Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Percy Jackson and the Olympians Hardcover Boxed Set (Percy Jackson & the Olympians)
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now STEM

on December 14, 2011
I am ten and i love this series! Its my first favorite series! It is really interesting and exiting, unlike some of the other books i have read. I promise if you are a good reader and love books that are fun and exiting you will love this series! I have read this series 3 times (and my friend read it 28 times! no kidding!) I am planing on reading the series again sometime soon.

The series is mostly about a kid named Percy Jackson.(Ill try not to spoil it.) He finds out he is half Greek god. He goes to a place called Camp Half Blood and meets a girl named Annabeth. He also has a friend named Grover. They meet more half bloods and go on quests and fight Greek monsters. They adventure in lots of states in the the U.S, (including Los Vegas.)

If you know a lot about Greek mythology then you will understand these books more.
If you dont know much about Greek mythology then you will learn a lot about the greek gods and monsters and other interesting things.

PS: If you really like this book, or you think you will really like it, get The Red Pyramid and The Throne of Fire. They are by the same author of this series. They are alike this series but it is based on Egyptian gods instead of Greek gods. I have read both The Red Pyramid and The Throne of Fire. They will make more books. (Also read The Heros of Olympus which is an add on to this series. More are comming out.)

I would highly recomend this book to any kid.
44 comments| 173 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
If you know anything about Greek mythology, you'll know that their gods had a tendency to produce demigod kids by the dozen. And the "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" series is all about a boy who discovers that he's the offspring of a god, and the other demi-god kids that he gets to know at a very, very special camp. Rick Riordan spins a clever fast-moving adventure that mines ancient mythology and gives it a modern spin.

Percy Jackson has always been a troublemaker, but he's shocked when some truly strange things begin to happen in his life. After a minotaur attack, he learns that he's at a special training camp called Camp Half-Blood intended for demi-god children, and that his best friend Grover is actually a satyr bodyguard. Though Percy is understandably resistant to the idea, he soon makes friends in the sharp Annabeth and the bitter Luke (and enemies with the kids from Cabin Ares).

Oh yes, and he finds that he's the son of the god Poseidon... which is a problem since the "Big Three" gods have sworn an oath not to father any more kids, due to a rather ominous prophecy.

As a result, Percy finds himself in the middle of some epic cosmic battles -- he must recover Zeus' master lightning bolt before the world is thrown into chaos; he must venture into the Sea of Monsters to get Grover and the Golden Fleece; clash with the Titan Atlas; embark on a journey into the legendary Cretan Labyrinth to save the camp; and finally battles against Lord Kronos to save Olympus.

The Percy Jackson series is all a little Harry Potter in concept -- ordinary kid discovers he has magical powers, and is taught in a specialized school/camp while fighting against the forces of evil. Rick Riordan spends the first half of "The Lightning Thief" exploring the whole idea of Camp Half-Blood and the demi-god kids -- but after that, the series pretty much flows quickly to the slam-bang end.

Riordan has a snappy fast-moving style, and he peppers the story with plenty of plot twists and monstrous action. And he has quite a sharp-edged sense of humor -- the snarkiness is a bit annoying in the first chapter, but after that he produces some fun dialogue ("With great power... comes great need to take a nap"). And he does a good job with the concept of gods and monster surviving over the center of the western world, as well as spoking some fun at the gods' behavior.

I found Percy rather annoying in the first couple chapters, but Riordan slowly evolves him from a rather bratty, rebellious kid to a reluctant budding hero who will take on literally anything to keep his loved ones safe. Annabeth is an excellent counterpart to Percy, smart and measured if rather haughty in attitude, as well as the timid Grover, embittered Luke, punky Thalia and moody Nico. And the gods are portrayed in a rather clever, tongue-in-cheek way.

It has a couple slow spots, but Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympians series is a solid, fast-moving little fantasy series, with likable characters and plenty of wit.
11 comment| 149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2009
I bought this for my 10 yr olds birthday. He loved it. And I loved the price. What a bargain, compared to what you pay at the book store for just 2 hard cover books, I got all five with a great keepsake box. My son loved the secret compartment in the bottom of the box. Recieved in the time it said it would!!
11 comment| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2014
I had a couple of friends tell me to read this series a few years ago since they know that I am a fan of mythology, but I kept putting it off. Last year, I ran into someone on campus that was reading them and asked him if they were any good. He told me that they were great and that I should really give them a chance. I finally gave in and downloaded the epubs. I was instantly hooked. It took me about two weeks to read all of them.

I regret not reading these books sooner. The story is really action packed and hilarious. It was fun to watch the characters go on their adventures and evolve as individuals. I really liked the modern twist to each of the gods. Despite the fact that this book is supposed to be for kids, it's a great series for people of all ages. I got myself this box set as soon as I had a few bucks. I look forward to reading Riordan's HoO series and the Kane Chronicles.

I originally wanted to get the hardcover box set with the first edition covers, but it was too expensive. I decided to get the paperback edition with John Rocco's new art on it instead. These covers are amazing. They make me want to keep reading the books over and over again. I highly recommend these books to anyone and everyone.
review image
on October 10, 2011
My daughter read all of these and decided they were definitely keepers, so we waited until the last book came out in paperback and found this terrific boxed set. I love the boxed sets since they keep the books so nicely while they're not being read. The price was great and she's happy to have them on her bookshelf.
on December 17, 2009
I'm 25 years old and I've never been so enthralled by a children's series in my life. The books have so much action, you won't be able to put it down. The author's decision to make it a first person narrative was a brillant idea, as you are able to get a feel for Percy's personality and get emotionally involved with what he's going through. Incorporating Greek mythology into the story is a great way to sneak in some history and teach kids. They won't even realize they're learning. Looking forward to the movie as well. I suggest everyone read the books!!!!

P.S.- Be careful with Amazon. I've never had a problem with my orders from them, but they sent me the chest and it was all ripped up and severely damaged. But you can't beat the price. You're practically paying for 2 books and receiving 5. So I might just keep the books and get rid of the box. Damn shame, because it's a collectible. Beware. I'm not the only one who this has happened to.
33 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 2, 2010
I ordered the set for my son despite the multiple reviews about the box arriving damaged. Just wanted to let potential buyers know that Amazon appears to have corrected this issue. My boxed set was placed covered in bubble wrap, placed in a small box, labeled with a sticker stating "ready for shipment," and then placed in a larger box.

As far as the book goes, my 8 year old son (who is not a voracious reader) loves the series and is looking forward to the movie. Big time.
on March 3, 2015
Uploaded pic of what I got. My kid opened and read books 1 and 2. WTF?! ! Where is book 3?!? There were 2 book 4's and no book 3. Since my kid has dog eared books 1 an 2, can I even get a replacement?
review image
on July 2, 2011
If you are a fan of the Percy Jackson saga or know someone that is, then this is perhaps the perfect set of books to own or give as a gift. I purchased the HARDCOVER set and the quality of each book in the set is fantastic!!

What I love about the Percy Jackson saga is how the books are written. Despite being for the 9-12 age group I find them just as interesting at 30. Greek mythology has always been interesting to me and Rick Riordan brings it to life in spectacular fashion that could easily get kids hooked on the subject. Despite being fantasy in design, the books have a nice subtle educational aspect to them; teaching you a little about Greek Mythology throughout the adventure. Perfect for kids and adults alike I think.

Without giving to much away, Percy Jackson and the Olympians is about a 12 year old boy named Percy Jackson who turns out to be a Demi-God (the son of Poseidon) who becomes aware of the hidden world of the Gods around him. Each book follows Percy as he gets older and ventures out on a variety of adventures. What is so great about these books is the style of writing Rick Riordan uses. The books have very little filler and get right to the point. This makes for constant happenings, and despite the biggest book being only 381 pages, there is more than enough action and adventure to go around.

The books themselves, in the Hardcover set, are School & Library bound. This means the books are extra tough. The binding is exceptionally strong and the pages are also fairly durable compared to some other hardcover books I own. I decided not to get the treasure chest and instead got the standard case for the books. While it lacks the WOW factor the chest might give the packaging is still very solid. It is laminated plastic that has the cover art for "The Lightning Thief" on the front. It is sturdy as does the job of keeping the books safe and organized.

OVERALL this is a great set for the Percy Jackson Fan. The books are made with quality and durability in mind and the print on the books is clear and crisp. This set would make for a perfect gift to a fan or add to a personal collection. Rick Riordan struck gold with the Percy Jackson and the Olympians books, creating a wonderful story for both kids and adults. This box set does it justice by giving each of the books the care and quality they deserve.
on October 7, 2011
My son is in 3rd grade and 8 years old. He started to read these series and is enjoying them. I am glad they are interesting,
which is motivating him to develop the habit of reading.