Pentax Optio W90 12.1 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 5x Wide Angle Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD (Black)
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 12.1 megapixel CCD
- 720p high-definition video at 30 fps
- Wide-angle 5x optical zoom (28?140mm equivalent)
- 2.7" LCD 16:9 display
- WHATS IN THE BOX: Optio W90, USB Cable I-USB7, AV Cable I-AVC7, Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery D-LI88, Battery Charge Cradle D-BC88, AC Plug Cord, Strap O-ST20, Carabiner Strap O-ST103, Software CD-ROM S-SW102
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
|Item Dimensions||1 x 2.3 x 4.2 inches|
|Item Weight||0.36 pounds|
|Lithium Battery Weight||4 ounces|
|Optical Sensor Resolution||12.1 MP|
|Shipping Weight||1.45 pounds|
PENTAX 16411 12.1 Megapixel Optio W90 Digital Camera (Black)
From the Manufacturer
The eleventh generation Pentax Optio W90 waterproof digital camera is built for rugged adventure in every way. It offers enhanced waterproof, shockproof, dustproof, and coldproof performance and features an inventive Digital Microscope mode with LED lighting to capture small but intriguing subjects. Designed with the look of mountaineering equipment, the Optio W90 kit includes a woven web fabric strap complete with a carabiner to attach the camera to a backpack and other outdoor gear.
Adventure photography doesn't get any better than this. The rugged Optio W90 offers photographic performance, innovative features and style that surpass other outdoor compact digital cameras now available on the market.
- Waterproof to 20 feet for reliable underwater photography
- Shockproof to 4 feet withstanding the rigors of extreme use
- Coldproof to sub-freezing temperatures for use in wintery, snowy activities
- 12.1 megapixel sensor and wide angle 5x optical zoom (28-140mm equivalent)
- Digital Microscope mode with LED lens lighting perfectly captures the smallest and closest macro subjects as near as 1cm from the camera
- Eye-Fi wireless SD memory card connectivity for built-in Wi-Fi capability to transfer photos and videos from the camera to a computer or an online sharing site such as Picasaweb, Flickr, Facebook and YouTube. (Eye-fi cards sold separately.)
- Large 2.7-inch LCD with 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio that is easy to view in strong light or underwater
- Capture movies in widescreen 720p HD video at 30 frames per second An HDMI port plays back beautiful high-resolution imges and video on HDTVs
- Advanced Pixel Track Shake Reduction captures blur-free images in any lighting Fast Face Detection, Smile Capture, Blink Detection, and processing modes specifically designed for portraiture, and new Pet Recognition captures up to 3 pre-programmed pet faces in memory
- Infrared remote control compatibility with new waterproof Remote Control WP, as well as other Pentax infrared remotes
- Autofocus assist lamp helps to quickly and accurately focus, even in challenging lighting
Waterproof, Shockproof, Dustproof, Freezeproof
Rated JIS Class 8 waterproof, the Pentax Optio W90 captures images up to 20 feet underwater (four feet deeper than the previous Pentax W series model) for up to two hours. The shockproof* Optio W90 is designed to withstand falls from a height of four feet without damage to the body. Rated JIS Class 6 dustproof, the Optio W90 also offers exceptional coldproof performance for reliable operation at temperatures as low as -10 degrees C, making it a perfect choice for active photographers who venture to shoot pictures in demanding outdoor conditions. The camera also comes equipped with carabiner strap to attach the camera to a backpack or other outdoor gear.
* Measured under Pentax-original testing standards (from a height of 1.2 meters, onto a surface of 5cm-thick plywood), conforming to the Method 516.5-Shock of the MIL-Standard 810F.
Digital Microscope mode for nature observation from 1cm away
Combining a macro shooting capability from less than one inch away with the Digital Zoom function, the Optio W90's new Digital Microscope mode magnifies the view and captures miniscule subjects that are difficult to observe closely with the naked eye.
* Three LED Macro Lights installed on the face of the lens barrel camera captures subjects such as plants and insects clearly and brightly on the LCD monitor for extreme macro photography.
** When using the Digital Microscope mode, the image size is fixed at 2.1 megapixels (at 16:9 proportions).
Eye-Fi wireless SD memory card connectivity
Eye-Fi SD memory cards store media and offer built-in Wi-Fi capability that accesses an assigned wireless network to effortlessly transfer photos and videos from the camera to a computer and online sharing site such as Picasaweb, Flickr, Facebook and YouTube. Equipped with an Eye-Fi Card, the Optio W90 allows users to enable/disable the Eye-Fi Card's Wi-Fi connectivity via the camera menu and provides an on-screen card activity indicator. (Eye-fi cards sold separately.)
Upgraded face detection detects dogs and cats
The Optio W90 features a new-generation Face Detection AF & AE function, which instantly and accurately detects up to 32 faces in the image field and captures each in sharp focus and optimum exposure in just 0.03 seconds. This upgraded version is programmed to detect not only human faces, but also the faces of dogs and cats. When the user selects pre-registered dog or cat faces (up to 3 choices), the camera automatically detects them and optimizes focus and exposure. Users may program the camera to automatically release the shutter the moment the subject's face turns straight toward the camera, which is helpful for pet photography.
High-quality, HD-proportioned movie recording
The Optio W90 captures beautiful, flawless movie clips at 16:9 high-definition TV proportions (1280 x 720 pixels) at a frame rate of 30 frames per second. This mode also offers a variety of editing functions: Still images may be extracted from movie clips; title images can be added to the beginning and/or end of a movie clip; and more. The Optio W90 also provides an HDMI micro terminal for audio/video signal output.
Extra-wide 2.7-inch LCD monitor for effortless outdoor viewing
The Optio W90 features a large 2.7 inch high-brightness color LCD monitor with approximately 230,000 dots and horizontally extended 16:9 proportions. This monitor is treated with a special AR (Anti-Reflection) coating to cut the glare of external light and minimize annoying reflections, making it easy to view recorded images and on-screen menus even in bright sunlight.
High image quality
Combining approximately 12.1 effective megapixels with the Pentax-developed imaging engine and the high-performance Pentax zoom lens, the Optio W90 delivers brilliant, high-quality images with well-defined details. Even when images are enlarged to larger sizes, users are assured of sharp, high-resolution prints with edge-to-edge sharpness.
Optical 5x zoom lens with a 28mm wide-angle coverage
Despite its compact dimensions, the Optio W90 features an optical 5x zoom lens covering focal lengths from 5mm to 25mm (equivalent in the 35mm format to approximately 28mm wide angle to 140mm telephoto). This wide zoom range may be used for a wide variety of subjects and scenes, from spectacular landscape and group shots to tightly framed snapshots taken from a distance.
Triple anti-shake protection to prevent different types of camera shake
Pixel Track SR
When recording still images, the Optio W90's Pixel Track SR (Shake Reduction) effectively compensates for camera shake by processing affected images.
High-Sensitivity anti-shake mode*
When the Optio W90 detects low-lighting conditions in still-image shooting, it automatically raises its sensitivity to as high as ISO 6400, making it possible to use a higher shutter speed. This effectively minimizes the adverse effects of camera shake and subject shake under poor lighting conditions.
During movie recording, the Optio W90 prevents blurry images by effectively minimizing annoying camera shake through the use of exclusive software.
*When the High-Sensitivity anti-shake mode is selected, the recorded size is fixed to five megapixels (2592 x 1944 pixels).
**When the Movie SR is selected, the angle of view becomes narrower than normal shooting.
Subscreen Input function for constant display of a favorite image on the screen
The Optio W90 features a Subscreen Input function that allows users to display a thumbnail of a recorded images in the upper left corner of the LCD panel for a picture in picture effect that may be used as a reference. This features is helpful when the photographer wants to shoot subjects from the same angle and at the same image size every time (such as photographing prepared food in the same way to compile a recipe file) or when the user wants to constantly keep a favorite image on the screen.
- Remote Control Waterproof O-RC1 (available as an optional accessory) for wireless remote shooting*
- New Collage function to compose a single picture from multiple images
- New Ink Rubbing filter to create a monochromatic, high-contrast image from a recorded image
- Auto Picture mode to automatically select one of the eight shooting modes for the optimum result 12 digital filters to add distinctive visual effects to recorded images
- Digital Wide function to compose an extra-wide-angle image (equivalent to an image taken with an approx. 21mm lens in 35mm format) from two images
- MediaImpression 2.0 for Pentax image viewing, editing and filing software included (compatible with latest operation systems, such as Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.6)
Top Customer Reviews
I had the camera immersed in saltwater, freshwater for extended periods of time. No signs of leaking. It is compact, durable. I like its functions, options etc. I was worried that it might work great underwater, but that I might have to compromise on normal pictures where I would have typically used another compact (non waterproof) but didn't want to carry another compact camera with me. However, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the pictures under normal shooting conditions.
I see a lot of use coming from this camera. Kayak trips, beach trips. just taking it places where I wouldn't want to take my other cameras.
I highly recommend this camera---but understand what you are getting, incredible flexibility with very good quality, but don't expect it to perform like your digital SLR. But some of the pictures I got with this camera, I simply wouldn't have gotten with my digital SLR because it wouldn't have been with me!
The photo quality is great and 12 mp will give you plenty of detail with some room to crop if needed. The video quality is the only thing left to be desired... It seems pretty grainy for the advertised HD.
One of my favorite features is the panoramic setting. It allows you to take 3 pictures and it automatically stitches them together. It even gives you a ghost image to line up your previous shot. Pentax released the K-7 with an HDR feature, that would be a great software update as would an update to make the cameras time lapse feature more usable. The interval shooting times are just too high to really do a good time lapse, so I'm hoping for a software update to allow for more custom interval shooting.
The Automatic features are great and get the best shot every time, but some manual features are available to give you more control of your photography. The waterproofness was recently tested on a white water rafting trip and in a rain storm and I was pretty happy that it survived just fine.
The 2.7 inch screen is great, however it needs a scratch proof protector as it looks like the most vulnerable part. The 3 LED lights that provide light for the macro shots are pretty cool and give just the right amount of light to get the exposure perfect.
I'm pretty happy with this camera. It's the right camera for the outdoorsman and rugged enough to be given to a two year old without worry.
-- The image quality is good, colors are well portrayed in the finished images.
-- It does have Interval shooting, which it didn't say in the description but I find this option fun for time lapse.
-- The panoramic mode is also really nice. It stitches together three images as you take them. It has a kind of visual guide to help you line the pictures up. The finished product is very good.
-- I took this camera under water in the ocean. The pictures came out pretty good, but I didn't take alot because the water was colder than I thought lol. After the ocean I followed the instructions to rinse the unit in a bowl of fresh water and it worked good. No leaks.
-- The camera itself is very rugged and stands up to alot of abuse.
-- I haven't used the micro shooting function very much, but the shots I have done are very cool. The LEDs on the front of the camera work well, but again I didn't use it that much.
Over all this is an awesome camera. I am an amateur photographer, I usually shoot with my Canon 5D mark II. But for a light trip like this, the W90 worked perfect. I'm impressed with everything about it. It is a really fun camera and I highly recommend it, hence the 5 stars. Hope this helps.
When I returned from my trip, I contacted Pentax and was told to send the camera to AZ for repair. It's been gone 4 weeks without any communication from Pentax. BTW, while talking to the customer service rep before I sent the camera off, he admitted that they had seen this problem with other cameras of this model and assured me it would be fixed.
I would seriously consider the Canon or Olympus cameras instead of the W90. I've had an Olympus for about 4 years, use it a lot (it saved me on my vacation) and it is still working without a problem.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This camera worked flawless using it about 4 different occasions and then when the moment in the spotlight really...Read more