Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Pete the Cat: Big Easter Adventure
Format: Hardcover|Change

on March 22, 2016
My thoughts on this Pete the Cat Easter book: Don't buy it. Half of the book is taken up by a fold-out poster, 1 sticker sheets, and 3 tear-away sheets of Easter cards. If you really WANT a poster and 1 sticker sheet and cards, maybe it's worth the price for you. The story itself? Short and anti-climatic. Pete wakes up to a note from the Easter Bunny asking for help. Pete dresses up like a bunny, finds eggs, paints eggs, hides eggs, then the Easter Bunny shows up and says, "Good job." The End.

The book doesn't have the rhythm and flow that other Pete books have had. The author -almost- had something going with this line: "A cat with ears like a bunny - now that's funny!" This line was repeated once 2 pages later "A cat dressed up like a bunny - now that's funny!" The book could have continued with this theme, showing all the funny things Pete was doing while he played Easter Bunny, and the kids could shout "NOW THAT'S FUNNY!"

But no. This almost-brilliant idea petered out really quickly.

What's missing? Eric Litwin's songs. A good storyteller can make almost any book engaging for kids, but it's certainly helpful when authors and illustrators like James Dean and Eric Litwin combine forces unleash their creative genius on the world. Pete the Cat was an overnight success with the combination of simple and fun stories that involved children in the telling of the stories, whimsical illustrations, and best of all: Eric Litwin's songs. Singing the first few Pete books and acting out some of the motions really made children come alive, and made story time something magical that they looked forward to.

With that said, I've been disappointed with the Pete the Cat books that Eric Litwin has not worked on. No song? The singing is what made Pete so spectacular! It was a gimmick that really worked.

I understand the lack of song in Pete's early reader books, and those early readers are chosen by parents and kids because they have a recognizable character, just like any other early reader with a favorite character. However, none of the newer picture books have companion songs. It's clear that Eric Litwin is done with his Pete the Cat song-writing. The illustrations are still cute, but the stories have become lackluster without memorable prose. There's hundreds of other picture books out there with great illustrations that have more engaging stories. It feels now that James Dean (and more recently his wife Kimberly) are just capitalizing on the character of Pete, with less thought about writing a story that really grabs the attention and imaginations of kids.

My own girls are 7 and almost 9. Even though they have both advanced in their reading level beyond picture books, we still often come back to our favorite picture books when we sit down to read together. They both still choose Pete on a regular basis, but they choose one of the 4 titles that have a companion song: I Love My White Shoes, Rocking in My School Shoes, Four Groovy Buttons and Pete the Cat Saves Christmas.

Our other Pete books sit collecting dust. Time to donate them to the library.
20 people found this helpful
on February 7, 2014
My 3-year-old loves Pete the Cat books and is pretty much obsessed with the White Shoes book and Pete's Wheels on the Bus. We also have the Pete Saves Christmas for holiday bedtime. I figured the Easter book would be right along the same lines as the Christmas one. Not so much. The Christmas one rhymes decently and has a little song (though cheesy) that runs through it. It also has the all-important VW bus that hipster Pete drives.

This book doesn't have much of the groovy stuff of the other books and is somewhat blah. I hate to say that I expected more from a children's book about a spazzy-looking cat, but I kind of did. So, does it get the bedtime job done? Sure. Does it do it with rock 'n roll style? Nope.
37 people found this helpful
on March 30, 2018
My grandson loved all the suprises included within book. Cute Easter book. He is a fan of Pete The Cat books.
on March 19, 2016
Pete the Cat books are the only books my 4 year old son will read so this was a great addition. Nice hardcover with vibrant colors and great additions like a poster, Easter cards, and stickers. This isn't as good as some of the other Pete books but if your child struggles with no interest in reading and they like Pete, this is a winner. We have already read it many times!
on March 8, 2017
whats not to love about pete the cat!? my son loves this book. such a good add for our home library!
on March 6, 2017
My 6yr old daughter will love it. She will be very happy Easter morning. It is great quality, sturdy, and a hardback. It comes with stickers and Easter cards for kids to decorate.
2 people found this helpful
on February 22, 2016
This book was bigger than I thought it would be, which isn't a bad thing. My son got his first Pete the cat book as a gift for his baby shower. It was soo cute I decided to get the whole series as he grows older. I love that there are books for holidays!!
on March 27, 2018
It did the job. My daughter enjoyed it and asked for more when it was through. She has started asking for Petey's story every night before bed.
|11 comment|Report abuse
on July 9, 2017
We own all the pete the cat books, and this one is great. A wonderful addition to the collection! We read it year round (no shame). My 7 year old picks this one a lot.
on May 4, 2014
This book is really sweet. I purchased it for an elementary school library where I volunteer. I read the story primarily to kindergarten students. I know they like a story when they are attentive and don't talk among themselves--their eyes were riveted on this book. At the back of the book is a page with stickers and then two pages of Easter cards--more appropriate for private use. The stickers and cards were cute.