Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Peter Capstick's Africa: A Return To The Long Grass
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports

on July 16, 1999
This book is the definitive Capstick work. It is absolutely wonderful, and should be required reading for those who want to go to the Dark Continent and hunt the things that Bite and Trample. Capstick's wit is sparkling. Papa Bear Hemingway would be proud.
on July 31, 2002
This is the second Capstick book I have read (the first being "Death in the Long Grass"), and again I was not dissapointed. In this book he takes the role of the safari client--having retired as professional hunter--, and gives us more of an insight on what it is like to be the client on a big game hunting safari in Africa. He vividly describes the sights, sounds, smells, and the very essence of the Dark Continent.
on September 2, 1997
Return to the Long Grass was probably the best book I have read in years.I could not stop reading it! I could feel the hot African heat and the chilly nights.I would recommend this book to anyone who dreams of going to Africa on a safari
on October 19, 2015
Possibly the best safari book written! Hathaway-Capstick really manages to capture and convey the looks, feels, smells and sounds of the bush.

He also inserts important lessons about the function of trophy hunting in game management and the detrimental consequences resulting from populist demands to ban hunting: local communities then resorting to poaching and cutting down wood, and the enclosure of grazing herds on areas previously teeming with wild life.
on January 7, 2014
One of the best books on hunting and living in Africa as a white man.
Mr. Capstick was a respected hunter and guide who knew how to take care of his safari.
An excellent read for anyone interested in how hunting was done in Africas' golden age.
It is too bad civilization found Africa and changed it into a warring continent.
on March 30, 2015
Peter Capstick (the author) was a modern man, passed away a few years now, one of the last contemporary american white hunters, before white hunters should be native in African countries, and other issues. This book is the second of a two-books series, the first being "death in the long grass". For those who like safary the real way, read this book and you will be in Africa keeping at the good job. Excellent book and written in present grammar style. No ancient uses or means. Absolutely recommendable.
on September 10, 2013
As I have said in previous reviews of Capstick's works, I am a fan. I have hunted Africa and I know firsthand that what he says is accurate. I particularly like his witty metaphors. His readers should view one of his hunting videos in order to get the full flavor of him as a person. He was quite a character - an American who lived in Africa long enough to absorb what I can only describe as colonial British affects in his speech and mannerisms. I own all of his hardbacks and I am putting them on my Kindle as time goes by.
on August 18, 2012
I am a collector of Capstick's books and am delighted to have this book. It was in very good condition and was received promptly. I have always been very pleased with my transactions with Amazon. No doubt, this will be another excellent read when time allows.
on November 10, 2013
If you have read other books by this author it will be a familiar read. I happen to enjoy the stories and its well written. Its a little like sitting with a group of folks swapping stories, but interesting especially if like me you have never done this. The only issue, and its very small issue, I wish the author would stop trying to tell the readers, "Its a good thing we hunt and kill these animals, all the money we bring in" I do not knock hunters, but please dont tell me you are doing the animals a favor in a round about way. Thats right up there with other slogans " We bring you peace and freedom, even if we have to kill you a little bit to do it"
Other than that, I recommend this book to folks who enjoy stories about africa , about the wild places that still exist, that he intertwins stories about local people. Its a good read
on August 19, 2013
Capstick is one of my favorite authors. I have read all his earlier books multiple times. This is a little different. At times disjointed. And I never took any of his earlier books as chest thumping because I knew he really was there and did it. This one does come across a little that way though. Like he is trying to hard to prove he hasn't lost anything in retirement.