarding flooding.
on March 5, 2013
I have had to purchase new cameras about every 2 or 3 years for the last 10 years. They just don't last. This camera covers all the problems I have had before. It is crush proof, water proof, dust proof, cold and heat proof to a certain degree. The working of it are completely enclosed including the zoom. One of the BIG likes is the fact that I can use my old program that I already know to download photos and movies. I absolutely think Pentax has done their usual outstanding work on providing perfect instructions and ease of use with this camera. I have veered away from buying Pentax in the past because of the price difference, but this camera was not more expensive, but right in line with others and lower in price than some.
The photos are wonderful, I haven't taken many yet, but the ones I have taken are TOP QUALITY. One of the features of the camera that I won't buy without is auto shoot. I am not the most adept at understanding or setting cameras so auto shoot has to come with the camera. I'm really enjoying it so far.
It has a GPS on it also, but I haven't used it yet.
The camera is nicely shaped, fits into a pocket easily and the strap is just the right length to keep it safe.
I think this is a perfect package.
on March 13, 2013
It takes great photos, it's durable (survived the ATV and the waverunner better than I did), I love the carabiner and lanyard, it's mostly wonderful but....

I wish I'd saved the money and bought the one WITHOUT the GPS.

The GPS takes forever to lock on a signal and loses it way to easily. Turning on the GPS eats battery time like crazy. Paying for something I leave turned off all the time is pretty foolish.

Still, I'd give the camera 4 and 1/2 stars if they'd let me. I do recommend purchasing Wasabi Power Battery and Charger Kit for Pentax D-LI92 and Pentax Optio I-10, RZ10, X70, WG-1, WG-1 GPS, WG-2, WG-2 GPS It's a great add on as the Optio doesn't come with an external charger. The two extra batteries make it easy to always have one ready. One in the camera. one ready to go and one in the charger!
on February 25, 2014
I ordered this camera thinking it was new. It was used though, the screen has scratches all over it and was def not new. I tried to get the battery to work in the camera but the camera itself was defective. It would power on sometimes and other times it would not. When I did mange to get it powered on it had images of the previous user on it, some very nude images of a man and a woman that were not pleasing to look at. I would never order from this seller again. I have ordered thousands of orders from amazon over the years and this is the first review I have left. I have received products that were not great in the past, but never have I received a product that like this... I ordered the same camera from another supplier as I want he camera, but I will never do business with beach camera again as I believe they are dishonest and lack integrity.
on March 27, 2014
This camera has been all over the world with me: ice hiking in New Hampshire, snorkeling in St Croix, site-seeing in Israel. It has been great at taking photos and videos of my niece at gymnastics, taking pics of my craft projects, and catching my pets during their various antics. I love the clip and the ruggedness. Its been dropped many times, subjected to salt spray while boating and extreme dust while overseas. I've had no problems with the battery life and I bought a 32G memory card to use with it. Not small enough to fit in a pants pocket, but I can operate it one-handed. Have not tried the GPS function.
on April 21, 2013
I use this camera primarily for ski and bike trips. It's great to clip to your waist or backpack for easy access. The panoramic photos are easy to take and came out beautifully! The indoor pictures aren't great compared to others I've used, but really if you want this to be a camera to take outside and beat up a bit, the quality is great. The GPS tagging will drain the battery a bit and if the temp is colder than what the camera likes, it will also drain faster. I bought a backup battery (also from Amazon) to keep in my coat while out skiing. It was very small and not an inconvenience to carry.
on March 21, 2013
I purchased this camera about two weeks ago. I needed a rugged camera because I am planning on going to Central Asia this summer, and I needed something that could withstand the dust, and because I didn't want to be caught in a third world country with no way to replace my nice camera. I took it with me on a spring break visit to Northern Ireland to test it out.

Overall, I was very pleased, and feel secure relying on it to hold up on my Central Asia trip. The design is very firm and appears to be well-engineered. I was worried about the battery cover at first, because it creaked and moved when pushed on, but the rubber stoppers inside it are plenty to keep out water (provided you keep them clean), and it's built so that it's impossible to open accidentally. All the buttons are easy to press, and all respond with a firm, satisfying click. Keeping a grip is easy, as it appears to be designed to be usable while wearing gloves. One of my favorite parts are the four tiny plastic legs on the corners of the display screen, which raise it slightly off the table or counter so that the screen doesn't get scratched over time from sliding around.

The menus are easy to navigate and understand, and it comes with some pretty good features. My favorite was the panorama feature, which allows you to take 3 photos, and puts them together side by side to give an extremely wide shot (this was *awesome* to take pictures of city skylines with, and I imagine it'll be just as awesome at taking panoramas of the mountains of C. Asia). Panorama mode makes it easy to line up each picture, so you can make the final picture seamless. Another cool mode was the digital microscope. It allows you to take detailed, super-close pictures of the details of things, such as plants, insects, or whatever tiny things you like.

At first, the default shutter speed was incredibly slow, and almost impossible to take non-blurry photos with. I just reduced it in the options and now have no problems. Picture quality is great (for a point-and-shoot, if you want National Geographic-quality, you'll need to spend quite a bit more).

While I was in N. Ireland, I took around 450+ pictures, and turned it on and off between each one, just about, and only had to charge the battery 3 times (it is important to note that this was with the GPS turned OFF). At first I was worried that it would be a little bulky to carry around in my pockets, since it's a little larger than most other point-and-shoot cameras, but it's light to hold, and the strap+carabiner made it easy to pull out of my pocket.

I never tested out the GPS function, so I can't comment on that. I only bought the version with the GPS because at the time of purchase, it was on sale for the same price as the non-GPS version (~$250, at the time).

I am very happy to have this camera. It was really exactly what I needed, and, being totally honest, I love how it's design screams adventure. Every time I pull it out, people ask, "Is that one of those indestructible cameras?" and I respond, "Yes, it is," and then I climb a mountain. Every time.

Verdict: Recommended.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.