Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 6,740 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 9,123 reviews
on March 2, 2013
I am 74 years old. The world is different now; there are more risks and more choices than when I was 15, but this movie reminded me of what it felt like to be 15 and 16 in 1954 and 1955. In those days homework was accompanied by radio with Rock and Roll music thanks to Alan Fried, Ranger hockey against Maurice Richard, and Gene Shepard,the best story teller of all time. Most of us had after school jobs which gave us enough spending money to begin making choices independent of our parents, and every day we left home and entered the world alone, with very little confidence but with the hope that everything was going to work out. Watching Charlie going through his day, observing the antics of his friends and trying to make sense of it all, brought tears to my eyes. The beauty of the movie is that it captures the universal experience of adolescence, and fortunately, as difficult as the experience may be, just like Charlie, most of us make it through.
1111 comments| 490 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 6, 2017
Reading this book for the first time will bring you back to whatever feelings you have felt throughout your high school experience no matter who you were. Chbosky was able to capture the feelings and thoughts of the perfect “wallflower” in Charlie and really reflected upon the meaning of mental health and gave a voice to the feelings of not belonging. The feelings of angst and facing how surreal life truly is is fully captured in the book through the letters that Charlie writes. The book may not have a distinct plot and will leave you with questions unanswered but I think that’s part of the beauty of reading The Perks of Being A Wallflower. Charlie’s ideas and thoughts are so profound but more often than not I find myself thinking that he’s younger than he really is.

The only critique that I could find for the book was the writing. Although beautifully written, for me it captured the mentality of a much younger student and definitely not an extremely well-read high school student. But putting that aside, Charlie’s character was so well developed and made so three dimensional that I felt like I could relate to Charlie. Being a high school student myself, the journey that Charlie underwent was one that I felt like I could relate to personally. It captured real life and didn’t leave anything out because it was uncomfortable or inappropriate. Charlie’s thoughts were so unfiltered which may have made others uncomfortable but that was what made it so true.

I highly recommend everyone to read this book no matter your age or background because it’s truly so universal for every single person. I have watched the trailer and read the first couple of pages before but never found myself interested in picking up either the film or book. But having read this (before watching the movie!) I now want to delve deeper into Charlie’s thoughts and it makes me reflect more on my own thoughts and mental health. It makes me want to stay true to who I am exactly like how Charlie is and I’m grateful to Chbosky for writing about the authentic experiences.
on April 9, 2017
To say I loved this book would be an understatement. To say that this story opens your heart would not do it justice. Charlie's coming of age story of his life is a familiar one. You may not have been the super introverted teen but maybe you did possess some awkwardness. You may not have lost your best friend but perhaps you've been around death. You may not have been molested but you struggled with your emotions at some point. The point is, the story is so relevant that it can be tailored to any individual's life. I've experienced this novel three separate times across 3 stages of my life, having a different perspective each time. I've experienced this novel as an introverted high schooler, as a depressed adult in my early twenties, and then again right before I became a graduate student. I've since listened to the audiobook an additional three times and I've seen the movie more times than I can recall. The story can be heartwarming and yet concerning. At times you'll feel so empathetic for Charlie that your hear is tearing out of your chest. You can feel what he feels. And you want for him what you feel he's so deserving of. No matter what stage of your life you're in, whether you're 15 or 45, you can place yourself in a similar situation that will have its own consequences, it's own repercussions, or its own triumph. And you will become instilled which a greater self-confidence and apprecitation for what you're doing in your own life, or what you wish to achieve, or what you're trying to dig yourself out from. This story exudes a sense of clarity through you, and you recognize that as it slowly moves along.
on April 11, 2017
I will admit that I had a hard time getting into this book. I don't know if it is because I am 45, but I could not relate to Charlie much at all. However, my student teacher is teaching it, so I forced myself to go on. I felt it got better as it went along. Charlie never seemed as authentic as I felt he should be. For one thing, his writing style did not match what a "genius" would write. I also had a problem with his constant crying. I understand why he did, and I don't have a problem with boys crying, but it seemed like he only cried, but never tried to find a way to fix things or even figure out why he was crying. However, I think teens will like this book, or at least appreciate it. I like Chris Crutcher books better.
on November 17, 2013
I agree with another reviewer, Stephen Chbosky's film should have won several Oscars, from screenplay to directing to acting. All three of the primary actors, Logan Lerman, Ezra Miller and Emma Watson were at their best in this film. Logan Lerman's Charlie is miraculous. For such a young actor to understand the power of minimalism is astonishing. I've watched the film several times, and I can't help noticing Lerman's actorly stillness. He knows that less is more, and because he seemingly does nothing, he inadvertently steals every scene he's in. It's a good stealing because Lerman is not out to steal, his attention exquisitely focused on the other actors. Their scenes are a fine example of ensemble acting. No one is out to hog a scene. Ezra Miller is an astounding actor who completely embodies the role of Patrick. He was born for this role. Emma Watson is so believable as an American senior in high school, her British accent left in England. And Logan Lerman, he too was born for the role of Charlie. His acting is all in the face, in the eyes, in the mouth. He actually listens to his friends, he looks at them, offering them himself in acts of exquisite attention, so it is no wonder that he knows exactly what to give them on Christmas. He knows his friends. Yes, the major theme to Chbosky's film is friendship, beautifully underscored in three powerful scenes, the Kissing scenes. The first scene involves Sam and Charlie. Sam has been sexually abused by men and boys. Her first kiss stolen by her father's boss when she was a mere girl. She wants something far more magical for her friend Charlie. She tells Charlie that she wants his first kiss to come from someone who loves him. She loves him, a love the Greeks would call Philia (friendly). When she kisses Charlie, she is not aware yet that Charlie's love for her is of another kind, what the Greeks would describe as Eros (romantic). Later in the film, Sam and Charlie kiss again on Sam's bed, but this time both experience romantic love, Eros (erotic). Then there is the kiss between Patrick and Charlie.
In this scene, Patrick is dejected, for he has been rejected by his male lover Brad. He wonders if he will ever meet and love a good man, and just as he articulates this, he turns and there sitting next to him is a good person. And he impulsively kisses Charlie. He instantly realizes his mistake and says, "I'm sorry." But no problem. Charlie accepts Patrick's display of love. He has already been the recipient of love from both Patrick and his step-sister Sam. It was Patrick who invited Charlie to sit with him at the football game. It was Patrick and Sam who accepted Charlie on the dance floor, forming a circle while they danced. It was Patrick and Sam who brought Charlie to his first party. This brother and sister invited Charlie into life, urging him to "participate." Charlie, therefore, loves them unconditionally, a love the Greeks call Agape. Agapetic loves does not judge, it accepts another with no strings attached. Charlie loves Patrick, and his response to Patrick's apology is simply, "It's okay."
The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a beautiful film, and it will survive. A Wonderful Life was not honored when it first came out, but it is now watched by millions every Christmas. And what are the perks of being a wallflower? To love and to be loved. Nothing can beat that!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Mr. Chbosky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on March 8, 2017
When this book debuted in 1999, I was working in a large chain bookstore and I was the one to unpack it. With the original green cover and simple text "MTV Books" I was intrigued enough that I read it immediately. I loved it. I came of age in the early 90s myself (like Charlie) and this book is so true to life and authentic. It remains a favorite. The film was so good, I was pleasantly surprised and less so upon finding that Chbosky had a heavy hand in its creation. I recently purchased this for a friend's teenage daughter at her request and am excited to see how she likes it.
on July 22, 2015
I have to admit that I wasn't interested in this book until I saw the trailer for the movie adaptation of it. Once I did decide to read it, I wasn't too sure what I was going to find inside it's odd cover.

I was thrown off a little at first because it's written a letter-like form. I got into it quickly, however, and almost read the entire book in one sitting.

The books rawness intrigued and captivated me in the same way as books like Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. There's a realness to the story and the characters that sometimes make me wonder if they're based on real people and events.

The book was very well written and the story was amazing. The Perks of Being a Wallflower had me chuckling at times and tearing up during others. I am dying to see the movie now. (Note: I wrote this review right when the movie came out. I have since seen and it was awesome.)

Rating: 4 Stars.
Characters: Charlie, Sam & Patrick.
on June 26, 2017
Love the book. Love the movie. GREAT Soundtrack. And the reason I love it..... I am 33. BUT NOBODY forgets the awkwardness of teenage years. SO its great. If you are a teen, it is not like most YA that is too far fetched that you don't go, hey, I relate to THAT (at least once). Acting is great. Storyline, great. Music, great.
on October 2, 2016
Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky is a book with a lot of challenging material in it. Even though these aspects are challenging, these things such as drugs, sex, abuse, and determining sexuality all come into play and are very important in this book. These topics are all very real things that should be addressed. This book really speaks to teens and adults in a way that nothing else can, it is an amazing story about the realities of high school and the world in general. In fact this book was so real, it was unlike any of the sugar coated high school books, Chbosky proves this by including “But because things change. And people leave. And life doesn’t stop for anybody”(Chbosky145) in his book. Personally I loved this book, if I didn't have to put it down, I wouldn't have. It is the kind of book that sucks you in until you are finished and wishing it was longer.
on July 6, 2017
Such brilliant writing. I will now purchase the book to read. I finished viewing "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" about a half-hour ago... and I Still have tears in my eyes. I love films that portray raw, unfiltered truth... which this film does beautifully. Superb casting, cast and direction.