Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 475 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,127 reviews
on June 12, 2016
To be clear, this is a review of the 2016 released 50th Anniversary 5 disc box set of The Beach Boys: Pet Sounds.

Anyone interested in dropping $60+ on this set is already a fan of this amazing album. To tell the truth, even as a die hard fan of Pet Sounds and a fan of Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys altogether, I really don't care about having a Mono and Stereo version, a million live, instrumental, or alternate recordings or anything like that. The real prize of this set for me so far is the Blu-Ray audio disc with the 5.1 stereo surround mixes. Oh my goodness. It's like being in the room with the band as they play. The audio quality is almost palpable even over headphones! The quality of these remastered recordings is impeccable and immaculate. It's like listening to a whole different album! This is what music is really meant to sound like. The arrangements by the brilliant Brian Wilson really come alive in these mixes. Everything else really isn't all that new, but of course is still great to listen to. The quality of the book itself is decent. There's felt on the album picture of the goat and the words "Pet Sounds" which was a cute touch, and there's lyrics and backgrounds to the songs and album production inside. The discs are in little pockets at the back of this whole book, which I thought was cool but part of me would have enjoyed something more solid and secure. Still a great set, and I recommend it to any Beach Boys or Pet Sounds fans. Heck, if you listen to music at all I recommend this album to you.
on June 23, 2016
This review is for the 50 anniversary record on MONO

The sound quality is really good and it's what matters, the quality of the record "vinyl" is really bad though, it was really dirty, it came in a paper jacket, and the quality of the sleeve is really bad, it looks and feels cheap.

As I said again, once I clean my record it sound really good.
on January 14, 2012
One thing was always clear when one discussed the most popular artists or bands from the 1960's, The Beach Boys were near the top of each and every list and at one time in the 1960's were voted the most popular band. Sultry vocals and harmonies, great songwriting about things that most people, in the U.S. in particular, could understand and relate to, being on the beach, cars and girls. However, Brian began to want to explore more in music and draw on the rich and outstanding wellspring of musical genius he had within him. This began to eat him up inside as the record label and those within his own band, Mike Love in particular, couldn't nor wouldn't allow themselves to understand. I've heard many reasons for his nervous breakdowns but I believe this to be the catalyst.

This was a man who was hearing wonderful musical themes in his head and was not being allowed the time, space and creative freedom to explore and bring these themes into fruition. On top of that, the "British Invasion" was in full swing and those artists and bands were bringing a fresh perspective on music, both it's recording and production, to the world as well as the "Motown Sound" topping the charts with one great artist after another. Fate typically does things when least expected and fate saw an exhausted Wilson being home recuperating from his breakdown at just the time the "Rubber Soul" album was being released by the Beatles. It would be the album that helped to validate the direction Wilson was feeling his music and that of The Beach Boys should be going.

He found his creative "second wind" and with the help of friend and lyricist Tony Asher, he begin to compose, write, produce and record the songs that would become "Pet Sounds." It was truly an ambitious project and one that would change the face of not just rock music but music in general forever. When his fellow band mates returned off of the remainder of the tour Brian had left, he had basically the entire project completed except for the vocals. Once the other members, along with Brian, laid down their gorgeous vocals which, as usual, were one of the many strengths of the album, they had completed a true game changer and neither they nor the music world would be the same. This album would inspire a whole host of artists to change their entire perspective on how songs should be both written and recorded.

Paul McCartney took a copy to John Lennon and they listened to it over and over again until it became engrained in their thought processes. George Martin, their brilliant producer, also was listening to the album and it was now the catalyst for what would become "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." Funny how fate and destiny work, isn't it? Bravo to you Mr. Brian Wilson, I recently listened to this album from beginning to end and marveled at what was produced. You and Mr. Asher created a masterpiece that truly changed the music world and more importantly, validated your true genius.

P.S. Here's what others were saying about the album and Brian Wilson:

Eric Clapton stated that "All of us, Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce and I consider Pet Sounds to be one of the greatest pop LPs to ever be released. It encompasses everything that's ever knocked me out and rolled it all into one."

Elton John has said of the album, "For me to say that I was enthralled would be an understatement. I had never heard such magical sounds, so amazingly recorded. It undoubtedly changed the way that I, and countless others, approached recording. It is a timeless and amazing recording of incredible genius and beauty."

Beatles producer George Martin stated that "Without Pet Sounds, Sgt. Pepper wouldn't have happened... Pepper was an attempt to equal Pet Sounds."

Paul McCartney has said "It was Pet Sounds that blew me out of the water. I love the album so much. I've just bought my kids each a copy of it for their education in life. I figure no one is educated musically 'til they've heard that album. I love the orchestra, the arrangements. It may be going overboard to say it's the classic of the century, but to me, it certainly is a total, classic record that is unbeatable in many ways. I've often played Pet Sounds and cried. I played it to John [Lennon] so much that it would be difficult for him to escape the influence, it was the record of the time. The thing that really made me sit up and take notice was the bass lines and also, putting melodies in the bass line. That I think was probably the big influence that set me thinking when we recorded Pepper, it set me off on a period I had then for a couple of years of nearly always writing quite melodic bass lines. "God Only Knows" is a big favourite of mine, very emotional, always a bit of a choker for me, that one. On "You Still Believe in Me", I love that melody - that kills me. That's my favourite, I think, it's so beautiful right at the end comes surging back in these multi-coloured harmonies, sends shivers up my spine."

Bob Dylan has said of Brian Wilson's talents, "That ear - I mean, Jesus, he's got to will that to the Smithsonian."

Roger Waters stated that along with Sgt Pepper, Pet Sounds "completely changed everything about records for me."

Elvis Costello stated "Last summer, I heard "Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)" played on the cello. It sounded beautiful and sad, just as it does on Pet Sounds."

Pete Townshend stated "'God Only Knows' is simple and elegant and was stunning when it first appeared; it still sounds perfect".

Tom Petty stated "I think I would put him up there with any composer - especially Pet Sounds. I don't think there is anything better than that, necessarily. I don't think you'd be out of line comparing him to Beethoven - to any composer."
The only way I could write anything about this album that has never been written before is by writing what it means to me personally.

I waited until I was approaching middle-age to become a Beach Boys fan. When I was younger I thought Beach Boys music was trite and dated, but when the new remastered "two-fers" started being released I started buying them and enjoying them a lot.

Not only was the sound quality superb, but the music described the teenage years that I (and I suppose many others) wish they had in their past, but not reality. I wish I had a hot rod in high-school, but I didn't. I wish my Summers were so care free and fun filled, but they weren't. Beach Boys music allowed me to escape into a past I never had and wonder what it might have been like. It made me happy and sad at the same time.

Then I finally discovered Pet Sounds. I couldn't believe it! The Beach Boys were actually singing about reality, and even my reality.

The song "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" seemed like it was written just for me. "They say I've got brains, but they ain't doing me no good." is the story of my life, or at least it seems that way sometimes.

The song "I know There's an Answer" describes so many people I've encountered in my life.

"Caroline No" reminded me of a woman I knew in high school who was beautiful and always smiling and happy, but when I met her at a reunion she had become bitter and her beauty seemed to be gone. Could she ever get it back?

"That's Not Me" reminded me of my attempt to succeed in the fast-paced world of consulting when I got out of college. I had a great job compared to many people, and I worked in some great cities that I never would have seen otherwise, but I discovered the hard way that "That's Not Me".

These songs and the others are woven together into a pop music symphony that never gets old, (though I will say that I listen to it much more often in the Summer than in the Winter).
on March 10, 2017
I purchased this CD that SUPPOSEDLY came with Auto rip to my MP3 library- this is the 2nd one that did not go through... Once again Amazon has dropped the ball ... This is a very good album. I have been hearing a lot about it for years ... There are some very poignant songs ... some have a melancholy/sad message ... and of course, there are the classics we have all heard ... Another good driving album ...
on June 26, 2015
I'm sure most people are looking at this today having seen the movie (Love & Mercy). Seeing the work in progress gives an automatically detailed view on the complexity of this music. I purchased this one about two years ago as I was first discovering the great albums the Boys put out in the mid 60's to early 70's. So to me, even with a couple dozen listens, the songs were just a little too melancholy to really catch my interest, except for the obvious Wouldn't It Be Nice and Sloop John B. They're thoughtful songs, that demand a certain amount of attention to REALLY appreciate. Good headphones are a must!! (Try the Ausdom Bluetooth 'phones!). So at this point, it is difficult to pick any of my personal favorites, every song really holds something special. But I love the vibraphones in Caroline, No, and the viola solo in Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder). As a serious music listener, I cannot imagine not having the album in my collection. Pet Sounds is a testament to the towering genius of Brain Wilson!!
on October 11, 2016
The Beach Boys breaking the surfer mode here. I can imagine a lot of their fans back in the day just didn't know what to make of this album. This is not the perky, peppy sound the West Coast grew up on. This album is much more expansive and takes great risks artistically. It cements their legacy as not just a great surf band, but as one of the best pop groups of all time. Listen to it with an open mind and heart and I think you'll agree
on August 9, 2013
Capitol did an A 1 job with this reissue. Not only is the packaging a near perfect match to the original mono from 1966, but it even looks better and pops more. The images are much more clear and bright. The '66 on Capitol inner sleeve is amazing and looks better than an original I own from my mono Revolver by the Beatles. The inner sleeve has more color and more beauty than its original. They also package the 180 gram vinyl in a separate paper/plastic inner sleeve to keep not only the original style inner sleeve looking fresh, but keeping the vinyl itself protected.

I have read issues where the B-Side is off center, yet mine is dead center. Must've been that one stamper for that press.

On to the sound. The music itself is always superb, but on this press it blows the original mono recording out of the water. It is clearer and is able to show more beauty than that of the muddier original. It even surpasses the mono/stereo digital copies I own. I really recommend this reissue.

All in all Capitol did an astounding job in recreating this Wilson masterpiece. The Capitol Vaults reissues are some of the BEST reissues I've EVER seen. The way they make their packaging and vinyl as original as possible is great and on top of that they brush up the recordings to make them sound way better. It is a must buy even if you have a great original mono copy. If you have a Duophonic copy you REALLY need this mono copy.
on December 22, 2009
This is one of several recent Beach Boys vinyl reissues from Capitol. Some of the albums (Sunflower, Surf's Up) have the "newly remastered for vinyl" sticker, while others (Today!, Summer Days, Pet Sounds) boast a sticker that simply says "faithfully restored." The sound on this one is clean and clear, all the original artwork has been preserved (including a 1960's Capitol catalog inner sleeve), and the 180 gram vinyl has a nice, substantial feel.

This is the original Pet Sounds mono release, catalog number T 2458. The bottom of the back cover has the classic disclaimer, "This monophonic microgroove recording is playable on monophonic and stereo phonographs. It cannot become obsolete. It will continue to be a source of outstanding sound reproduction, providing the finest monophonic performance from any phonograph."

These Capitol reissues are a must-have - perfect for vinyl enthusiasts, collectors, and anyone who wants the album artwork in something larger than the tiny CD liner note size. The sound is beautiful - every bit as good as on the Beach Boys double-album CDs, if not better. Plus the packaging and original artwork. I own them all. There's nothing like opening a brand new LP and enjoying the sound of virgin vinyl. You can't go wrong with the albums in this series.
on April 17, 2017
Watched a short documentary on the making of this album and went to look for my copy LP but probably disappeared years ago. Not vinyl but happy with the CD.