Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by us the duo Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 7, 2012
I conducted a Great Pen Review a few months ago, in which I purchased a 12-pack of the following 0.5mm pens and distributed them to friends and family for evaluation:

Pilot Precise V5 Stick Rolling Ball Pen, Micro Point, 0.5 mm, Black Barrel/Ink (35334), 12-Count
Pentel EnerGel Liquid Gel Pen, Fine Needle Tip, Blue Barrel, Black Ink, Box of 12 (BLN15-A)
Pilot G2 Retractable Gel Ink Roller Ball Pen, Extra Fine Point, Clear Barrel, Black Ink, 12-Count (31002)
uni-ball 207 Retractable Micro Point Gel Pens, 12 Black Ink Pens(61255)
Sharpie Pen Fine Point Pen, 12 Black Pens (1742663)

The overall favorites were definitely the V5 and the EnerGel. The EnerGel was generally preferred by those who liked a higher ink flowrate, while the V5 was preferred by those who liked a lower flowrate. First impressions of the Uniball 207 were quite good, but occasionally these pens drew the ire of my reviewers when they stopped writing seemingly randomly with large volumes of ink still remaining. The Sharpie pen, while better than expected, feels like a marker (because it is) and doesn't have wide appeal. The Pilot G2 was scratchy and terrible all-around; this appears to be a problem with the 0.5mm tip size, as I have heard great things about the G2 0.7mm.

I found the EnerGel to deliver the ink too fast, and I had some problems with bleed-through on my Moleskine Ruled Notebook Pocket. Because of this, the EnerGel ran dry quite a bit faster than the other pens tested. I do tend to write rather slowly, so it really comes down to personal preference - the other reviewers were split 50/50 over whether the flowrate was too high or just right.

The pen had zero durability issues like those cited for the 207's and the G2's. While I find the line that these pens produce to be too thick when compared to the lines yielded by other 0.5mm pens, those who like to write bigger and bolder will probably appreciate them. Even though this is not my favorite pen, all reviewers could at least agree that these pens are quality.
7 helpful votes
8 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on December 6, 2016
Today, (12/06/16) I received my box of 12 Pentel EnerGel 0.7 Black Liquid Gel Ink pens. I just through 8 of them in the trash, they would not write at all. Seemed like they were all dried out. The four of them that did work did not perform as good as an old one that I already had, they did not make a nice bold line. I have had the old one for a couple years, the exact same pen and it was my favorite pen, it still writes a nice smooth bold line every time, that is why I bought a box of a dozen new ones. I see so many good reviews about these pens but I got screwed and it's not worth my time to fool around returning them.

John H.
on October 25, 2015
I've generally been a fan of the Pentel Energel series, but these pens have proved to be unreasonably frustrating. Perhaps I got a bad batch, but my experience is that the pens will write for a few seconds, and then the ink will clog/jam/dry up. It takes 10 seconds of scribbling to free the ink before I get 5 seconds of writing. I could understand if this happened in one or two pens, but of the box of 12 that I purchased, every single pen has exhibited the same problems. I've gotten to the point where I've thrown out the box; they're absolutely worthless to me.
on May 18, 2012
What's great about them?

1. THE NEEDLE TIP: feels more precise than other types of tips. It stays clearly out of the way of what you are writing. Unfortunately, the last pen of this kind that I owned was indeed smoother than all the new ones I received. Pentel must have changed something about the tip mechanism. I rate smoothness on 2 aspects; the tip's performance, and the ink smoothness. No doubt EnerGel is slippery stuff, but all the newer Energel pens seem to have this rockier writing feel at the tip-not rusty, but rockier than they used to be. It's as if you are writing on a sheet of paper that has a piece of sandpaper a few sheets underneath it. It's subtle... but it's there. The Pilot G2s are the same way. But the earlier ones didn't do this! It's still a very smooth writing pen, especially if you press lightly. The tip is strong as it's a solid one-piece nib instead of separate pieces as with Pilot's.

2. THE INK: The EnerGel ink is superior to just about any ink in all regards--smear free, fairly waterproof, deepest black ink of all gel inks with marginal exception of Pilot G2 black ink. It's clearly smoother than the Pilot Precise which is slightly scratchy. The EnerGel ink is the smoothest of all inks I've ever tried. It has only a slight tendency to bleed at all, but you have to press and hold for it to really happen. That it has a cap (that has a rubbery tip cover inside) could mean it's less likely to dry out than a retractable pen which has nothing.

3. THE GRIP: The grip is quite good--it's the perfect diameter which makes my penmanship the smoothest and neatest looking, as well as most free-movement. The former version of the BLN 15A (this pen) had no ribbing on the rubber grip which I really liked. No matter how subtle the ribbing, it feels like snow tire treads, and its only decorative and feels annoying. The best grip texture should probably emulate the texture of fingerprints, and nothing more, or simply none. [The best grip in the business goes to the Pilot Precise Grip--perfectly tacky texture with recessed dimple dots.] But this Pentel pen is probably second best. I could only want it to be tackier like Pilot's. The only slight annoyance in writing is the noticing of the cap's edge rubbing my skin a bit. I leave it off.

A great .5, fine tip pen.
on October 16, 2011
I am a professional artist and I have used this pen for the past 5 years to ink my art. This is by far the best gel pen on the market (and I've tried MANY). Very smooth ink, never skips and it takes under 30 seconds to dry. It will smear if you touch it or brush the page immediately after writing with it, but there's a simple solution to that: Wait a few seconds before you touch the page! My scanner picks this ink up well, the lines are nice and very smooth and in my experience it is better than most artist inks, including India ink (which is very expensive, runs and stains like crazy). Aside from art, this is my preferred writing pen as well, I write with it daily. It is very comfortable to hold, won't dry when you forget the top off and one pen will last a fairly long time compared to others I've used. No problems with it bleeding through the page, either. A bit expensive, but you get what you pay for and for the performance these are worth the price! I really can't live without these pens and I hope they don't change them, they are the best!
4 helpful votes
on May 24, 2010
I am very, very particular about the kind of pen I use- I'm a college student so I spend hours upon hours each week writing notes from lectures and textbooks. My previous choice was the Pentel RSVP Fine Point (simple ballpoint, not gel ink)- while it has many merits, it tends to "goop" up from ink dispensing irregularly, and sometimes the lines are too faint to read easily.

I picked up this pen on a whim from a bookstore while purchasing a textbook, and I love it so much I came to Amazon to review it. It is not too thick or too thin, it is very comfortable to hold (I do have smaller hands, however). It writes VERY smoothly, like silk on the paper, and the ink hasn't smeared once or smudged onto my hand, even immediately after writing. The gel ink stands out beautifully on the paper, but isn't too thick- sometimes I have to squeeze notes into a margin and afterwards I have no problem reading even the tiniest print. It doesn't goop up and leave ugly blotches. It is great quality and has withstood lots of abuse without the cap cracking or becoming ill-fitting and even the printing on the pen looks brand new. As other reviewers have stated, my penmanship looks a LOT better using this pen.

When my current one runs out of ink, I plan on purchasing a 12-pack of these from Amazon. It is my new favorite and the "holy grail" of pens. Definitely worth every penny!
4 helpful votes
on August 29, 2011
This is seriously the best pen I've ever used. There are so many pens I've tried. I'm the type of person that will go into the stores and try every pen in the store before I buy a pen. I didn't see this pen in any store, but I bought them from Amazon because of the high ratings. I buy about 100 things or more from Amazon every year, and this has been my favorite purchase. You can write really thin with this pen and then when you rub over it, it's instantly dry, so you don't have to worry about it rubbing off. I even write with the pen, and highlight over the writing seconds after I write, and it doesn't smear. The writing is crisp and the needle tip allows you to write really thin and small and so neat! I've had people try to steal this pen from me because they love it as soon as they use it. It lasts a long time too. I write all day long, and this pen has already lasted me several months. I leave it uncapped, and it still writes great. BEATS all the other pens I've tried. If I find a pen better than this one, I'll write an update!
on September 3, 2009
I rented a camera case one time, and one of these had been left in a pocket. I managed to forget to stick another pen in the case on the day of my shoot, so I ended up using that pen. I LOVED it! As soon as I got home, I looked it up online to get some more.

I originally got a package of red ones, but I decided to get some black ones too, when I saw that every single red pen wrote the first time I opened up the cap. They write really smoothly and don't skip. The ink dries pretty quickly so I don't end up with ink all over my hands like I do for other pens.

I always used to have problems with losing pens, but that is not the case for these. I like them so much I rarely let them out of my sight! When someone borrows one, I will get it back, or I will hunt them down. Haha just kidding, but seriously, I love these pens. I'm gradually changing out all my pens to these!
on September 18, 2013
I recommend these pens for the most pickiest of pen writers. These write incredibly smooth with little effort. You'll want these if you write a lot every day. I'll never go back to ball point pens again if I could help it.

Also, these pens last forever. I would say 2x or 3x longer than the popular G2 pens. The removable cover is actually a plus. You won't have ink runs in your pocket because it's not a clicker that accidentally clicks open in your pocket.

One con is that the outer finish of the pen fades and peels easily.
on March 13, 2012
I have tried numerous other gel pen brands over the years thinking I could get the same writing experience to save some money or maybe purchase a pen more conveniently.....but I was dead wrong! In my humble opinion, these are the finest medium tip gel pens you can buy for any price. I have been buying these pens for as long as they have been made. It is amazing that their high quality, great feel, consistent ink flow, velvet smooth tip, and good looks (I know, who cares about looks!!!) has been maintained and improved all these years. Keep it up, Pentel!!!
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question