Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 6,751 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 9,137 reviews
on March 2, 2013
I am 74 years old. The world is different now; there are more risks and more choices than when I was 15, but this movie reminded me of what it felt like to be 15 and 16 in 1954 and 1955. In those days homework was accompanied by radio with Rock and Roll music thanks to Alan Fried, Ranger hockey against Maurice Richard, and Gene Shepard,the best story teller of all time. Most of us had after school jobs which gave us enough spending money to begin making choices independent of our parents, and every day we left home and entered the world alone, with very little confidence but with the hope that everything was going to work out. Watching Charlie going through his day, observing the antics of his friends and trying to make sense of it all, brought tears to my eyes. The beauty of the movie is that it captures the universal experience of adolescence, and fortunately, as difficult as the experience may be, just like Charlie, most of us make it through.
1111 comments| 492 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2017
When this book debuted in 1999, I was working in a large chain bookstore and I was the one to unpack it. With the original green cover and simple text "MTV Books" I was intrigued enough that I read it immediately. I loved it. I came of age in the early 90s myself (like Charlie) and this book is so true to life and authentic. It remains a favorite. The film was so good, I was pleasantly surprised and less so upon finding that Chbosky had a heavy hand in its creation. I recently purchased this for a friend's teenage daughter at her request and am excited to see how she likes it.
on July 22, 2015
I have to admit that I wasn't interested in this book until I saw the trailer for the movie adaptation of it. Once I did decide to read it, I wasn't too sure what I was going to find inside it's odd cover.

I was thrown off a little at first because it's written a letter-like form. I got into it quickly, however, and almost read the entire book in one sitting.

The books rawness intrigued and captivated me in the same way as books like Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. There's a realness to the story and the characters that sometimes make me wonder if they're based on real people and events.

The book was very well written and the story was amazing. The Perks of Being a Wallflower had me chuckling at times and tearing up during others. I am dying to see the movie now. (Note: I wrote this review right when the movie came out. I have since seen and it was awesome.)

Rating: 4 Stars.
Characters: Charlie, Sam & Patrick.
on June 26, 2017
Love the book. Love the movie. GREAT Soundtrack. And the reason I love it..... I am 33. BUT NOBODY forgets the awkwardness of teenage years. SO its great. If you are a teen, it is not like most YA that is too far fetched that you don't go, hey, I relate to THAT (at least once). Acting is great. Storyline, great. Music, great.
on October 2, 2016
Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky is a book with a lot of challenging material in it. Even though these aspects are challenging, these things such as drugs, sex, abuse, and determining sexuality all come into play and are very important in this book. These topics are all very real things that should be addressed. This book really speaks to teens and adults in a way that nothing else can, it is an amazing story about the realities of high school and the world in general. In fact this book was so real, it was unlike any of the sugar coated high school books, Chbosky proves this by including “But because things change. And people leave. And life doesn’t stop for anybody”(Chbosky145) in his book. Personally I loved this book, if I didn't have to put it down, I wouldn't have. It is the kind of book that sucks you in until you are finished and wishing it was longer.
on July 6, 2017
Such brilliant writing. I will now purchase the book to read. I finished viewing "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" about a half-hour ago... and I Still have tears in my eyes. I love films that portray raw, unfiltered truth... which this film does beautifully. Superb casting, cast and direction.
on February 5, 2017
The Perks Of Being A Wallflower is a truly moving story about Charlie, a freshman in high school, who is by no means popular. He is very shy, but that all comes down to a mental issue that occurred because of something that happened when he was younger, which you will get the gist of later on in the book. The author, Stephen Chbosky, has plotted this story very well. It isn't your average book set up - Charlie writes letters to an anonymous reader known as 'Friend'. Charlie tells this person everything he does and feels, who he meets and loves. Charlie meets two outgoing outsiders that are much cooler than him, but they accept him and he finally feels included. Patrick, a gay, happy and outgoing teen, and Sam, a beautiful young woman, introduce Charlie to a new world filled with sex, drugs and The Rocky Horror Picture Show. They also show Charlie the power of music and Charlie becomes more and more music savvy. He particularly likes The Smiths and the song ‘Asleep’. Charlie goes on a rollercoaster ride full of emotions, and learns that he has the greatest friends he could wish for. If you read this story you will laugh, cry and keep reading on. It is not to be missed. Charlie will show you that high school can be enjoyed if you have the right friends and becoming a teenager isn't as scary as you think, even though it seems that way. Although, I could not relate to any of the characters in the book, it was interesting to learn about what other people might be going through. This book really opened my eyes, and made me realize that people might seem fine on the outside, but there are often bigger things going on in their lives. Charlie's story touched me, because I feel like many authors don't like to talk about the things that Charlie went through as a kid. It was a refreshingly new way of writing. I would most definitely recommend this book to a friend because I think that everyone would enjoy reading this book. If I could change something about this book, I wouldn’t change anything. Although some parts were sad, I think that the book wouldn't be half as good if anything was changed in it.  All in all, The Perks of Being a Wallflower is an easy and fun read, and I highly recommend picking it up.
on July 5, 2017
Teen angst combined with stark realism make this novel one of the strongest tales of high school existence I've ever read. Charlie, the main character of the novel, suffers from the usual anxieties of a high school freshman. But Charlie is not necessarily typical: he's very sensitive, and very disturbed by previous events from his young life.
The way the story is laid out (like letters Charlie is writing to an unknown friend) is beautiful, and the dialogue is extremely realistic.
My only complaint is that the story ended too soon. I look forward to the other stories Chbosky will tell, and hopefully, future tales will include Charlie and his travails.
Charlie (Logan Lerman), a high school freshman, is befriended by Senior student cut-up Patrick (Ezra Miller)--a guy who "puts the ass in class", according to his lovely Senior step-sister Sam (Emma Watson). At Charlie's first party Patrick introduces him to two pretty Seniors, saying he expects Charlie to receive "nice, meaningful heart-felt blowjobs from both of you". They instead feed Charlie "special" brownies, and sit around laughing as Charlie waxes poetic on the subject of high school, who finishes with the observation, "I just really want a milk shake." At the end of the party the Seniors present a touching toast to fellow-wallflower Charlie, saying "We didn't think there was anyone cool left to meet." Sam looks into Charlie's eyes and purrs, "Welcome to the island of misfit toys."

I'd love to know how you feel when Sam tells Charlie at Christmas, "I just want to make sure that the first person who kisses you truly loves you." And Charlie gets his first kiss. Magic. On the other hand Mary Elizabeth, an Overly Attached [self-appointed] Girl Friend introduces Charlie to second base, but their breakup alienates Charlie from the group until Patrick gets beaten by some high school jocks. Charlie blacks out, and comes-to standing over the prone Senior bullies! He saves Patrick, and they are all friends again. True friends. The poignant, soul-touching love they emanate makes the heart sometimes soar, sometimes break; but one always leaves each scene appreciating it's moral compass. Emma Watson is so good I actually fell in love with her character. This movie is a classic for all time.
VINE VOICEon July 30, 2014
This nifty little book, perhaps the closest thing to a turn-of-the-twenty-first-century Bildungsroman that’s ever been written, effectively depicts the angst of contemporary adolescence just before the advent of cell phones, social networking, and virtual ubiquity.

Charlie, our epistolary narrator, tells his story through letters written to an unnamed “friend.” There seems to be nothing unusual or unique about Charlie—he lives with his loving parents, his older sister and his older brother, who is away at college (Penn State, to be precise) playing football. He experiences the anxiety and unexpected joys typical of most ninth graders. He becomes friends with step-siblings Patrick and Samantha, who support him and love him and introduce him a wide variety of people. Charlie stumbles through his first crush, his first date, his first kiss.

Charlie also happens to be extraordinarily sensitive and unusually kind. It’s all very sweet and endearing. His acute sensitivity sometimes sparks odd behavior—a lack of communicativeness, aimless wandering, almost catatonia. It becomes clear that something very troubling is occurring beneath Charlie’s sweet demeanor. That something is ultimately revealed at the end of this poignant novel, and the source of Charlie’s underlying unease significantly alters our understanding of his adolescent tribulations.

Powerful, convincing, and genuine, “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” has earned its place alongside classics like “The Catcher in the Rye” and “To Kill a Mockingbird.” (The list of books that Charlie’s English teacher gives Charlie to read adds a clever postmodern intertextuality to the story).