Lyft Check out Santa's new ride Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 24, 2011
I actually liked this book, though I am 32 and it was apparently written for teens as other reviewers already said.

This is a short book (I was able to finish it in one sitting) and even though I doubt it will really make you stop being a perfectionist, I still think it will provide you with good general information about causes and symptoms of being a perfectionist. If you read it, you'll become aware of the many ways perfectionism might express itself in your own life, and, as they saw, awareness is the first step towards cure and liberation.

I also liked the numerous examples of real life situations provided in the book, even though they were of teens--it was still relevant for an adult as well. Some parts of the book will relate mostly if not completely to teens, though. The other good thing about the book is the numerous references for further reading and exploration that the author provides.

One of the cons of the book is that it lacks really serious tools to deal with perfectionism. I've been a perfectionist all my life and I doubt that using only the tools provided in the book I'd be able to break free. Our mind is just a very tricky machine and it won't let go just that easy. After all, at the root of perfectionism lies our identification with things, achievements, and so on, and to stop this harmful habit will mean to really change the way we see ourselves and the way around us. And that is not easy. There's also the danger of approaching the very problem of being a perfectionist with perfectionism and demanding perfect results in stopping being a perfectionist. Still, the ways to deal with it, the author provides, might be helpful as general guidelines and directions of behavior.

I've given this book 4 stars because I think that overall it provides what it promises and it's an enjoyable reading overall. A good way to get to know the subject and its place in our everyday lives. A good way to see real life examples and situations and learn about what can be done about them.

I'd recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn to recognize and deal with perfectionism in their life.
on May 4, 2017
Thanks
on April 17, 2014
My eighteen year old said she read the first half, and it seemed it was written all about her. Now she is going to start reading the second half, which is about how to overcome perfectionism. She loves it.
on July 31, 2016
Great book for adolescents who tend to struggle with perfectionism.
on August 16, 2013
Gifted students, especially girls struggle with perfectionism. This book offers great suggestions for dealing with this problem. It can be read over and over with new insights gained each time.
on June 10, 2013
This is a great book on this common problem................I shared it with several relatives and friends, and they all enjoyed reading this informative, helpful book.
on December 10, 2012
Great condition, got to me in just a couple of day. My son is reading it for a class, so I didn't want to go out and buy a new one.
on February 17, 2010
Ms. Adderholdt has keen insight into people and behaviour. This is a very concise book that is helpful in so many respects.
on November 7, 2007
I purchased this book for myself...I am 37 years old. What I didn't realize until I bought the book is that it is a book written for teenagers. It is a good book, but not for a grown adult. I wished they would have specified that more in the description.
on April 17, 2010
I am perfectionist, never had strait A like they talk all over the book. It dose not mean the book is bad, it make me reflect on many things: procrastination, I never tough I was doing that. Just reading that part make me go forward.