Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon July 22, 2011
I think this is an excellent book in how it presents a School based bullying prevention plan with the AS youngster in mind. The writing is clear and information well organised, This will be an invualuable resource for parents to share with teachers and administration. The book details excellent interventions at the school and class level for preventing and reducing the incidences of bullying in school.

However, one part that I found sadly missing was on how to prep the AS child himself on handling or facing bullying. I have found that not all teachers are open to suggestions and not all situations can be made 100% safe for my AS child. What my child really needs is to learn how to protect himself from and react to bullies. No school or teacher can ensure total safety and, frankly, there will be bullies later on in college and perhaps even in the workplace. I've even had my child's 'friends' come over to our home and verbally bully him. It is the child I want to bullyproof, not the situation.

I think that the cover of the book is misleading in that it states 'Practical solutions for surviving the social world'. The implication, to me anyway, was that the practical solutions would be for the AS child to use in his survival strategies, not for the school to implement as a way to keep him safe.

So, as a bullying prevention program this is a wonderful guide for teachers, parents and administrators. For parents looking for a life skills book to help their child, this is not going be the resource it may seem.
33 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 8, 2017
Excellent book if you area parent, grandparent, caregiver or teacher of a child with Autism. Highly recommend this book for anyone.
on November 19, 2006
Rebekah Heinrichs nails this bullying and asperger's. It's truly well written and the IEP goals, student surveys, countless stories that I kept knodding to all make this book a must have. We didn't have ANY goals last year on bullying. Who would have thought you could? We got through all the educational goals including PT, OT, Speech but never did I think of bullying. I didn't think we'd have to worry about it either but I should have listened to our autism specialist who warned us that nearly 100% of Asperger's children are bullied at some point. :( We weren't prepared last year when it started for our son and things went pretty bad. At the end of the school year last year, we had our IEP planning meeting. We copied the IEP goals from Perfect Targets and with a few minor adjustments, put ourselves in a much, MUCH better situation this year. Things aren't perfect for us but we are in a better situation to deal with the school that truly does want to help but really sometimes just doesn't understand our kids. Remember, they look soooo normal but they need so much understanding and compassion and protection too.

Get copies for your school too instead of re-ordering and paying extra for shipping.

The author has a website for support on any issues dealing with asperger's and she sometimes posts herself too!

UPDATE: What is written above was right when we were having some issues and I wasn't sure if we were headed down the same path as last year which was horrible. We've been working with the school (with the team of staff members and ourselves often referring to this book) and the bullying is almost completely gone. It took an open social worker (new one this year) to give this a chance and try something new. I think the IEP containing goals that deal with bullying makes this an issue that cannot be ignored. But I also think that having the staff read this book opened their minds. I could tell they began to realize that you don't always know who instigates and to take the 'blame' out of it and simply work with the children. Last year we felt nothing but blame on our son from the bully's parents, the kids, the staff. This year they kept an open mind and could see more clearly how things get started and get so mixed up so easily. For example: at one occasion a child was bullying my son (had been for a couple weeks) and my son just stayed away from him at recess time. My son played with another child he gets along very well with. The bully at the time went over, tried to break up their play and when it didn't work, he ran the long way around the recess area, went up to my son's aide who was out there and told her that my son was chasing and hurting him. Well, she saw the whole thing, told this boy he was not telling the truth and she told my son "I know you didn't do it." We almost had a party when we heard that one! Last year, my son would have gotten into trouble for chasing the boy because they would have believed him and not paid so much attention at recess or in the halls... PLEASE get this book!
on October 28, 2016
This book is on point for what happens to my son in middle school present day 10/28/16! I am going to recite many many passages from this book to my sons teachers and get them to see what is "really" going on in school...every time he has an outburst in school and has to leave class and go take a break at the counselor's office.
on July 6, 2014
While many of the findings and information in this book are what you would think are 'common sense' - Ms. Heinrichs brings the element of risk factors that sometimes even those who have lived through the bullying and victimization have not recognized. Simple intervention information is well thought out, however would not be entirely effective unless you have the school on the same page. If you want more in-depth intervention programs, I would recommend reviewing Bellini's materials, however this is a good read to get you started.
on September 9, 2013
The book seemed like a lot of researched pop culture and didn't seem to have any usable solutions. It was also very repetative and didn't give the depth this subject deserved. Perhaps it was written just for school administrators. Still, no usable solutions.
on March 27, 2014
This book was exactly what I was looking for...great insight, great ideas! Things I couldn't put into words! Thank You!
on August 9, 2013
GIVES GOOD ADVISE ON DEALING WITH SOCIAL PROBLEMS FOR THOSE STUDENTS WITH ASPERGERS.
AN EXCELLENT SOURCE OF IDEAS FOR STUDENTS AND PARENTS.
on March 17, 2013
great help in finding ways to protect my son from the bullies he encounters at school. A lot of good info
on August 21, 2006
this is a must have book for parents and even teachers of children with aspergers. this book has been a big help to me and my son. the children diagnosed with aspergers are the most truthful, loving children. but they are also behind their peers in maturity. this book is a tremendous help.