Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on April 15, 2018
A wonderful book that will change how you see the world, much like Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee did for those of us who grew up watching Hollywood westerns. It presents history of farmers, slaves and factory workers in a way that is different, more human, and more believable than what we were taught by the public schools. One of my top 5 books, and I've read many hundreds.
14 people found this helpful
on April 6, 2018
Had the great honor to have had a semester of U.S. History with Dr. Zinn, my freshman year of college. I was the only African American student in the class, and I was affected greatly from hearing him speak daily on the intricacies of what was and what wasn't in the seminal history of the country: that which is the congealed narrative of a master race or that of those affected by the impudence of power. Moreso, power run amok. Howard was my mentor, and my friend. Don't buy a summary. Read the book. I still have the textbook he assigned me.
27 people found this helpful
on August 21, 2017
A more honest, if less glorified story of the United States, including lots of things our country would rather you didn't hear about. It will never pass the local School Board's muster, which is why your should read it.
29 people found this helpful
on May 4, 2018
Awesome. Insightful. View history from the perspective of those people who are seldom recognized--the middle class and minorities. The people who really built this country. Well documented. This isn't the lifestyles of the rich and famous. A very serious read. About the people who sacrificed and suffered for their families and their country. It will make you think.
5 people found this helpful
on March 19, 2018
This is the history of the US that should be taught in all schools. This is an elegant read with the truth being told about the US and its history rather than the glossed over versions taught in our schools in the past and today. Howard Zinn is a master in his research and his writing. It is long but worth every minute spent reading it.
3 people found this helpful
on September 28, 2017
I enjoyed this book. It definitely reads like a history book and is very dense with articles, speeches, and other literature. Zinn takes first-hand accounts of different periods of times and puts them into a greater story of the history of the United States. It is a good book to read to get a different perspective of this history, one that is not usually taught in schools. I truly enjoyed learning more about this side of the United States history, and there are plenty of follow up books and articles mentioned in the book for one to explore. If you're into history, this is a good book to read. It took me about 3 months to get through this book, it was very dense. But, I would recommend!
2 people found this helpful
on March 26, 2018
Forget everything you knew about US history. Okay, maybe don't forget all of it, but be ready to be seriously challenged in your thinking about how our nation came to be. The first chapter is heartbreaking and the hits keep coming. This is really important reading.
2 people found this helpful
on August 20, 2017
A highly readable history of many of the things that happened to average Americans and are left out of most history textbooks. It explains by reflection the awful things that are still happening in America today. You'll learn that the forces which seek to deny health care to all Americans have their roots in pre-revolutionary times as well as that in his murderous, execrable career Columbus never set foot in what is today the United States much less "discovered" it.
6 people found this helpful
on March 19, 2018
Reads like a novel. I hated social studies I’m high school and I’ve developed a new found love of history. This book made history come alive and was far more authentic than what is taught in a traditional social studies class.
One person found this helpful
on May 19, 2018
This is U.S. history from the perspective of poor people. In other words, real history as opposed to political history. In that respect, it presents a view of how the prejudices and decisions of powerful people impact everyone else, which is to say, how it hurts them.