Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pet Gear Travel Lite Bi-Fold Full Ramp for cats and dogs up to 150 pounds, 66-inch, Black/Blue
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

Size: Full Length Bi-Fold|Color: Black/Blue|Change

on August 14, 2014
I have an 8 year old, 120 lb lab. I tried to research this product as best as I could before purchasing. However, I couldn't find a solid video showing this ramp being used. There are a few videos out there but they mainly used a slide show of pictures. So here are my thoughts on this ramp and hopefully it helps someone. First off, I am attaching it to a 2013 Ford Edge, Sport Edition. There is a strap with a ring to secure the ramp to your vehicle. I tightened it as much as possible but it was still too long. I found if I attached it to a side clasp I had a little more bumper room for the ramp to sit. That is why you see it on one side in the video. I do plan on fixing this issue with a shorter, more sturdy strap. The one that comes with the ramp, in my opinion, will not stand the test of time with my large dog. Moving on...It took some time getting Johnny, my dog, comfortable with using the ramp. You can see in the video there are some scratch marks on the ramps surface. That is from previous failed attempts at Johnny trying to figure out the thing. (The surface is rough like sand paper but Johnny didn't seem bothered by it.) With lots of positive reinforcement and some yummy dog treats Johnny got the hang of walking up and down the ramp in about 15 minutes. (Because of the slope my car was parked on, he felt confident jumping in the back of my car in the video. He did go up the ramp when it was parked at different angles but I didn't get that on video.) This is only the first day Johnny has used the ramp. I'm only giving it 4 stars because I am concerned about the longevity of this product and the strap that came on it was of poor quality. I like that it is light-weight and being a petite 30-something - it is easy for me to handle. I look forward to traveling a lot easier with my sweet boy. Thanks for taking the time to read this and watch the video. Good luck with your future purchase.
review image
11 comment| 210 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2012
Bought this because we have 2 erderly dogs, a beagle and a mixed breed about 22 lbs. We use it to get them into the back of a Saturn VUE. For a vehicle of this height, it should be longer. The incline is a little steep making a little difficult for the dogs to use even with the non-skid surface. For a lower vehicle, it would probably be fine. Initially, we had to coax the dogs up it with a dog treat. However, it has a plastic latch to keep it from unfolding when picked up and the latch broke already. It is also a little more bulky than we anticipated.

Forgot to mention that I purchase the 66" ramp.

Update: I emailed the manufacturer, provided the model number, and asked if I could obtain a replacement latch. They sent sent me 2 new latches free of charge. Excellent customer service!
11 comment| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2010
This ramp was the real answer for us, I was lifting my 80lb lab into the car twice a day to go for walks. Now she is able to walk right up and into the back seat. She is very comfortable with the ramp and seems to enjoy the new independence it has provided her. You do need to closely supervise because it is narrow, it works for us because the door is on one side and I'm on the other. I have no complaints, I wish I had purchased it earlier.
11 comment| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 19, 2010
My senior dogs are ages 11 and 12. They ride in the back seat of my SUV and while they can still hop up into the backseat, after a lot of activity they need a rear end boost from me to get in the SUV. I finally decided to get a ramp after one of my dogs had surgery. With more vet visits on the horizon I need an gentler way for him to get in/out of the car.

I purchased the 42" half ramp because my dogs enter my Xterra from the side door - the height is not as tall as the rear hatch entry and thusly I would not need the longer 72" length of the full ramp. I chose the "Travel Lite Bi-fold Half Ramp" vs the "Bi-fold Half Ramp" because it was several inches narrower and weighed a few pounds less. In all photos I've seen of this ramp in use, it seems as if it were made for minivans with their wide door entry. I was worried that I may not be able to use the half ramp because the door opening of my SUV may not open wide enough, also the tire well cuts into the flat level surface in the doorframe upon which to lean the ramp. Turns out I have 2 places to use the ramp successfully... the ramp works perfectly when placed on the running boards of the truck. And I could also use the front passenger side with no problem as the door opens just wide enough to lean the ramp. The dogs have no problem entering or exiting the vehicle using the ramp.

The ramp is sturdy and rugged and the non slip surface is very very gritty. It's definitely a toothy surface that a dog will not slip on... I think that even in the rain, the surface would remain non- slip. It's a bit heavier than I anticipated, but I think it needs to be to safely support weight. One small gripe is that I do feel that the integrated handle could be designed better for a more secure grip when carrying. I am very pleased with my purchase and was happily surprised when Amazon delivered it the next day as opposed to 2-day.
22 comments| 114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2013
This ramp is incredible! I searched and searched for the best ramp, and I am so glad I found this one. I have two elderly dogs, one weighs 80lbs and the other one is 50lbs. I am certainly not going to pick them up to get them in and out of the back of my RAV4, and I needed a ramp that was long enough to the ground so they could use it ok with their arthritic legs. Every dog is different, but since the ramp isn't very wide, my dogs took just a few minutes to understand they could use it. (They fit on it just fine, they're just easily freaked out. LOL) I wouldn't want the ramp any wider either because that would make it bigger and not as easy to store. So after just a few minutes of coaxing, my always antsy dogs made their way up to the car. I love that the ramp has carpet and not that sandpaper stuff like other ramps, and it holds pretty sturdy on the bumper as well as the pavement. Since my back door opens sideways, I can't use the little attached strap with the clip on the end of it. But that's ok, because there are two open holes on each side, and I connect a bungee cord to each one and the other end of the bungee latches on nicely to the hooks inside the cargo area (above the tire). And it all stays in place, I don't even have to hold it! (Of course, I do anyway, for the dogs' safety.)

My only complaint is I wanted the handle to be like a luggage-type handle on the outside of the ramp so I could easily carry it around. The built-in handle is basically a hand-grip molded into the plastic... but even with my carpal tunnel hands, this lightweight ramp is easy for me to carry! All in all, TOTAL WIN. So it still gets 5 stars.

Seems sturdy enough, reasonable price (comparatively), lightweight, and the carpet is better on the paws than sandpaper. Highly recommended!
on August 18, 2013
With modification, this ramp works well for my dachshund to walk up on to the couch rather than leaping & injuring her .

Like Pet Gear's Free Standing Ramp, this ramp's installed carpet is not quite plush enough or attached to the ramp well enough to make the dog feel secure. The height and the sturdiness of the product for my small dog to access the couch/chair is ideal.

I modified the ramp by bolting a piece of remnant deep pile carpet in place of the factory installed carpet. A drill bit drills easily through the plastic frame, fender washers anchor the carpet in place where the carriage bolts insert through the carpet & frame, and regular nuts holds each bolt in place.

Once I had the carpet bolted down, my dachshund could walk leisurely up/down the ramp confidently. (Before the modification, she sort of lurched up/down because the she could not trust her footing on the ramp).

Any DIY person can handle this modification, or, any handyman can knock it out quickly. The expense of a handyman would have been much less then the expenses incurred from the dog injuring her spine.

Also, with the same modification, the Free Standing Ramp by Pet Gear is equally effective at allowing the dog to access the bed safely.
on July 11, 2013
Bought this for my dachshund who is recovering from a spinal injury. Out of the box I loved it: perfect size, folds easily, and appeared perfectly functional and safe. My dog was leery of it and would not use it on her own, but we coached and bribed her with praise/treats thinking she just needed to get used to it. The first time she went up it independently she lost her footing at the top and fell on her back! The same thing happened the next day- needless to say I’m returning it. The carpet is so slick she would lose traction if she stopped or hesitated on the ramp. Poor choice of material!
on January 28, 2014
purchased this to make things a bit easier on my dog (greyhound), he need to climb into the back of my Ford F150 Super Crew pick-up. One concern is the back doors do not open all the way (like most back doors on vehicles) so the ramp had to be narrow enough for him to make the climb while dodging the door. Seems to be just the right width for the job. I'm posting photos to show the way I'm using it for my truck. Now from the ground to the top of the backseat is about 40 inches, which is quite a distance for any dog. As you can see I put the ramp on the running board of the truck (not the vehicle floor or seat) to reduce his climb by over a foot. Took a little while to get him used to it but now he uses it like a champ. Fold up easily to put in the back of the truck or it even fits nicely behind the front seat. The ramp grips the ground well but for an extra measure I wedge my foot against the base when he goes up or down the ramp. The green grip tape is adhered well for great traction, no paw slips as of yet. Just a side note...I went with the shorter bi-fold instead of the longer version in case someone parked close to me.
review image review image review image
on January 30, 2011
This is a very strong and durable product which easily accomodates my older 80 pound dog. He is ramp trained and really gets a good grip, even when wet, since the surface is very gritty and it appears it will not wear off anytime soon. It folds in half and has a lock to keep it folded. We are using it on the side door sill of my 2007 Honda CR-V and I am very pleased with this purchase. The delivery time was excellent. This ramp would not be long enough, in my opinion, to use on the rear hatch door sill, especially on a larger SUV - order the longer one for that purpose so that the incline is gentler and easier on the joints when comimg down.
on November 25, 2012
Bought this ramp for my 95 lb Labrador. After a short time, he refused to go up the ramp due to its sagging at the hing section in the middle. The ramp was pretty flimsy and while it technically supported his weight, my dog was not comfortable using it. Bought him a metal telescoping ramp (no hinge) and he loves it. It weighs as much as this plastic ramp, but is much sturdier and my dog sprints up and down it.
33 comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse