Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Color: Red|Size: One Size|Change
Price:$479.99 - $499.99

Showing 1-10 of 96 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 115 reviews
on December 17, 2012
In Hawaii, go-anywhere includes underwater. This is my second Pentax Optio WP-series waterproof camera, I liked the original WP (only 5 mega pixel) so I did not hesitate to buy this WG-2 when I wanted to upgrade.

I like it overall, but it is not everything I hoped it could be. I've had it for a few months, but I waited until I used it while snorkeling to finalize the review. Let's face it, you buy this camera for underwater use.

It could be better in the following areas:
(1) Shutter release button is kind of recessed (may be just flush) and kind of hard to press. I can understand the on-off switch being recessed, but why the shutter release button??? If you take a picture accidentally, what's the big deal? Just erase it! Make the shutter release button easier to press.
(2) Other buttons are small-ish. Some buttons are for fingernail operation. Definitely not operable with gloved hand (diving glove).
(3) No zooming capability in video mode while shooting. Why? I want to zoom in and out while shooting.
(4) The battery-memory-card compartment door is tricky to close. It's the same (as original WP) two-hand operation to open and close, which is good because you don't want it to open accidentally. But closing requires fine alignment of the door to the body, and I worry this mechanism will wear prematurely. It has not leaked, yet, but I worry about this door mechanism developping a leak.
(5) Auto exposure in video mode is not continuously adjusting, once the shutter release is pressed the exposure setting seems to be locked in that initial setting. It is OK for most video situation, but if you start the video footage underwater, and continue shooting while surfacing and above water, the exposure becomes all wrong.
(6) The interval photo and video modes are nice, but the available intervals are almost useless. The minimum still photo interval is 10 sec. The minimum video interval is 1 minute!!! The only application that I can think of for such a LOOONG interval is maybe for shooting the entire lunar eclipse sequence. Why such a long interval? I need like 0.1 sec, 0.2 sec, 0.5 sec, 1 sec, 2 sec.
(7) It is a point-and-shoot camera, so manual controls are difficult or absent. You just need to be aware of that, if you are an advanced photographer.
(8) The included strap and carabiner look cool, but useless for underwater use - you need a REAL wrist strap for underwater use.
Above negative comments sound harsh, but I'm nitpicking. Overall, it is a nice go-anywhere camera.

LIKES:
(1) Picture quality is good both under and above water.
(2) Excellent macro capability.
(3) Nice textured body surface.
(4) Includes a real printed operation manual, not just a PDF file of it.
22 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 16, 2012
This rugged little camera takes great shots on land. I was skeptical about the underwater durability but it seems great so far. The pictures are typical of basic underwater shots without additional lighting. It was purchased for a vacation to the Caribbean to reduce luggage weight (instead of lugging my Canon T3i and lenses)and to avoid the expense of one-use underwater film cameras. I purchased the extra battery and a 32GB Class 10 SD card to accommodate videos and photos. The various settings are user friendly for anyone, even as a point & shoot. It boots super-fast and is pretty intuitive (though reading the manual is recommended). Many of the reviews I read or watched were pretty accurate and very helpful.
on June 20, 2016
I've been using this camera for 3 years and still love it. It has a crazy zoom and LED's around the lens that will allow you to zoom in on individual grains of sand or the smallest insect. No exaggeration! It does okay underwater, but to be honest the pictures aren't the brightest. However, when I put them on my computer and autocorrect with photoshop, all the colors come out. The color is somehow captured, but doesn't show up until the image is corrected. At least that's the case when about 10 feet under water or in sandy water. It does great out of the water too. The zoom is amazing, especially with a small tripod to hold it still. The only thing I don't like is that you can't charge it while maintaining the waterproofing. But you can't open the battery door right after you get out of the water without risking getting water in it. Thankfully, I am able to get a few days out of a charge. This thing is rugged though! I've thrown it off waterfalls then jumped down to get it. Have tossed it to friends, dropped it, etc. It works good as new.
on March 30, 2014
I bought this camera so I can take it pretty much anywhere and not worry about it getting damaged. I take it bike riding and hiking and lots of other activities.
This camera is pretty tough and it's great that I don't have to worry about it getting wet or falling into the water. I like it's looks and all the features. It has a good flash for dark and when you need. It also works great in low light without the flash too.

One of the things I really like about it is that it has an optical zoom, it's Great. It zooms in great and gets good and close even when you're not.
If you think the optical zoom will be a problem by getting damaged or sticking out, don't worry about it. The lens is sort of internal by it being behind a glass lens that is all part of the camera, you can actually see it moving out towards the lens if you watch it.
Anyway, so far this is a great camera. I pretty much keep it in auto mode because there are so many settings/choices to choose in the menu it can become confusing.
You might want to take a micro-fiber cloth to clean off the lens if you get it dirty.

This is a rugged, nice looking, functional, high resolution, multi-feature camera! ....Oh, you might want to get an extra battery just in case, they're pretty inexpensive ( Wasabi Power Battery for Pentax D-LI92 and Ricoh Pentax Optio I-10, RZ10,... )
on February 23, 2014
I purchased this camera for a trip to Hawaii. My wife and I used it both in an out of the water, taking great care to keep it safe. We got some great shots while snorkeling and during a hike to the volcano. On the 4th day of our vacation while we were taking pictures on the beach, the camera LED display went black and stopped working. The camera itself was able to take a couple more shots and then it stopped too. We checked all of the openings and the rubber ring around the battery/SD card opening and everything looked fine. After returning from Hawaii, I contacted Pentax support and they were very friendly and helpful. The representative tried to walk me through some trouble shooting the camera, but it would not power on at all. At that point they determined it was defective and sent out a new replacement. It arrived in about a week (new camera in an unopened box with all the accessories, battery and manuals) and worked as expected on arrival. We decided to take it out with us the next day but when I tired to power it on, it would not turn on at all.

The only reason I'm not giving this one star is because of the very friendly and prompt support we received from Pentax and when the camera did work, it was great (even if it was for only 4 days).
on July 11, 2015
I absolutely love this tough little beast. I have a personal love of bugs and spiders (well actually all animals and plants) and I am kinda clumsy, so between the macro ability, being shock proof, and taking it in the ocean in the VI for a few weeks, this thing never quite. It does have draw backs, my wife's Cannon G10 and SONY Alpha A6000 kill this camera in low light or fast action, or clarity in zoomed in pics. But then a Porsche is better than a Jeep at some things. For a great camera that can handle an 8 year old using it (and dropping it) and her father not breaking it in the years of hiking, swimming, camping, and general use it gets my total respect!
on November 7, 2013
Needed a water proof camera for vacation this year for some snorkeling. Discovered it has a ton of other functionality! This thing takes excellent night time photos, excellent movies, and I am simply amazed by the macro mode! I was taking some macro mode pictures of flowers, and noticed some ants crawling around the flower petals. I zoomed in to 5x (optical limit on mine), and began snapping photo's. I was using a mono-pod, so camera shake was not an issue. When I viewed the images on a 21 inch monitor, you could see the individual facets in the ants eyes! This thing camera takes amazing pictures, water proof, impact resistant (been dropped several times on hikes), and battery life is strong.

New Years Update, January 2014
So I've been using this camera for 6 months now. This little camera continues to amaze me. In addition to underwater, macro and auto mode, my kids have now used the camera as a camcorder to make a movie. It imported flawless into Windows Movie Maker, and is in the edit/post production process stage right now. All done by a group of teenagers. So this camera not only has a ton of functions, takes good pictures, and is easy to use. If there was a six star rating, I would give it to this camera.
on June 22, 2013
My review of this camera is based on experience as a photographer using cameras and equipment in the many a thousands of dollars! As a disclaimer; The cost of my equipment doesn't make me a good photographer. However, I will say that I would not have invested that kind of money in my equipment if I didn't have some sort of success with its use.

The Pentax Optio WG-2 Digital Camera, Black is a great camera in the point and shoot category. Its extremely versatile. I originally purchased the much more expensive Nikon AW110 from a big box store, but after two weeks of use I returned it. The WG-2 has just about all of the features the AW110 does, with exception to the GPS and some technical manufacturer specific items without the much higher price.

Photos are clear and on par with what I would expect from this category of cameras. The waterproof and underwater ability is great! I have seen some reviews of the strap and carabiner as a con. However, I personally like it compared to other brand's options.

The only negative that I can find is the battery door. Which really can't be considered as a negative, as I have yet to have any problems with it. But, it feels loose and as if it has the increased potential of allowing water into the body of the camera. It hasn't happened though, and only time will tell. That being said, if I had to buy another camera today, this one would be at the top of the list.
This camera gets my recommendation.........

P.S. The microscope mode is AWESOME! This is one of the most impressive features of this camera.
on November 21, 2013
I LOVE this camera. I am a professional photographer and a commercial dive harvester and have only recently begun playing with underwater photography. I bought this to play with on a trip to Hawaii, and it was SO MUCH FUN. It is rugged, and I have not yet had any problems with leakage at ALL, even after spending MANY consecutive hours snorkelling. The battery life in cold Alaskan waters where I live and dive is marginal, but such is the case with cold temperatures and batteries. I love my DSLR but this is a super fun point and shoot and it is really great to be able to use it in all weather conditions and underwater. I recently accidentally took it down to 70' on a dive, and 50'+ on another dive and it was submerged to below its 40' rating for 20-30 minutes. It still works. not that I would recommend doing it all the time, but it still works. At 70' I was unable to use any of the buttons as the pressure was too much and they wouldn't work, but I was still able to take pictures!I would like to see the depth rating increase on future versions, but I love this little camera. I can't decide whether or not to give it 5 stars, but it really is a good buy!
on June 26, 2013
I bought this camera after reading the reviews on it in Parents magazine, which highly recommended it for people with kids. My daughter is 7 months old and we have captured some priceless pictures of her with this great camera.

Pros: light weight, durable, video with slow motion play back (awesome), self-assist and smile capture option (great for family selfies), long lasting battery, memory (limited) without SD card, great zoom, numerous photo settings, attached caribeener a good idea.

Cons: pictures in low light work best on the kids settings (but not great), the yellow filter is poor (we have light/soft yellow walls in the house and out pictures inside don't look good if the walls are prominent), no lense cover (I am afraid the lense will get scratched), slightly to long so it doesn't fit in your pocket, caribeener itself is weak, on/off button and take the picture button are too close together and similar in size that sometimes you accidentaly turn it off.

Overall though- we love it and for a small, on the go camera for families it is great. Probably also good for the outdoor adventure type since it's tough and waterproof. Enjoy!