Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 4pairs 71% Premium Merino Wool Crew Hiking Socks Made in USA People Socks
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEM

on February 28, 2015
I'm loving these socks.

When I deployed to Afghanistan, a buddy recommended I stock up on wool socks. After the first time slipping my feet into a pair, I was sold - never going back to cotton/poly blends. I decided to buy a bunch of pairs of wool socks. Learned they don't come cheap. So, I shopped around quite a bit to find the best bang for the buck - when you're a single dude in the military, you're not exactly rolling in the dough.

My research discovered the best wool socks out there (IMO) were the Redhead brand that Bass Pro shop sells - $10-15 for a pair. And that's where I've always gone to buy wool socks. But it's out of the way - 20 miles away.

So, since Ive pretty much sold my soul to the Amazon gods and purchase more and more of my goods via the Amazon app, I decided to take a look at what wool socks options were on here. Stumbled across these socks and was pleasantly surprised to see 4 pairs for so cheap. Naturally, I was skeptical. But then I realized this was one of those times being a Prime member really pays off. 66% off?!! Heck yes!

About these socks...
-They fit just right. A little tight on me (I don't skip leg day at the gym), but not uncomfortably so.
-They arrived promptly, minimal packaging - respect to the environment, y'all!
-They're made in Amer'ka! F ya!
review image review image
77 comments| 185 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 8, 2013
I read lots of reviews about how warm these socks are. I live in the low desert near Phoenix, AZ where summer temperatures range from a comfortable 100 degrees to a bit toasty 120 degrees. Pavement temperature can easily hit 140. I wear net topped shoes (New Balance 1540) to get maximum ventilation in an office casual environment. We usually get a couple frosts a year if it is a hard winter. So, warm is not what I was looking for.

Still, I hear lots of survivalists insist on having wool socks available during bad situations. I wanted some wool for a Get Home bag and my Bug Out bag. So, I tried these thick crew length socks for daily wear in the Sonoran Desert.

I am impressed wool allows nice ventilation. Maybe because of evaporative cooling, these socks are no warmer than the Thorlos socks I have been wearing. They are thick enough to feel cushioned. I also wear Under Armor Heat Gear shirts that are best air dried. Wash and air drying wool socks won't be a problem. Only surprise is the black socks are more light gray. The picture is accurate.

My wife feels empowered to throw out my clothes when she decides they are too old. My socks have been slowly disappearing. Looks like I will be converting my sock drawer to these wool socks.

People Socks replied within hours to my prepurchase questions. Shipping was fast. Thanks for a nice first purchase experience.

Second order -

I'm a value conscious buyer. Quality and durability are more important than lowest price. Cheap stuff usually costs lots more than quality stuff, especially when you have to throw out the cheap stuff you bought and buy the quality stuff anyway. But, it is nice to find quality durable wool socks that are inexpensive too. Worth my hard earned dollars.
88 comments| 293 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2012
I've been buying high end wool socks at close to $20 a pair for the last five years and after buying these socks my life has been changed! The same quality as the $20 per pair but for four pairs! Great deal, great quick shipment and who doesn't love to help a start up? My first four pairs (one order) was so great that I'm ordering a bunch more for the family for christmas (and myself!).
22 comments| 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2015
I don't have huge feet. Smaller than normal men's feet. Am a size 8 shoe size. So these ended up being a bit larger. They are warm, no doubt but I wish they came in a variety of sizes. Quality is good. Though there are socks with a higher merino wool content, the wool content with these is less and cost less too. I own a pair of 85% merino wool socks, and they fit perfectly. So maybe it's the snug fit but I find the 85% socks warmer than these. But at the end of the day, these do not disappoint. On a winter's day, feet stay warm and cozy.

-- updated nov 2015
So here I am with an update. This is the 2nd fall/winter I am wearing them. The heels are giving way. Pics included. I am deducting one star. These are socks after all and I don't expect them to last forever. However I didn't think these would last only 2 winters. And I am not a power user of these socks. Moderate use around the house. They are warm but heels could have been better.
review image review image
77 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 4, 2012
The price & the comfort = awesome.
I had several pairs shipped to me in Afghanistan, and I couldn't be happier.
Every Service Members knows how crappy the basic standard issue boot sock is... get these!
44 comments| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 18, 2015
I am very disappointed with my recent order and feel the quality has dropped dramatically. I have ordered these socks previously, back in June and love them. I have worn them everyday for 12+ hours at work in the woods and they are holding up great.

I decided to purchase some more and disappointed to find that the weight, thickness, and stitching has completely changed. Comparing them to the same socks are ordered 6 months ago the quality isn't even close. The socks I just ordered are not even close to medium weight, and feel more like Hanes crew socks. The logo and stitching is also different from the same socks I have previously ordered. I decided to give one pair a try today and ended up with blisters after 4 hours because how thin they are. I had to go back to the truck and put on the People's Socks I ordered 6 months ago. Night and Day difference.

What happened to the quality??? Maybe the picture will help. The sock on top is 6 months old and holding up great, the new sock is on the bottom.
review image
88 comments| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2015
Talk about exceeding expectations!
At one time I had at least a dozen pairs of Smart wool as that is what I wore without exception;
Winter, Summer, Hot or Cold, They were my go-to socks.
They wore out, I got tired of spending $15/pair and up and I eventually my needs changed
But now I find that I need some warm long wearing socks and BAM! I find People Socks!
More Value and Lower Expense? How do they do it! I don't know, but I'm glad and I'm a convert.
on November 18, 2012
Thick, warm, and comfy socks. Exactly what I needed for my first real winter in 11 years (California spoiled me).
on October 19, 2012
Great socks,very soft and comfortable. Love it!! will buy again..
70% wool!, Made in USA! can't beat the price. Highly recommended!
on June 12, 2013
I wear US size 9.5 and these are a great fit. Thick and comfortable. Wool is way better than cotton especially for hiking or being on your feet all day. Just got back from Yosemite where I used these socks exclusively and had almost no blisters hiking the Yosemite Falls trail and Half Dome.
22 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse