Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 747 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 964 reviews
on September 7, 2016
I've heard a ton of great things about the Persona series, and P4Golden was my first Persona game. This game was SO FRIGGIN' AWESOME it made me go play Persona 3 (portable version, it's great btw). But Persona 4 Golden is a system seller, and easily worth the around 80 hour experience. Trust me, it'll fly by. First off, Golden is a remaster of Persona 4 for the PS2; I personally didn't play the original, but from what I've seen, Golden has better graphics, and added scenes, which are basically just fun trips to the beach or ski mountain. But, regarding the story, it's a murder mystery that takes place in a small town which you visit for a year. You'll make social links with friends and party members, and these social links increase as you spend time with friends. But yeah, the mystery is fun and has MANY twists, and will leave you thinking. The game itself looks great, and it has animated scenes that look great. The music is AMAZING. It sounds great; it can be cheery, sad, and creepy. The gameplay is classic turn-based battles, and it's kinda like pokemon. You can attack regularly, but your Personas have elements that can be used to weaken enemies and deal more damage. Take advantage of it. But, in the end, Persona 4 Golden is an amazing game, and you should totally play it!
on March 27, 2017
Persona 4 Golden was a great play on my Vita and if you own a PS VITA, you owe it to yourself to own a copy of this game. For full disclosure, I'm not a huge fan of modern Japanese style role playing games (odd considering that I own a vita). Many of them do a rather lousy job of actually letting you take on an actual "role" and carry you forward on rails to the next turn-based battle sequence or flashy cut-scene that lasts way too long. Persona 4 was a game that actually made me feel like things that I chose mattered in the grand scheme of story outcome.

Without getting into spoilers, you basically choose just about everything that your character avatar and team accomplish every day. This leads to some pretty interesting choices because you won't always be able to do everything that you want to do in a day, and depending on the game day, you may not have a chance to do something the next day. The "best" choices aren't always obvious and you will not be able to do everything possible on one play through. While new game plus sometimes feels like an artificial way of extending some games in the Japanese genre, I found myself eager to start up another play through just to try a bunch of different things that I didn't get around to in play one and see if there were any other secrets that I missed.

Gameplay itself is pretty tight and good. The combat is fairly comfortable if you've ever played a Final Fantasy game or any other typical RPG, with some interesting twists on how "spells" work. The crafting system for your abilities is pretty fun and you can make some interesting new combinations. Defeating the enemies takes some thinking on harder difficulties and it isn't a cake walk if you are playing on a more difficult setting than the medium one.

The day to day "role playing" is pretty great. A friend once said to me that this game was a Japanese high school simulator for much of the time, and I wondered how that could even be fun. As someone well out of high school, I wasn't sure that I would find this anything other than silly/tedious. I was happy to find that I was wrong and my initial expectations were way too cynical. The characters are all well done and voice acted and you find yourself actually liking them quite a bit. There's a great mix of comedy and seriousness that makes the game entertaining to run through. Even the side characters are pretty interesting, and your school and home life end up being fun to play through when you aren't working on the main story quests.

The other technical aspects of the game are great too. For a Vita game, the graphics and animations look nice, and the soundtrack is very good. Voice acting and animations link up well, and there are a few "anime" style cutscenes here and there that are mercifully short, but seem to fit the story pretty well, and play smoothly.

My limited complaints and caveats to the game would be that combat can get a bit repetitive once you've figured out your optimum builds and spells. The journey to that point is pleasurable, but there comes a point where if you find a really effective load out, battles will play out quite the same each time in a dungeon set. However, I can't think of any role playing game where this wouldn't be an issue if you've mastered the system, so it is what it is.

My other quibble with the game is that some types of trophies are locked behind new game plus or require highly specific choices in order to complete. I personally don't care too much if I platinum a Playstation game, but folks that are looking to complete achievements may balk at the need to complete the game multiple times to tick the boxes.

None of my complaints take away from the fact that this game deserves high praise and is one of the best games available on the PS Vita. There is way more than 20 dollars worth of enjoyment in this little cartridge and even if you are not that keen on Japanese style role playing games, this game belongs on your must play list. If you do enjoy JRPGs, then this is a no-brainer.

If I absolutely had to rate it, I'd say it should get a 90-92 on the 100 scale. It's not perfect, but it's a great experience and one that I'm glad that I took a chance on.

Highest recommendation.
on December 2, 2014
If you've played Persona 3 and loved it - get this game.
If you enjoy RPG's - get this game.
If you enjoy JRPG's - get this game.
If you love and appreciate thorough and extensive story lines, deep immersion in characters and dialogue options, and tons and tons of player choice, various activities, and both action and social experiences - yep, you guessed it... get this game.

P4G is the ultimate way to play Persona 4 as it adds additional characters and story line depth. Additionally, the game itself is astounding. I easily put in 57 hours into my first play-through and I am preparing to give it a new round in New Game Plus.

The battling system is extensive and reminiscent of Pokemon. The social link aspect is hilarious, captivating, and ridiculously enjoyable. The amount of player options and choices is ridiculous. I really can't praise this game enough. Furthermore, the menu's and overall aesthetic of the game is of the highest quality. The graphics and animated cut scenes and, in my opinion, the voice acting is excellent as well.

I've been gaming for over 18 years now and P4G is without a doubt in my top 10 favorite games of all time.
on September 12, 2016
L'intronisation de Persona 4 au Panthéon des jRPG ne doit rien au hasard, comme se charge de nous le rappeler cette version Vita. En s'aventurant derrière les écrans du Midnight Channel, le joueur se laissera porter par une enquête riche en rebondissements, découvrant tour à tour le quotidien-type d'un lycéen japonais, la mécanique précise d'un gameplay affiné au fil des épisodes, et une bande de cas sociaux avec qui il finira pas se lier d'amitié.

LES PLUS

With multiple endings

THE LESSERS ----
Concept repetitive by nature
A technique inherited from the PS2

The enthronement of Persona 4 the Hall of JRPG is not by chance, as is responsible for reminding us that version Vita. By venturing behind the screens of the Midnight Channel, the player will leave wearing a eventful investigation, discovering in turn the daily deviation of a Japanese high school student, the precise mechanics of a gameplay refined over the episodes, and a social event band with whom he not eventually become friends.

sorry for my bad English
on June 21, 2017
Persona 4 perfects on the anime themed high school sim / dungeon crawling formula most notably laid down in Persona 3. Where Persona 4 succeeds is in presenting a murder mystery with a whole lotta heart and an infectious upbeat feeling that makes the highs high and the lows low. It's hard not to feel for the various characters as you become intimate with their hopes, dreams and darkest secrets. Persona 4 asks if you can face your inner demons at one moment then presents a heart wrenching dilemma between hanging out with your friends or going out for ramen.

You'll easily lose yourself in 100+ hours of solid JRPG complete with a bonus dungeon, some new endings and easily the most wholesome entry in the Persona series to date.
on August 13, 2015
This game is a really great visual novel meets JRPG. Tons of fun characters and a really intriguing story that I would stay up way too long investing time into before I realized that I probably needed sleep. I, initially, played the PS2 version of this game about a week before purchasing the Vita version (which I played on the PS TV, which I payed for... totaling $60 altogether with this game which was a GOOD DEAL, if only for this game).

I loved the game before learning that P4G was essentially the DEFINITIVE EDITION of the same game. Loads more of events that fleshed out the characters more, more anime cut scenes which I enjoyed, and enjoyed the new Social Links and night time stuff. IMPORTANT: IF YOU'VE PLAYED THE PS2 VERSION AND ARE LOOKING AT THIS ONE - you can CHOOSE what skills your Persona will get when you fuse them. It such a HUGE change that reduced SO MUCH STRESS and gave me 30 hours of my life back for this playthrough.

Generally, they made the game a lot easier to manage everything to Social Links to Dungeons. Except Gold Hands. Gold Hands legitimately frustrated me finally.

As for the game as a whole, the story follows Yu (or whatever you decide your character name to be) and his transferring to Inaba due to family reasons. A series of murders occurs roughly the same time he arrives and it seems to involve the rumored Midnight Channel. It's a fun mystery with a satisfying resolve while mixing in talking to friends, building up your stats and enjoying the town of Inaba. And on the dark side of things, going into the TV, facing yourself to claim your Persona and fighting multiple Shadows to search for the truth and rescue people along the way.

I am curious since this is my introduction into the series, but I haven't really played anything like this before. I had moments where I planned DAYS to hang out with particular people for a few reasons. I liked these characters and also hanging out with these people affected your ability to make stronger Personas for the dungeons. I was surprised how valuable it was to just try to get your Social Links up so you can level up your Personas earlier and get them better skills. And with your Investigative team, they learn new abilities as well to help fight along side you better. GALACTIC PUNT, YO!

Dungeons themselves are fun, randomized each time you re-enter a floor so they are 95% random. There are specific floors that will stay the same, but generally they won't. Shadows are encountered in dungeons, not random encounters, which give you a chance to get an attack advantage if you hit them from behind... and same goes for them, if they hit you from behind or first without you reacting they'll get an attack advantage. UTILIZE THIS. Each Shadow tends to have a weakness to a particular element which you can use to gain an additional turn. It's a fun mechanic that I feel is unique to the Shin Megami Tensei series, including Persona. Might have resistances of varying degrees.

Stylistically, this game is stellar. I love the presentation because it is tonally consistent ALL the way through, I feel. Really upbeat music, which I was surprised to really enjoy and continue to listen to past completion. Everything feels super slick. It's got some good UI.

I don't have many complaints. I feel like any rough edges were refined from the original release. Can be confusing to get some Personas without a guide or to progress some quests. Occasionally tedious quests.

The expected average playtime through this game is about ~100 hours, more if you REALLY invest in the Social Linking and Levelling. I have spent 140+ on this version. I highly recommend it. If you're me... dangerously addicting.
on January 27, 2015
Been playing this game for the past week and it's extremely addicting! Read all of the great reviews about it beforehand, but even so I don't know how I never played the original on PS2. This game has a lot going for it.

The combat is turn-based, but you can get extra turns for a character on your team if you land a critical hit or strike an enemy's weak point. You fight using the strengths of beings called Persona's, which are essentially demons. As your character levels up you can fuse the Personas you collect to create even stronger Personas.

Another interesting feature is social links. As you meet and spend time with specific characters in the game, you obtain experience for Arcana related to that character (an Arcana is essentially what class a persona falls into). This later allows you to gain special abilities for some of your character's Persona's and extra levels for a Persona you're creating through fusion that is within that Arcana. You can also gain stat increases to your main character by doing certain tasks.

It's worth noting that a large majority of the tasks your perform consume a portion of a day. There are a lot of tasks you can do each day but there's not enough time to do everything so you need to prioritize your tasks. As I said earlier, there's a lot to do in this game aside from combat.

I'd like to explain every aspect of this game, but there's a lot of reviews that explain it better than I could, so I'll leave it at this. Persona 4: Golden is one of the best JRPGs I've ever played, even one of the best games I've ever played. I highly recommend it for anyone who owns a Vita and even as someone who's thinking of getting a Vita and doesn't know which game to start with.
on July 16, 2017
Even though I have never truly been a fan of JRPG's, I decided to try out this game on the Vita based on its amazing five star ratings and thank goodness I did. It became one of my favorite games on the portable console with its different take on the JRPG genre of mixing dungeon crawling/turn-based combat with a Sims-like relationship system all wrapped in an intricate murder mystery drama with some Japanese teen angst. One great aspect of the game is that you do not need to know anything about the other Persona games to enjoy this game since this contains a completely different story and characters though many gameplay mechanics are similar between the games. Although it is a very long game with over 80+ hours of gameplay that takes dedication to finish, it truly solidified me as a true fan of the Persona series and I hope that you too fall in love with characters in their long journey.
review image review image
on October 4, 2015
One of the best games available on Vita? -- Most definitely.
One of the best games ever made? -- Quite possibly.

Persona 4 is quite simply one of those games that hits all the high notes. It has fantastically lovable characters, beautiful scenery and striking visuals (particularly on the OLED Vita), awesome combat, and an engaging narrative. For me, it's safe to say that even for those who aren't traditionally fans of JRPGs, Persona 4 is most certainly worth looking into as it has a lot to offer. My first play-through of the game took nearly 100 hours. A daunting amount of time to say the least, and yet, as somebody who generally finds it difficult to finish games, I wished it was longer. Thankfully, a new game plus mode is provided.

As far as gameplay is concerned, the bulk of Persona's action is found within its dungeon crawling sequences and Pokemon-esque style gameplay. You are able to have a team of 12 Personas to control, and each is able to learn 8 moves. Your arsenal is of course in addition to your party members and their personas. The gameplay really lends itself well to the portable nature of the Vita, and feels perfect. The other half of Persona 4 is presented through visual novel type scenes where you as the player, are able to advance through the story and connect with the characters.

For those on the fence concerned about the story, Persona 4 has a standalone story not related to the previous three main entries. So have no fear, feel free to hop right in!

All in all, Persona 4 is easily one of the most captivating experiences I have ever had with a video game. It is also one of the rare cases where I'd consider a game a true masterpiece. I strongly recommend it!
on January 20, 2014
I never played a persona game before, but since this one received such great reviews, I decided to give it a shot. The first half hour of this game got me really worried but then I fell in love with it.

******************************Pros**************************************

-Very unique RPG game play: This game has two types of gameplay system. One you go to dungeons, fight monsters and bosses , collect treasures. Second, as a school boy you interact with your friends, family and others in your town. I knew I liked dungeon and fighting gameplay but I was surprised by how much I ended up social linking gameplay in this game. While I was a bit worried at first about the social gameplay, it becomes very addictive as it boosts the experience of personas (your monsters) you create.

-Strategic Battles: This game is turn based JRPG where you can control each of the characters (like FFX) or you can choose to control only main character and give basic commands to your team mate (like FFXIII?). Like typical RPGs enemies are weak and strong against elements, but figuring out which enemy is weak is where this game challenges you. In addition it has unique persona (monsters) gameplay.

-Persona (Monster) Concept: This is the most unique thing about this game. You and your friends have ‘persona’ (in simple words, monster that help you fight in the dungeons. Really liked how you can grow these personas by traditional RPG grinding tactics (leveling up in dungeons) as well as through social linking (spending time with the characters in the game).

-Creating Strong and Unique Personas Experience: This is an art of its own in this game. You, unlike your buddies in the game can have multiple personas and by combining them you can create even more powerful and unique personas (monsters). This can make this experience very strategic as well as addicting.

-Mysterious Main Story and Involving Sub-stories: Usually I find interacting with other characters (i.e going to them and talking to them) boring in most RPGs but in this game it is quite fun and useful. This game has a very mysterious and involving main story and each character you link with will lead you to sub-stories. So if you like story driven games, this is the game for you.

-Great Animation: Really liked both the in game animation and anime cut scenes. Really wished there were more of the cutscenes. They were pretty amazing. Really loved how they show character expression (question mark, cloud, perspiration over the head etc.).

-Mainly Innocent and yet at times Mature Humor: There are events in this game that made me laugh so hard (camping trip, club etc.) Definitely worth experiencing.
-Music: It is very rare I praise music in a game. But loved different types of music played in the game. Really loved the dungeon final boss music in the ‘game world’.

-Unlocking True Ending: I am happy I learned about this online otherwise I would have missed out a lot. Really loved it.

******************************Cons**************************************

-Slow and Somewhat Misleading Beginning: The first half or so hour of the game, I was worried as it was filled with story and no dungeon fights or anything. I was worried that this was not one of the social games where all you do is talk, but later on the game, I couldn’t get enough of the story. I would quickly finish dungeons to advance the main story and sub-stories with different characters.

-Easily miss-ables: Unfortunately like many other RPGs , there are some great things you will miss out on if you don’t pay attention to all the instructions that are being given to you. Especially for me for the first half of the game I didn’t pay any attention to improving social links with Marie and Margaret. I am happy I bumped across an online discussion about true ending. Otherwise I would have missed out a lot.

******************************Conclusion**************************************

If you are an RPG lover and have a Vita, you must buy this game. I will even go far enough to say that if you are an RPG fan and don’t own Vita, buy one (or borrow from your friend) to play this game otherwise you will be missing out on one of the greatest RPG and storytelling experience ever.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.