Truck Reviews HPC Magazine Deals Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on May 18, 2012
This book is a valuable introduction to Ayurveda, a system for improving one's health and promoting longevity. Many of the ideas in this book are quite different from what I had previously learned and believed. But because I had many years of positive experiences with Transcendental Meditation, I decided to consider these ideas and try them. Experience has shown me that the ideas in this book are phenomenally effective.

I was prompted to write this review in response to some skeptical comments posted by other reviewers. Some reviewers see this book as the author's attempt to profitably sell other products and services. I do not believe this is the case. If valuable treatments and techniques can only be learned through personal instruction, it is helpful to know that these treatments and techniques exist, and I do not sense that the author is trying to monopolize the availability of these treatments and techniques; he merely wants people to know about them. I'm sure Dr. Chopra is financially independent and not merely advertising his services. In addition, I have heard and read so much good information from Dr. Chopra that I am convinced he is sincere.

Other reviewers have rejected the ideas in the book because they are different from what the reviewers have believed all their lives. I understand this because initially I was surprised by the different advice in this book. I advise people not to read this book unless they are open-minded and willing to consider and try some different ideas.

This book does contain plenty of good, specific advice regarding a healthy lifestyle, including diet, exercise, and rest, presented from an Ayurvedic perspective. I decided to try these ideas, and I have found that my physical health, mental health, and sense of well-being have all improved as a result.
19 people found this helpful
on August 5, 2016
Excellent book if you have an interest in natural health, peace of mind or Ayurveda. Lots of interesting things in here about how to identify which foods, behaviors and natural supplements to try to keep you specific body and mental type in balance and at peace. Really enjoyed reading it and it's very easy to read. It's not written like a textbook and it's very non-judgmental in its approach.
4 people found this helpful
on February 18, 2018
This turned out to be a very timely read, with my unexpected surgery at the beginning of the same month. It is a practical guide to harnessing the healing power of the mind as well as Auyerveda, an ancient Indian medical system. My mom had started practicing Auyerveda when I was in high school so I was familiar with the basic concepts. The original edition was published in 1991. It was revised and updated in 2001. While there are parts that feel outdated, the majority of it is timeless. The explanations are simple and clear. The recommendations are accessible and easy to follow. I found it a good beginner’s guide as well as inspiring and thought provoking.
on April 16, 2017
Ayurveda is indeed fascinating. This book merely skims the surface. Am a bit disappointed in its thin glossing over deep material. Will explore Scott Gerson et al. for more info. Sample or just plain skip this one.
3 people found this helpful
on December 25, 2017
Great book; a bit redundant at times, but a quick, fun read on basic principles of Ayurveda.
2 people found this helpful
on November 22, 2015
This book was recommended to me after trying many different diets and medical regimes to no avail. I am excited to put these principles into practice. It helped me to see that some of what I thought was okay for me really is okay for me, that I don't have to stay away from a certain food, for example, just because the latest health fad claims it is unhealthy, when it is healthy for my body type.
2 people found this helpful
on March 10, 2007
This book was recommended (prescribed) by Mary Jo Cravatta, my ayurvedic physician. The book covers a lot of ground, from the basics of ayurveda, to practical elements such as diet and basic yoga exercises, abhyanga daily massage, and the ever-important daily routine. The book has been invaluable in helping me understand my specific imbalance, and how to practically address this. I have made phenomenal improvements with my digestive problems and numerous other ailments. Ayurveda is not about a quick fix, like fixing a broken machine. It addresses the whole body as, well, an ecosystem, taking account of environment, physical body, mental body, and spiritual body. I highly recommend this book to anyone with a persistent chronic disease. You will discover that the body is always trying to maintain balance & equilibrium with its environment, like all things in nature. It is the lifestyle, habits, and daily choices that brings us out of balance over time.
9 people found this helpful
on September 10, 2017
Very informative and easy to read. I learned a lot and I enjoyed reading it. I would love to apply these things to my life. I try to do some of the techniques but others may be less practical for me. Otherwise i would recommend this book to those interested in good health. Thanks. Amazon is a great company!
One person found this helpful
on May 8, 2016
Deepak's writings are deep, profound, and based on his credentials as MD and scientist. It is very helpful in teaching about Ayurveda.
on December 15, 2017
Awesome book! Everything you need to know about Ayurveda simply written to be understood by everyone.