Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 596 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,021 reviews
on September 21, 2017
Satrapi's comic book is in some ways predictable -- it is a classic coming of age story with some new trappings. But the new trappings are something I've never had to understand before: a young contemporary Iranian woman finding herself between ideologies, emotions, and the European and Iranian world. Her perspective is honest, straightforward, and revealing -- I admire her courage to depict herself committing a very despicable act to save her bacon from Iranian watchdogs (and it also showed that, no matter the culture, making your grandmother disappointed in you is about the worst thing a human being can do).

I'll admit that the latter half of the book, with Marjane grown up, doesn't quite have the same fiery pop as the half surrounding her younger self, a bold pipsqueak learning the realities of war. But I'll forgive Satrapi for the wonderful illustrations, and for taking the opportunity to spend a page of setup for a genital joke. It's a good book that can be heartbreaking and bawdy at the same time.
on September 13, 2017
This clever book is a kind of a memoir slash graphic novel slash comic book that’s essentially a coming-of-age story about a girl growing up in Iran.

I really enjoyed this book and found it really interesting and thought-provoking. Although it sort of appears to be a light-hearted read, it gets into some serious stuff at times and really gives you some perspective.

Overall, I highly recommend this book to both young adult readers and adults alike.
on March 11, 2017
I had never read a graphic novel before and wasn't sure if I would like it. I found that it was easy and very enjoyable. The story is very good and keeps your attention. I am old enough to remember the overthrow of the Shah of Iran, but this gives a new perspective. The storyis from a little girl's perspective. Worth the read.
on May 13, 2015
The story itself, an autobiography in a very artistic form, is very fascinating and deep. The story follows this girl's journey in discovering herself and life, the ways of the world. The perspective of the journey is only intensified by the fact she was being raised in middle of revolutions and wars. The terrifying aspect of this was watching as she was convinced, re-convinced then “corrected” by adults on how to think, and believe.

The artwork itself was an amazing representation of her progression and self discovery in such dark times and horrible experiences. The artwork in time, especially nearing the end started to lighten up, however the constant overall tone is darkness, a twisted perception I believe is likely the result of living and growing up with war, oppression and death a constant companion.
The art style is completely unique to me, someone who reads lots of comics, manga and watches many forms of cinema. This dark style really drives the emotional, political, religious and human aspects of this person life experiences deep into my mind.
on June 3, 2014
I have the original hardcover versions of these books, and purchased this set for a friend. It's an attractive package with the box, which makes the softcover versions look a little spiffier.

I'm not a huge fan of the graphic novel, but Persepolis and its sequel, Persepolis 2, I can recommend wholeheartedly. The illustrations are a stark black and white which set the perfect tone for this story of one woman's experience of the Islamic revolution in Iran. Satrapi's account of how the new theocracy affected her family and changed the course of her life is depressing, but fascinating. Many memorable characters (including herself!) are brought vividly to life despite the constraints of the graphic novel format, and Satrapi brings a wonderful wit and humor to this tale of woe that keep it from becoming too grim.

The first volume focuses on Satrapi's rebellious childhood and the integrity and courage of the extended family members who inspired her. One can only hope that Iran has many more girls like her who will ultimately be the downfall of the current misogynistic regime.

The second volume in Satrapi's coming of age tale begins with her family sending her to Europe to continue her education. Being away from her family for the first time, adjusting to a new culture, and struggling with the universal adolescent identity crisis are the focus here. There are painful moments, poignant moments and hilarious moments.

Over the course of the two volumes of Persepolis, Satrapi shows us her metamorphosis from rebellious child to crazy, mixed-up youth, to strong cosmopolitan woman. It's a great story in a beautiful package.
on February 9, 2016
This book was completely mesmerizing. I just wanted to keep reading it until I finished. Satrapi's black and white illustrations really draw you in, and something about their simplicity works well with the story. Other reviews describe this a bit better than I do.

I only wish I understood politics a bit more, as that part of the story was a bit harder for me to comprehend. If you're in that same boat, I would recommend reading up a bit on Iran's political history to help with that.
on September 22, 2016
I read the first Persepolis book in high school which really opened my eyes up to the world of graphic novels. It was my first experience with an author vividly telling a story through drawings, besides comics or children's picture books I read when I was little. There is something really special about reading someone's words and actually being able to see what emotions and feelings they are trying to convey.

I bought this book for my friend and hoped that she would have the same experience as me. The quality of the book was great and I received it in perfect condition in the mail.
on February 1, 2017
Already saw the movie I believe, so I cant wait to read the book. I would definitely recommend this to friends, it's a great book, interesting art detail. I read Persepolis 1 in high school and I'm reading it again in college.
on April 5, 2017
i love this book, i've read it before as two books but bought this as a gift. I def recommend the book itself, especially as one book instead of two physical books. will do business again
on February 26, 2013
I saw the movie based on Marjane Satrapi's childhood and young adult experiences years ago, but both her "Persepolis" books fill in the gaps. "Persepolis 2" begins when Satrapi has left Iran to be educated in Vienna. She shows with wisdom and humor the culture shock a young person experiences. However, the book shows how the protagonist fell prey not only to the temptations of sex but drugs as well. She had even dealt drugs for a time.
Back in Iran, Satrapi must readjust to a more repressive government. One "fill-in" is that she was arrested at one time for simply wearing red socks! The film ended with the impression that Satrapi never returned to Iran, but the book tells us otherwise, and that she had seen her wise grandmother one last time before she died.