Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition $99.99. Limited-time offer. All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Pete Yorn
Format: Audio CD|Change

on February 17, 2013
I am a proud Pete Yorn fan. I'm fanboy hardcore. I don't have a bumper sticker on my car to prove that, but I am. Hey, I'm just saying that this fellow is incapable of being anything, but the coolest thing since (taking a cue from my daughter) the age of the dinosaurs. I'm not about to launch into some "he's the most awesome rock star ever" rant but I will say that he effortlessly satisfies just about every need and expectation my relationship to pop music has.

Mr. Yorn has always had an uncanny ability to remind me of just about every other musician that I have ever liked all at once and always in the best way imaginable. I can see how that might be interpreted as a thinly veiled slight -that he doesn't somehow have his own voice. Gee, I don't subject my appreciation of P. Yorn to a whole lot of introspection and analysis so maybe I'm not giving the man his due. I'll work on that but for now I want to mention The Replacements (Yes, NOT The Pixies). I mean Bob Stinson Replacements -Sorry Ma..., Hootenanny, and Let It Be Replacements. On this LP, more than his other works, he has captured their sound, their entire vibe, their delicate tightrope walked between celebratory explosion and excessive implosion. Sure, it's not present on most of these tracks but when it is it's overwhelming and has a "gets-you-right-there" sort of dynamic to it.

Here's another lazy comparison: Pearl Jam's LP 'Yield'. 'Badman' is a Lou-Reed'ed-up 'Do The Evolution' if ever such a thing is even possible. Come to thinks of it, a lot of these songs have a 'Do The Evolution' aspect to them. What's up with that?

When in doubt, or maybe just when he gets tired, Mr. Yorn always goes country. These impulses and sensibilities become more apparent as the LP shifts to it's mid tempo au revoir (tracks 9 & 11 specifically but also Track 2). The song 'Wheels' seals the case that a good country music is only achieved through low production values and an upper respiratory tract infection. Truly, Wheels is a song worthy of John Townes Van Zandt.

A typical P. Yorn LP is measured and varied. He deliberately calls his shots. Not here. What it loses along those dimensions it gains in sustained focus, synergy and vitality. It's more pervasively and vigorously joyful than his typical fare. Maybe not the songs taken literally, but surely the spirit that envelopes them.

It's not for me to say if this is Mr. Yorn's best record. I'll leave that to you to decide. I will say, however, that this record speaks best to why he's come to mean so much to me.
on November 3, 2010
I am a big fan of Pete Yorn and just adored his album musicforthemorningafter. His other albums were good but nothing came close to the quality of musicforthemorningafter. The first time I heard Velcro Shoes or Precious Stone, I knew he had a masterpiece. The whole album is a great listen and I have been playing it almost non-stop since it came out. I feel the album is inspired by The Ramones and has that classic rock/punk vibe in it. Pete is one of those artists that is so good yet still relatively unknown. I think his being unknown still gives him that edge that alot of musicians lose when they become too famous. He has a real talent and I just love the album.
on October 22, 2010
First of all I'm a big Pete Yorn fan. His first 3 albums were great which is basically a trilogy of sorts. Back and Forth and the record he did with Scarlett Johansen are fairly weak in comparison to the first 3 records. I've read how this album came about with Francis Black and PY getting together over 5 days to record some songs. The problem with this record (I bought the vinyl) is a lot of the songs sound the same - Pete starts of with a basic guitar riff, then the drums kick in etc etc. I think Pete plays most of the guitar parts, not sure as I can not read the credits on the inner sleeve as the font is so small, whoever designed this sleeve should be held accountable for bad design. There is some awful harmonica playing on one song. The sound at times sounds muddy (maybe this is what Francis Black was aiming for). For me the production and songwriting on the first 3 records is what I enjoy about Pete Yorn. All was not lost when I played side 2 - Stronger Than and Wheels are good. I'll hang onto the record it might grow on me.
on October 8, 2010
Before I write my brief-ish review, a minor aside: I would like for not just Amazon, but for iTunes, whatever, to have mp3 sales outside of the greater United States area. I know a lot of it is down to the recording companies, but come on. It's the digital age and everyone has the right to purchase media in any form they wish. Note that I write "purchase", and not "download illegally." If I like an artists' work I would be honored to compensate them for their hard work. Being able to purchase mp3s from a major distributor would just be an extension of that principle. Having to pay up to 20 USD for postage, as opposed to just paying that much for the album in mp3 is a big deal.

Ahem, having said that, and after waiting a week (or two) for my cd to arrive via international post, I am happy to have PY's new album in my possession. It's a blast, literally, the hard rock aspect I loved from Day I Forgot is there, and it's focused. Probably due to the packed recording schedule this album underwent. But it's to PY's benefit. The emotion feels more up front, and I'm just grateful that he got Back & Fourth out of his system. Not to say that I didn't like B&F, it's just a bummer to listen to sometimes. And there were a couple of songs I'd normally skip on that album. On this one, I'm happy to hear all of them in one go. On repeat.

If you liked songs like Carlos or Burrito from Day I Forgot, I am entirely certain you'd love this one. Hearing him belt out "Always" is definitely a highlight, and even reminds us that this is the guy who wrote For Nancy. It's that good. And the tempo he sets in Stronger Than makes the song one of my all time faves. In fact it's hard to pick any individual song as the best from PY, they're all good. Thematically, it's typical Pete (not that it's a bad thing). Think the attitude from earlier tunes like Strange Condition and Lose You, or even the entire B&F album, and you'll get the idea.

One thing I'd like to see in Pete's future albums is the experimental side he displayed in Nightcrawler. Probably his most ignored/underrated album, aside from the excellent Western EP. And for the record, I know MFTMA is a big deal, but the guy really has come a long way since then. This album is proof of that. You just need to listen.

Now if you'll excuse me, I got a certain record to listen to again. Cheers.
on October 20, 2016
Bought this for my son he loves it!
on July 5, 2016
Fine
on October 5, 2012
I really love the song Sans Fear on here and some of the other songs. Not all of them are great in my opinion, but there's enough on here to keep me smiling.
on January 8, 2011
The new Pete Yorn album recorded by Frank Black during a "five-day marathon session" in "Salem, OR where Black and Yorn set up an impromptu studio" sounds terrible. These tracks are as thin and dim as the packaging. Apparently Black and Yorn thought sacrificing sonic depth and texture would automatically translate into raw, spontaneous emotion. The end result is the worst of both worlds, it sounds like a collection of demo tracks recorded by a singer who's got no soul.
on October 23, 2010
What a superb album... blown away on the first listen, not a flaw anywhere on this disk, great tunes :-)
on January 16, 2011
this album does go in a different path than his prior ones, but isn't that the point to always evolve and find new avenues to express oneself. i love it...