Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Josh Ritter PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 372 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 902 reviews
on November 7, 2016
Pet Sematary has always been one of my favorite Stephen King stories. I’m still terrified just thinking about certain scenes from the movie. I hadn’t read the book since I was a kid so I figured I was long overdue for a re-read.

This is, famously, the book that King himself considers the most frightening he has ever written. He has expressed regret over publishing it, claiming that it’s too dark, too bleak, that it goes too far.

I understand why he feels that way. Reading Pet Sematary as an adult has been a horrifying experience. I’m now at a point in my life where I have an acute fear of mortality—both my own and that of those I love. Pet Sematary exploits that very fear.

We all know what it’s like to lose a loved one. What if there was a way to bring them back? Would you do it, even if it meant opening a door into the depths of darkness and terror? We all want to feel like we have some semblance of control, like we’re not at the whim of an indifferent universe where death can strike at any time. But at what cost?

As Pet Sematary’s Louis Creed grapples with these very questions, we feel an overwhelming sense of dread. We know tragedy and horror await he and his family, and all we can do is sit back and watch it unfold, secretly hoping that if given the chance, we wouldn’t make the same mistakes. After all, as Louis’s neighbor Jud warns, “sometimes dead is better.”

Pet Sematary had me in its grip from the first few pages and never let up. It’s a masterful story about death, love, grief and the hopelessness of trying to escape the will of the universe.
on April 6, 2015
I read this book first as a teenager, and it scared the heck out of me - I had a hard time sleeping for a week, and I constantly jumped at shadows, especially whenever I saw our family cat slink around outside. There's just something about this story that wouldn't let go of me, even years later, I could remember phrases from the book "Hey ho, let's go", for example, or the concept of "sour ground" and the power of Native American burial places.

I decided to get it for my kindle, and I have to say, it's just as scary now as it was back then, if not worse, especially since you become aware as you get older that there are things around you which you cannot see or hear, but are there nonetheless. Some folk have said it's a slow book, and it can be if you don't feel the psychological tension from book events building in you, one thing upon another.

Far as I'm concerned, this is the one of King's books that resonate with me the most, The Shining being the other. He truly is a master of horror fiction.
on July 28, 2017
Really Enjoyed this book and I'm not typically a horror fan. Was surprised at how much the story took on the subjects of inability to cope with loss, grief, and one's own mortality aside from being a horror story. Took on some challenging subject matter and wrote it as well as anyone can possibly attempt put the subjects of death and grief into words. Was really disturbing in parts, but I couldn't put it down. Would totally recommend.
on August 26, 2017
I wouldn't define this book as scary. It is very dark though and very enjoyable (enjoyable in the way that one likes to read about serial killers and dark fairy tales). The book is far better than the film; I still have questions about certain aspects of the book but maybe that is the magic of the book - not having a full certainty. If you want a good read, this is the book.
on October 11, 2015
Louis Creed and his young family move to rural Maine for his new job. The family is excited to get a fresh start and live a simpler life than they did in the city. Their new home is in close proximity to a pet cemetery which they find humorous at first but as the months pass the Creeds are unwittingly drawn into a tenebrous world of ancient burial grounds and necromancy.

I didn't expect to enjoy this book because the title seemed childish but it was very interesting. King uses the supernatural to highlight the different ways people feel about death and handle the grieving process.

The mythology on which the book relies was not explained or developed in enough detail which became frustrating particularly towards the end. This was also disappointing because the premise is very good and King starts off promisingly but his execution falters as the book progresses. The biggest problem with this book is that it is just not scary. A lot of the scary sections just fell flat and also lacked creativity.
on March 9, 2017
Stephen was right when he said that this was the most horrifying story he had ever written. Like with all his books, I couldn't put it down. But this time, the underlying reason was because I wanted to get finished with it. Fantastic.
on June 29, 2017
I was a little disappointed by this, partly because King has said he considers it his scariest book. I can understand why he feels that way as the book is centered on the dark premise that "sometimes dead is better," which is indeed a frightening thought. However, to me at least, the book proves this thesis rather quickly. The main character's subsequent struggle with (and fight against) this idea therefore seems crazy. The book notes this, but I still had trouble sympathizing.
on August 18, 2017
One of the best stories written by King. His insight into human emotions and behaviors is spot on, especially where people are in crisis. The suspense is intense and the book is hard to put down. The movie version is pretty good as well.
on January 18, 2016
I love Stephen King and this is definitely a must read!!!!

I would suggest that if you haven't read the book or seen the movie, read the book first!
I wish I had read the book first, I saw the movie when I was a young child. So I knew what was going to happen. But there were quite a few things that I had forgotten since I watched it!
The book is MUCH BETTER than the movie!!!
You actually get to know the characters and what they are thinking and going through.
Such a normal, loving family... Then everything goes to complete madness!

If you are wondering whether or not to read it, just do it! I promise you won't regret it!
on March 15, 2017
Not my favorite Stephen King, but it is definitely up there. There were way more surprises than I was expecting and it kept me guessing the entire time!