Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 458 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 489 reviews
TOP 100 REVIEWERon May 15, 2016
We like the Pete the Cat books, which are part of Harper Collins' "My First Level, I Can Read!" series. Pete may not be as well known as Little Critter, Biscuit, Fancy Nancy, or the Berenstain Bears, but he has a kid-size groovy vibe that bests those slightly aging franchise bedrocks.

Unlike some of the "I Can Read" books, the Pete books usually have a complete story, with a clear beginning, a couple of developments in the middle, and then a satisfying ending. I like that even in very early readers. What happens makes sense and the endings are satisfying. Each fully illustrated page has two sentences, running from four to seven words each. That's a nice length and a good and fair challenge for a little starting reader. The drawings fully support the text, and while they look a bit amateurish at first the characters are actually expressive and presented effectively.

Many of the Pete books have a mild message, (be yourself, do your best). Here, Pete is choosing an outfit to wear to his first day at school. He takes advice from everyone and ends up way, way overdressed and rather silly looking. Finally, Pete takes off everything and puts on what he wants. Be yourself indeed. The message didn't strike me as terribly heavy-handed, but that's mostly because it was hidden under so many layers of silliness. The Pete books vary in their messageness, and this one does fall a bit to the obvious side of the balance. That said, it's fun and a bit ambitious, which is a nice touch for such an early reader.

So, all in all, this is one of the few early readers books that strikes me as "set worthy" and we've been happy to collect them all over time. The paperback versions are particularly good value.
on January 13, 2017
We bought these for our 4YO,who was progressing quickly through the Bobs books but getting little out of them as they had no story. If you've not used these books before there are some things to note.

These are more complex than other first readers, it's nice t just 3 or 4 letter words, it took my LO a long time to work out how to say favourite
There is word repetition and as an adult, by god it can be annoying
The books are pretty long so don't expect to finish it in one go

That beings said hard work is ok and my son has enjoyed working on these. We have a process of I read a page, then he reads one to boost his confidence

Overall I'm happy with the book but I would like a slightly simpler first reader
on January 30, 2014
So very dissapointed that the Pete in this book is so negative. I agree with other reviewers that the loss of Mr Litwin is noticible in this publication. Pete seems panicky, and negative through the book and not cool like in white shoes and groovy buttons. This book is certianly not worth the money. I will cherish the old pete books!
on March 9, 2015
This book was disappointing. I bought it since my son is a major Pete The Cat fan but he wasnt interested in this book at all and frankly neither was I. There is no song, no asking questions, no fun story line. It was basically "hey its valentines day, watch me make cards for people, the end." The best part of the whole book was the valentines day cards inside. The poster was incredibly dumb and went in the trash pretty quickly. Its a picture of the cover of the book, and then its a picture of the book showing the cover. Pointless. I wouldn't recommend buying this unless you are only looking to get the valentines day cards.
on January 31, 2014
Like others have said, it's not like previous Pete the Cat books. You can't sing it, it's not as catchy/memorable, so I was a little disappointed. But it is sweet, and my kids dug the inserts. Price for the hardback is MUCH better than ordering through my kid's Scholastic Book Club.
on February 18, 2016
We are huge fans of how Eric Litwin brings Pete to life with songs, questions, rhymes. This book, while still boasting excellent illustrations by Mr Dean, was such a horrible disappointment. Pete thinks V-Day is lame. Callie says it's not, so Pete changes his mind & sets to work drawing cool cards for his friends. The boys' cards, which he draws first, reflect their interests & hobbies & what makes them cool, like sports, cars, guitars, etc. The girls' cards reflect nothing unique or interesting about them. They all get the same-- a heart. I guess the girls in Pete's class have no interests outside of being someone's Valentine. Here's the kicker-- after Callie encourages him to embrace the holiday, helps him create cards for just about everyone he knows (from his classmates to the crossing guards, librarian, etc) & invites him to her party, Pete shows up with no Valentine for her. She immediately forgives him because she's just happy to spend time with him, regardless of his thoughtless, uncaring, disrespectful behavior. It's just a children's book, but the message here really struck me as something that I don't want my young daughter to think is ok. If a guy spends all his time (& yours) creating beautiful, thoughtful cards for everybody with a heartbeat, but shows up at your house empty handed, completely forgetting to show you the same respect & admiration he had for everyone else, by all means allow him in your party, but remember that he is not cool. Not cool at all.
No rhymes, no song, no catchy repetitive questions. Just a lame, boring, poorly written story with a terrible message for young girls.
on April 24, 2017
What kid doesn't love Pete the Cat!? I found that this version is different from the same story in another book, but it's ok. I don't like how flimsy these are, but you get what you pay for and these are priced quite affordably.
on February 19, 2015
This book was full of fun for our Granddaughter! It was good to introduce her to Valentine's Day. She feel in love with Pete the Cat.

She really liked making out her little Valentine cards for those she loves. Uncle, Cousin,Gramma,Grampa,Mommy and Daddy!
Valentine's Day is over but reading the book is not. The only thing I had a hard time with was explaining to her that the pages were made to tear out of this book. LOL
on May 6, 2017
My youngest son is in kindergarten and I purchased several of these books to help facilitate his learning. When they were delivered he's grabbed them and started reading them on his own. He loves Pete the Cat.
on April 3, 2017
Grandaughter loves Pete, Iv'e bought several of the series for her. This book was more of a Valentine novelty with stickers and cards rather than a reading book. She still liked it.